The End of Mr Y

by Scarlett Thomas | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by MartiP on 10/27/2006
Journal Entry 1 by MartiP on Friday, October 27, 2006
Thomas was a new author to me, but the cover caught my eye and the big bold print question on the back sounded interesting, so I bought it on a whim. It involves a graduate student, a disappeared professor, a cursed book, philosophy, quantum physics, religion, 19th century mind experiments, and possibly drug hallucinations. Or is it an alternate universe?

Our heroine arrives at university to work on her PhD in 19th century thought experiments. The professor who was supposed to be mentoring her has mysteriously disappeared. She finds a book in a rundown bookshop, called "The End of Mr. Y" - a book that is rumoured to be cursed. As she tries to find out what has happened to the professor, she discovers (via the book) an alternate universe where one can travel in the minds of others.

What happened to the professor? What are quarks? Are space and time the same thing? Is thought made of matter? Are there other dimensions that can be accessed, or is it all an illusion? Is THIS dimension an illusion? Can all of these questions be addressed in an entertaining way as a cracking good mystery novel? You betcha.

And lastly, there is the question on the back cover of this book: "If you knew this book was cursed, would you read it?" I did, and enjoyed it immensely! :-)