River God: A Novel of Ancient Egypt

by Wilbur Smith | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by BooksnBeer of Annandale, Virginia USA on 11/9/2006
Journal Entry 1 by BooksnBeer from Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, November 09, 2006
From the back cover:
Ancient Egypt. Land of the Pharaohs. A kingdom built on gold. A legend shattered by greed... Now the Valley of the Kings lies ravaged by civil war, drained of its lifeblood, as weak men inherit the cherished crown.

Journal Entry 2 by BooksnBeer from Annandale, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 26, 2006
This is on it's way to another bookcrosser, selected from the Lucky 3s virtual bookbox. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Friday, January 05, 2007
I got back from vacation today and this book was waiting for me. I selected it from the Lucky 3s virtual bookbox. Thank you BooksnBeer for putting it in.

Journal Entry 4 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Tuesday, July 31, 2007
This is an epic tale about Egypt around 1780BC. It is definitely a page turner. It is also very violet and describes many bloody battles, torture and executions.

Journal Entry 5 by tranq1 at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (7/31/2007 UTC) at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending to msjoanna forthe historical fiction VBB on bookobsessed.com.

Journal Entry 6 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Saturday, August 04, 2007
Thanks tranq1 for including this in the Historical Fiction VBB. Looks like a perfect airplane read.

Journal Entry 7 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Friday, August 02, 2013
Perhaps because I read The Clan of the Cave Bear when I was an impressionable teenager, I've always had guilty-pleasure love for ancient history stories of adventure and romance. While this book is far further in the future than Auel's series, it's practically as foreign as it explores the universe of ancient Egyptians. And, just as Ayla (Auel's heroine) invents practically everything (including domestication of horses), Taita (the hero here) is a master of everything and personally has just about every good idea the society ever had.

Still, I found Taita utterly compelling and the choice to tell the story through the eyes of a eunuch-slave saved this book from the cringe-worthy sex scenes that so predominate many of Auel's novels. Instead, there's plenty of battles and adventure to bind the long novel.

This is summer reading at its best - plot-driven, fun world building, lots of battles. I doubt the historical accuracy here, but I wasn't reading this to learn about Egypt, I was reading it for pure entertainment. As such, it worked splendidly.