The Discovery of Chocolate

by James Runcie | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 000710782x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Apechild of York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 12/2/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 2, 2006
Chocolate - one of my favourite subjects =) And you get so hungry reading this book; just a warning that you will get chocolate cravings.

It's a latin fairystory driven by chocolate really. Diego, Spanish lad off to seek his fortune in the 1500s, joins the conquisterdors and sails over to Mexico. Here he meets the love of his life, who also introduces him to chocolate which becomes a bit of an obsession. After fighting between the Spanish and the Mexicans, they are seperated. He returns to Mexico to try and find her a couple of years later, but finds her grave. He is forced to live with his grief for centuries, as before they seperated she had given him a magical chocolate drink, so that he lives for over 500 years. And on his chocolate adventures over the centuries, he gets to meet some interesting historical characters.

I was really lucky in finding this book. Not just that it has been an enjoyable read but also that I found a hardback copy in excellant condition for two pounds!