A Heart of Stone

by Renate Dorrestein, Hester Velmans | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 014200023x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Elefteria of Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on 11/30/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, November 30, 2006
This book is going to travel to Greece, to be a bookring there. Renate Dorrestein is one of my favourite Dutch author. I would love to know how you all like it, because I think her writing style and themes have something "typical dutch". i got a book from apapsa from Margarita Leberaki and I will send her this book in return... exchanging some culture :-))
with love from Netherlands and from Elefteria!

from the backcover:
"Growing up with her adored siblings in a rambling house in Holland, clever, precoious Ellen has an idyllic childhood suffused with Americana from her parants' news-clippin service - from CocaCola to Kissinger to Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon. But amid the happiness lies terror and unimaginable heartbreak and a twelfth birthday that haunts her still. Twenty-five years later, as Ellen tries to make sens of her adulthood, she brilliantly captuers her loss and longings and her struggles to despel the ghosts of her past."

I'll reread the book before sending it to apapsa next week.

Released 13 yrs ago (12/12/2006 UTC) at Enjoy! in Controlled Release, Given to a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

This book is travelling to Apapsa in Greece.
hope you enjoy this popular dutch writer. I like her books very much. bye from Netherlands, hope to see you in Greece!

Journal Entry 3 by apapsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, January 02, 2007
I just gor this book from Elefteria and I am very eager to read it! It looks lovely!

When I'm done I will start the ring and hopefully it will travel to many Greek bookcrossers!

Looking forward to meeting you in the summer... And for now... Happy New Year!!!! :o)

Journal Entry 4 by apapsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, July 31, 2007
One of the best books I've read in the last years... It will probably haunt me for days.... Very well written, and an absolutely gripping story... There was only a small thing that left me uneasy by the end of the story, but I'm not giving anything away, as the book is going on a bookray.

I was so lucky to have read this book. Thank you Elefteria for picking this one up for me. I'm sure the greek bookcrossers who will read it will also enjoy it.

Journal Entry 5 by apapsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Bookray list:

StrangeEmily -Athens
deadendmind -Athens
dimicorf -Athens
Kermit60 -Athens
okyrhoe -Athens
nameless1-2 -Athens
nona35 -Syros

(The order of the list might change in the following days...)

Journal Entry 6 by apapsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, August 26, 2007
Last night I gave the book to tzoutzou, so she could pass it on to StrangeEmily, as I wasn't going to make it to today's meetup.

Journal Entry 7 by StrangeEmily from Trikala, Trikala Greece on Sunday, August 26, 2007
Tzoutzou gave it today at our monthly meetup. The picture on the front page of the book, brings to my mind the image of people of my country today who run away from burning forests...

Thank you apapsa for thinking of me about this bookray, I'll read it as soon as possible.

Dankjewel Elefteria! Groetjes!

Journal Entry 8 by deadendmind from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Emily gave me the book a couple of days ago. I will try to read it soon and pass it on to the next reader.

Thank you Elefteria! :-)

Journal Entry 9 by deadendmind from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, October 14, 2007
I really liked this book! It is beautifully written, without confusing the reader despite all the flashbacks. The character of Ellen is crafted expertly, throughout her life of tragedy and coping. The book also deals with an issue we are not very informed on and it was interesting to read about it. I must say it had me hooked.
I'm very glad I was given the opportunity to read this book. I probably would never have read it otherwise.
I will contact dimicorf who is next on the list.

Journal Entry 10 by kermit60 from Nea Smirni, Attica Greece on Monday, October 29, 2007
Deadnmind brought it yesterday in Bartesera!
Thank you Dem and thank you Elefteria for the book ring!
I will try to read as fast i can !

Journal Entry 11 by kermit60 from Nea Smirni, Attica Greece on Friday, November 02, 2007
Thank you Elefteria for the book, thank you apapsa for the bookring!

I must say that if i were in a bookstore and looking around for buying a book ...i wouldn't select it.
I have a lot of years to read such a book it was extremely good very well written unfortunately the life for Ellen was full of dramatical happenings , i couldn't sleep for two nights although i was curious for the end!

Thank you Elefteria for the opurtunity to read the book and for knowing t Renate Dorrestein.

Traveling by post to Okyrhoe!!

Journal Entry 12 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Arrived in my p.o.box last Friday and I am already halfway into book.

Thanks apapsa for including me in this bookray and Kermit60 for posting it to me, along with an envelope full of Bookcrossing goodies!!! It made my day :-)***Ευχαριστώ!***

Journal Entry 13 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Friday, November 30, 2007
Got a reply from nameless1-2 who is asking to be skipped. Will contact nona35.

ETA - Hopefully will be meeting nona35 by Jan 6th to give her the book in person!

Journal Entry 14 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Saturday, January 05, 2008
Today I finally get to meet nona35.

It's quite a coincidence that she and I were in another ring together, for The Lovely Bones. These two novels share many themes, and I am tempted to make a comparison/contrast. I think that TLB is a lighter, yet more creative, book than A Heart of Stone. I am not sure I understand the tone or the point of view in AHoS. I had a chance to read it twice (well, the second time I merely skimmed through), and I can't say I was very moved by Ellen's journey through life. Maybe the emotional space between the protagonist and reader is meant to be so distanced, I'm not sure.