31 Songs

by Nick Hornby | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by abitstormyout of Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 12/7/2006
Journal Entry 1 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 07, 2006
Was given this - not really my bag.

Amazon Synopsis

In his first non-fiction work since "Fever Pitch", Nick Hornby writes about 31 songs - most of them loved, some of them once loved, all of them significant to him. He discusses, among other things, guitar solos, losing your virginity to a Rod Stewart song, singers whose teeth whistle and the sort of music you hear in Body Shop.

Released 13 yrs ago (12/9/2006 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taking this to the First BC Ipswich Christmas Meet tomorrow!

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, December 09, 2006
I'm a big Hornby fan, but haven't got around to this yet. If its as good as Fever Pitch (from a lapsed Arsenal fan), then I'll be well pleased :)

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Part music critique, part memoir, this is neither fish-nor-fowl, and as a big Hornby fan I was a bit disappointed :( Unlike Hi Fidelity & Fever Pitch, which are, respectively more fictional, and more biographical, this sits uncomfortably between the 2. Hornby tries to link individual songs to particular aspects and times in his life…a couple of examples below…or simply as excuses to show off the breadth of his musical knowledge!

I don’t think I’m a big enough muso to appreciate his erudite reviews; reading about songs, I don’t really get it, that’s a bit like reading about food, or if you have synaethesia, hearing with colours!

One good thing about this list, the 31 songs (and 14 albums) is that it has given me a few new artists to try out...which can’t be a bad thing :)

Snippet #1
Being called to task to explain what ‘Get it on/Bang a gong’ means to parents who take the moral high, ground despite having danced to How much is that doggie in the window!, “Rubbishing our children’s tastes is one of the few pleasures remaining to us as we become old, redundant and culturally marginalized.”

Snippet #2:
NH has an autistic son, and in his uncommunicating world, the way that he reacts to and starts to appreciate music is a joy and consolation, “[its] why I love the relationship that anyone has with music; because there’s something in us that’s beyond the reach of words...It’s the best part of us, probably the richest and strangest part, and Danny’s got it too.”

Snippet #3:
NH has some interesting comparisons between writing (popular fiction) and music-making, and its subsequent marketing and role in society; obviously music and words are the 2 most important things in his life, after his son that is. Between Bruce Springstein (Thunder Road) and Anne Tyler (Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant), “I’m talking about understanding...the soul of both the work and the creator.”

Journal Entry 5 by wingsoffitta1wing at Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 22, 2017
Just bought this at Oxfam in Ipswich. A wishlist book, so was pleased to see a label in it!
Read on a car journey- a right mix of tunes and his (sometimes) meandering thoughts about the tracks of his life. Interesting, though I must confess I didn't know a lot of the tracks.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsoffitta1wing at Plas Newydd in Anglesey, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, August 27, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/27/2017 UTC) at Plas Newydd in Anglesey, Wales United Kingdom

Left in the second hand bookshop as a donation.