Eats Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

by Lynne Truss | Education |
Registered by Wordsnark on 11/19/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Wordsnark on Sunday, November 19, 2006
This is an amusing and relatively painless way to understand, and improve, punctuation. I believe I wrote the preceding sentence correctly.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 03, 2006
I grabbed this at the Oakville meetup today! (It was nice meeting you!)

I'd like to think that my punctuation improved after taking my GMAT, but I know that I still have a ways to go. Maybe this book will help!

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 25, 2009
A "stickler" for proper punctuation, Truss takes to the pages of Eats, Shoots & Leaves to give the reader a lesson. Where did the comma originate and what are its uses? Why are apostrophes so often used incorrectly by grocery stores? These questions and everything else you want to know about punctuation are answered in the book.

I had heard many good things about this book, which is why I picked it up. Yet I found that it in no way lived up to its hype. The American/British comparisons weren't as relevant because Canadians use similar spelling and grammar to the British. Instead, I found Truss to be rather preachy and the lessons to be dull. I'm sad to say that I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone, though I do have a co-worker that is interested in reading regardless of my lackluster recommendation.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 14, 2009
I have mailed this to RockDg9 as an early Christmas RABCK.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Thursday, October 22, 2009
Thank you so much HoserLauren! I've been wanting to read this book for a long time.

Journal Entry 6 by RockDg9 at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Thursday, July 15, 2010
I really loved this: it's proof that I'm not the worst grammar or punctuation Nazi around. It also taught me a thing or two I didn't know about the correct use of punctuation, which is fantastic! Now I just have to remember it all and not slip back into old ways.

Journal Entry 7 by RockDg9 at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/21/2010 UTC) at Toowoomba, Queensland Australia