Cloudstreet

by Tim Winton | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Pinshnowdy of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 11/18/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Pinshnowdy from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 18, 2006
I am your SECRET SANTA!!!!! Merry Christmas and Happy Reading=)

Journal Entry 2 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, December 25, 2006
Thanks! I love the book. I hope to read it soon.

Journal Entry 3 by blackadder75 at bookobsessed.com, book swap -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 21, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/21/2009 UTC) at bookobsessed.com, book swap -- Controlled Releases

Sent out as part of the Reverse Wishlist book relay.

Journal Entry 4 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Sunday, February 22, 2009
I'm excited to read this book. I recently read Breath by the same author and really enjoyed it. I've heard that this one is really his best book.

Journal Entry 5 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Tuesday, August 16, 2016
I ended up listening to this as an audiobook. Here is my review of that. I will find a new home for this paperback soon.
------------------
Tim Winton is a heck of a writer. He brings characters and places alive and makes them feel like real people -- sort of like distant relatives that you've heard stories about. The whole book had the feel of sitting down with a great-uncle and having him tell you about the Australian branch of his family tree (not that my family actually has an Australian branch, but still). I've seen this called a "family saga" and that seems about right -- this is more a chunk of life book than a plot-driven story. Mind you, the characters do things, but there's no central story other than the interactions and lives of these characters.

I think I should have read this book in print. While Peter Hosking has a pleasant reading voice, I kept getting the characters mixed up in my head and had to keep reviewing which ones were part of the Lamb family and which part of the Pickles.

The only other book by Winton I've read is Breath, which I liked a bit better that this. Still, I'll definitely read more of his novels.