Roseanna

by Maj Sjöwall, Per Wahlöö | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by 0806244701 on 11/4/2006
Journal Entry 1 by 0806244701 on Saturday, November 04, 2006
Not the cover in the picture.

"Roseanna" begins on a July afternoon, when the body of a young woman is dredged from Sweden's beautiful Lake Vättern. Three months later, all that Police Inspector Martin Beck knows is that her name is Roseanna, that she came from Lincoln, Nebraska, and that she could have been strangled by any one of eighty-five people. With its authentically rendered settings and vividly realized characters, and its command over the intricately woven details of police detection, "Roseanna" is a masterpiece of suspense and sadness.

This is the first book in the classic "Martin Beck" detective series from the 1960s - the novels that have inspired all crime fiction written ever since. Widely recognized as the greatest masterpieces of crime fiction ever written, these are the original detective stories that pioneered the detective genre and inspired writers from Agatha Christie to Henning Mankell and Graham Greene to Jonathan Franzen. Translated into 35 languages, they have sold over 10 million copies around the world. Written in the 1960s, they are the work of Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö - a husband and wife team from Sweden. The ten novels follow the fortunes of the detective Martin Beck, whose enigmatic, taciturn character has inspired countless other policemen in crime fiction. The novels can be read separately, but do follow a chronological order, so the reader can become familiar with the characters and develop a loyalty to the series. Each book will have a new introduction in order to help bring these books to a new audience.

Journal Entry 2 by 0806244701 at on Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (1/23/2007 UTC) at

Greetings from Sweden

Journal Entry 3 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, January 28, 2007
Oh! you temptress QW!
Firstly, the book arrived safely in Wellington today as part of your Swedish contribution for our Convention. I so love the way you have presented these books and will take care that they are given a special place amid the gathering collection of books - not all presented so nicely.

When I read your initial journal entry I felt like shouting "Me! Me! please".

I am a huge fan of crime stories and of late most especially Scandinavian crime stories. Henning Mankell and Karin Fossum are two authors whose books I seek out. I find that the ambience in these translated books had a special appeal for me.

Collecting the convention mail is very exciting and I must confess that I have been able to have a quick read of some of the books. WIth this one wrapped I won't dare divering this to my own use. I will though ensure that the name of these authors and their Martin Beck series gets into the book where I keep notes of special authors I want to read. I've not seen them at all here though.

Thank you so much for this wonderful package, and this book in particular.

Journal Entry 4 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Monday, February 19, 2007
Mmmm a book and chocolate! Thank you Qw for your contribution to the convention, and SF nver fear I will send it your way!

Journal Entry 5 by wombles at Dog & Parrott Tavern in Robina, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 21, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (7/21/2007 UTC) at Dog & Parrott Tavern in Robina, Queensland Australia

changed my mind

Journal Entry 6 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 21, 2007
forgot I was saving this for SF

Journal Entry 7 by wombles at Australian Bookcrossing convention 2007 in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, September 29, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (10/5/2007 UTC) at Australian Bookcrossing convention 2007 in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

For a special bookcrosser!

Journal Entry 8 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, October 12, 2007
At the BCAU Convention 2007 in Melbourne I was truly delighted when I realised what a gem Wombles had 'returned' to me. I'd not read it earlier this year when it was sent, so beautifully wrapped, for the NZ Convention. Am thrilled to have the opportunity to read it now. In fact I've already started it and am quite captivated by the style of the joint authors.

During the Australian Convention the attendees were treated to a superb lecture by Mary, the owner of "Readers Feast" a wonderful bookshop in Melbourne. QW, you'd love that place. Mary, owner for 30 years, specialises in the crime genre and is currently concentrating on Scandinavian authors. I was thrilled when revisiting the shop after the convention ended to see a whole set of Martin Beck stories so purchased the next one in the series. (Not that I needed any more books after the Convention but the opportunity was too good to turn down. Doesn't look as if these books come to NZ at all so I'll have to do something about that.

Thanks QW for the introduction, and many thanks Wombles for realising how much I'd appreciate reading it.

Journal Entry 9 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, October 15, 2007
This style of writing is rather unusual. In some places it seemed not to be moving at all, and indeed it wasn't. A long painstaking search to solve this mysterious death and find the identity of this mystery corpse. Martin Beck is an interesting addition to the list of detectives I admire; harder to get to know than some but that adds to his appeal.

The tale is different from the more usual "blood and guts" tale or the those with a painstaking gathering of forensic clues in books that I've been reading lately. I think it is that difference that really gives such Scandinavian writers their appeal to me.

RELEASE NOTE

Releasing tonight at the Wellington BookCrossing Meet-up.
I'll try to give it good press so someone values it as much as I have will take it, read it and pass it on.

I'm certainly looking forward to reading more in the Martin Beck series.

Journal Entry 10 by wingEdwardstreetwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, October 16, 2007
TBR

Released some time ago in the great downsizing cleanout