All Quiet on the Orient Express

by Magnus Mills | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by abitstormyout of Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 12/14/2006
Journal Entry 1 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 14, 2006
Haven't read yet, but it's on TBR!

Journal Entry 2 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 08, 2007
This wasn't quite as good as The Scheme for Full Employment, but it was still pretty compelling stuff. I read it in a single evening! The thing I like about Magnus Mills is that he gets to the meat of the matter without too much fancy footwork in his narrative. Fancy footwork is alright sometimes; but I like to feel the drive of a good uncomplicated narrative imperative from time to time!

Released 12 yrs ago (2/10/2007 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taking to the Ipswich Meet at Caffe Nero tomorrow!

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, February 10, 2007
Another Magnus Mills from the Turquiose one. Thanks :)

(25/03) From the same pen, and very much the same stable as The Restraint of Beasts (no pun intended). The unnamed hero is left behind at the end of the Lakes tourist season and gets adopted by his landlord and ‘boss’ Tommy Parker and a bunch of weird locals. Things happy very slowly in an MM book, a gentle picking away at a topic, no great literary or descriptive flair, but a building up of tension and menace – ultimately unfulfilled though. I tend to think that this unique style is 99% of what Mills is all about, and there’s less to the plot than meets the eye...but I could be wrong, and there could be great insights into the human psyche and rich layers of meaning and allusion ;)

Released 12 yrs ago (4/8/2007 UTC) at Sheffield Buddhist Centre in Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom

Left on a bench outside, a glorious day for meditating or reading...:)

Journal Entry 6 by SIANP from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 07, 2008
I haven't finished it yet, but I have got past the first chapter which is always a good sign. It seems to be an amusing, easy read with enough mysterious hints at excitement to unfold to keep you going. The writing style is good, easy to get along with, the author knows how to hook a reader.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, April 30, 2009
I bought this book at the Sheffield Buddhist Centre thinking it would be a good read...how wrong I was. Reading some of the other´s comments on here I´m beginning to think it´s just me, or I ´missed the point´ but it was a mundane and boring read about a man getting stuck and taken advantage of. That was it...?? I kept reading thinking it´ll get better but it never did. It just ended in the same fashion it began. Waste of my time and energy really - but hey! You may LOVE it!? I´ve released the li´l baby into deepest darkest Peru. Let´s see where it ends up!!

CAUGHT IN SHEFFIELD SOUTH YORKSHIRE ENGLAND

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, July 28, 2009
found at hostel...wanted to track

CAUGHT IN BARRANCO LIMA PERU