Troll: A Love Story (aka Not Before Sundown)

by Johanna Sinisalo, Herbert Lomas | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/2/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, December 02, 2006
I first read this book courtesy of myntti's bookring, and loved it so much that I bought a copy of my own. [I like my cover-art better but I preferred the other title, Not Before Sundown; oh, well, what can you do? {grin}]

I absolutely loved this book! From the mix of point-of-view and documentary-evidence in the storytelling to the devastatingly clear descriptions - sketched with the utmost economy and yet making me incredibly aware of the details - plus the sensuality and the fear and the growing suspense... It's simply wonderful!

I found that the descriptions of Pessi were so vivid that I could almost feel him myself - an armful of deceptively slight muscle and fur, reminding me more of a wild cat but in humanoid shape. The early chapters in which Angel learns how to care for him were very funny - except for the guinea pigs, of course; who was training whom, indeed? And some of the romantic complications with the men Angel's chasing and the ones who are chasing him were amusing at first, until it began to be clear just how self-centered most of the players were. (Very realistic, though; so often the one pursued has no interest in the pursuer, but is busily chasing someone else.) Ecke, bless him, does get some very good bits; early on he's ruminating on how each person (and animal) sees a city in a different way, from the fashion-conscious who see a string of storefronts to a dog who sees scents. Some lovely (and often funny) images in that bit.

I loved the factual-sounding inserts - some of them were very tantalizing, and I find myself hoping that maybe there really is a Tom of Finland work titled Trolls and Fairies out there somewhere {grin}. I'd dearly love to know whether Calvin Klein cologne really does stimulate male ocelots to breed. And I got a big kick out of the faux news article "Wild Beasts Haunt Our Cities," as I'd recently read Beast in the Garden, about real-life predators-in-the-city situations, and found Sinisalo's version to be seamless...

The last section of the book, Part 5, was like a series of quick-cut film segments with ever-increasing tension; it was clear that something awful was going to happen but not how it would play out or who would survive. I don't want to give any spoilers, but will say that I was pleased with the ending, though a bit sad. And I give full marks to the author for seamlessly integrating her mythological creatures into a world that felt utterly real.

And whenever I smell juniper berries I'll think of Pessi...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Went looking for this book to re-read a passage and couldn't find it, so now I'm thinking I may have lent it to my sister in New York.

Update, 11/2009: Yep! She enjoyed it, but she doesn't journal; she gave it back to me when I went down for a visit.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 06, 2019

Released 1 wk ago (9/7/2019 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer book_drunkard for the US/Canada wishlist-tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Thursday, September 12, 2019
Received today.

Thank you, very much, for tagging me.