Atonement: A Novel (ARC)

by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 038572179x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingthegoaliegirlwing of Vancouver, Washington USA on 11/14/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Ian McEwan’s symphonic novel of love and war, childhood and class, guilt and forgiveness provides all the satisfaction of a brilliant narrative and the provocation we have come to expect from this master of English prose.

On a hot summer day in 1935, thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis witnesses a moment’s flirtation between her older sister, Cecilia, and Robbie Turner, the son of a servant and Cecilia’s childhood friend. But Briony’s incomplete grasp of adult motives–together with her precocious literary gifts–brings about a crime that will change all their lives. As it follows that crime’s repercussions through the chaos and carnage of World War II and into the close of the twentieth century, Atonement engages the reader on every conceivable level, with an ease and authority that mark it as a genuine masterpiece.

Released 10 yrs ago (10/23/2008 UTC) at Doubletree Hotel - 10100 College Blvd. in Overland Park, Kansas USA

Left in the Book Buffet at the Kansas City UnConvention.

Journal Entry 3 by mysterylady36 from Ashland, Missouri USA on Monday, November 16, 2009
Picked up at the Book Buffet in Kansas City.

Journal Entry 4 by mysterylady36 from Ashland, Missouri USA on Sunday, March 14, 2010
Once I got used to the style of the author I really enjoyed the book. I liked that it not all of the characters had a completely happy ending, but at least some of them did. I really would like to have had more about Lola and what she was thinking. I hope she was not happy in her life.