Bodies

by Kirsty Carse | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Halloween-Queen of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 11/28/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Halloween-Queen from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Here's a little 'blurb' about the novel:

Lucy can't take any more of her messy life and failing career. When the man she has a crush on offers her a live-in housekeeping job, it seems like an ideal escape route.

Both Nik and his lodger, Joe, are glad to have Lucy around. But what are they hiding from her? Why are they deleting her emails? And what are they doing for hours at a time in the locked basement?

Lucy suspects they are involved in supplying drugs and determines to find out more. But one night she is woken by a car screeching to a halt outside and a man's screams followed by a gunshot. Joe runs up to her room spattered with blood. She is only on the brink of realising that what they are up to is a lot darker and far, far worse than she imagined.

And she is about to be dragged right into it.

DON'T FORGET: IF YOU CAN'T FIND THE COPY I BOOKCROSSED, YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE NOVEL ANYTIME FOR FREE ON MY WEBSITE (www.kirsty-carse.com)

Released 13 yrs ago (11/28/2006 UTC) at Cambridge Coffee Company, OBCZ in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Hi Kirsty - good to meet you ;)

I'll try and read this quickly and pass on, as you know we have a ready supply of book-a-holics here to help spread the word...

Journal Entry 4 by Halloween-Queen from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Brilliant! Thanks for catching my book - hope you enjoy it ;-)

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
*includes spoiler*

Lucy Kennicot may turn into the fallguy (fallgirl?) for a criminal gang, but her only real crimes are to be incredibly naïve, malleable, and dare I say, stupid! The glimpse into her family history (parent’s recent messy separation) doesn’t really explain how she falls so completely for the svengali figure Nik and the false security of a home, friends/lovers and a valued occupation...at any cost?

Kirsty Carse keeps the tension building consistently throughout the story as Lucy gets sucked into the dangerous world of psychopaths and misfits Nik and Joe, but, I was waiting for a little more of a dramatic ending or twist? The last few pages rush through the break-up of the operation and the trio, the trial and imprisonment, and, other than Lucy being drugged and a bit more background on Nik, it all feels a little unreal and incomplete.

I would not consider myself a fan of this genre...psychological horror/thriller(!)...but it is a very well written, emotionally-charged and controlled page-turner. Well done Kirsty :-)

Ps. one of the reasons that I had this book for so long was that my 14 yo daughter read it, and she really enjoyed it. She’s a big reader, a Poirot and a horror-film fan, so a good fit all round!

Released 12 yrs ago (4/14/2007 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

I took this along to today's Ipswich and Suffolk meet-up. There was some interest but I left before anyone nabbed it! Enjoy...:)

Journal Entry 7 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, April 14, 2007
I flicked briefly through this at our bookcrossing meetup, not really wanting to pick up another book, because my to-be-read pile is currently tottering over my head.
Then I read the first few pages, and found myself wanting to read more. So here I am, with another book added to my stack.
New authors deserve all support they can get, so I'm going to skip this to the top of the pile and read it on holiday, aged parents allowing.
I'll give you my honest thoughts once I've finished. Thanks for sharing your novel!

Journal Entry 8 by Halloween-Queen from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 15, 2007
Thanks, guys, for the interest in my book and all the support! It's great to know that you're passing my book around. I'll look forward to reading your feedback - and thanks, BookGroupMan for yours (and your daughter's!)

Journal Entry 9 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, April 29, 2007
My 18th read of the year was an unpublished thriller passed around through bookcrossing. Kirsty Carse's "Bodies" may not be the best thriller I've ever read, but it's certainly a good one. This is evidenced by the fact that I picked it up at a bookcrossing meeting and decided to take it home after the first three pages.
It's the story of a girl who hates both her life and her job, but finds herself offered another one, working for a man she's had her eye on for some time. Housekeeping for two bachelors in a country mansion, she's feels happy and fulfilled, even more so when she is invited to help the men in their business. Determined to keep her head in the sand, she successfully rationalises the strange activities she takes part in until she is taken fully into her employer's confidence. Their lives become so enmeshed that she finds herself unable to back out.
I was frequently irritated by the central character naivety, and wanted to know more of why she acted and thought as she did, but she was characterised well, a quality shared by the other two leads. The novel is smoothly written and pacily plotted, which is something that sadly does not apply to some of the published thrillers I've read recently.

Journal Entry 10 by Halloween-Queen from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2007
Thanks very much for reading and reviewing!