The Constant Gardener

by John le Carré | Audiobooks |
Registered by YowlYY on 10/28/2006
Journal Entry 1 by YowlYY on Saturday, October 28, 2006
From www.barnesandnoble.com:

Frightening, heartbreaking, and exquisitely calibrated, John le Carré's new novel opens with the gruesome murder of the young and beautiful Tessa Quayle near northern Kenya's Lake Turkana, the birthplace of mankind. Her putative African lover and traveling companion, a doctor with one of the aid agencies, has vanished from the scene of the crime. Tessa's much older husband, Justin, a career diplomat at the British High Commission in Nairobi, sets out on a personal odyssey in pursuit of the killers and their motive. What he might know and what he ultimately learns make him suspect among his own colleagues and a target for the profiteers who killed his wife.

A master chronicler of the deceptions and betrayals of ordinary people caught in political conflict, le Carré portrays, in The Constant Gardener, the dark side of unbridled capitalism. His eighteenth novel is also the profoundly moving story of a man whom tragedy elevates. Justin Quayle, amateur gardener and ineffectual bureaucrat, seemingly oblivious to his wife's cause, discovers his own resources and the extraordinary courage of the woman he barely had time to love.
The Constant Gardener is a magnificent exploration of the new world order by one of the most compelling and elegant storytellers of our time.

Journal Entry 2 by YowlYY on Sunday, October 29, 2006
Started to read yesterday... will be updating this JE once finished, and maybe start a bookring for this. I loved the movie!

Journal Entry 3 by YowlYY on Friday, November 17, 2006
A very moving story, and one that makes you angry at the power of the big pharmaceutical companies out there. Sure, Le Carre writes in the Author's Note that everything in his book is fiction, but we know better, don't we?
It was my first book by this author, and I admit that I picked it up because I wanted to see how much of the book went into the film, which was phantastic...I was impressed to see that Fernando Meirelles did an excellent job in incorporating into the movie the most important bits, another film that does justice to the book. Wonderful! I will now dare and try other books by Le Carre, but maybe not just now...

The book is going to be sent out on a ring (UK-Europe), as long as I can find someone who hasn't yet read it and wants to :)

Journal Entry 4 by YowlYY on Friday, November 17, 2006
Participants to the bookring (in no specific order yet):

Yesterday's Girl
wyjane
riverwillow (former kitkat8)<--- reading
juliako - ships UK
scotsbookie - ships UK & EU
JamsODonnellToo - Germany

Journal Entry 5 by yesterdaysgirl from Frimley, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, November 20, 2006
Arrived this morning. Thanks Gabriella!

I will read it and pass on to the next person on the bookring soon!

I will make a new JE when it has been read :)

Journal Entry 6 by yesterdaysgirl from Frimley, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, November 30, 2006
Just wanted to say I am about half way through and I absolutely LOVE the book! So captivating!

I seem to have got a few others into BCing now thanks to that book. They saw what I was reading and wanted to know how I got it!

Journal Entry 7 by yesterdaysgirl from Frimley, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, December 14, 2006
LOVED the book!

I don't want to spoil it for other future readers, so I shan't give away the ending, but I did not see that coming!

Justin's character really develops through the book, and by the end you can really sympathise with him.

I am so glad I participated in the ring, and will now contact the next person.

Journal Entry 8 by yesterdaysgirl from Frimley, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, December 14, 2006
Posted to wyjane 15/12/06!

Journal Entry 9 by wyjane from Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 18, 2006
arrived safely in the christmas post - though I don't think I'll have time to get to it til January. I think this is one my husband would like, so maybe I'll let him read before me.

Journal Entry 10 by wyjane from Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 26, 2007
Apologies all round, this has been sitting in my house when it should have been on the move.

I thought it was a terrific book - if only half of it was true it would still be a huge inditement of 'our' attitude towards Africa. After reading I watched the film on DVD and I have to say it wasn't anywhere as good as the book. But there is an article in yesterdays Sunday Times (that I haven't had time to read yet) about Rachel Weisz, the actress who plays Tessa, getting involved in helping people in shanty towns.

Will contact riverwillow asap to send the book on.

Journal Entry 11 by riverwillow from Beckenham, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 30, 2007
Thank you everyone the book arrived safe and sound yesterday morning. I am so looking forward to reading this one, but have an overdue essay to write on a book I loathe so I am going to hide this somewhere so I am not tempted to read it now and it can be my post-essay treat.