The House on the Strand

by Daphne Du Maurier, Celia Brayfield | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nyassa-ici on 10/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by nyassa-ici on Thursday, October 26, 2006
Synopsis
Dick Young is lent a house in Cornwall by his friend Professor Magnus Lane. During his stay he agrees to serve as a guinea pig for a new drug that Magnus has discovered in his biochemical researches. The effect of this drug is to transport Dick from the house at Kilmarth to the Cornwall of the 14th century. There, in the manor of Tywardreath, the domain of Sir Henry Champernoune, he witnesses intrigue, adultery and murder. As his time travelling increases, Dick resents more and more the days he must spend in the modern world, longing ever more fervently to get back into his world of centuries before ...

Journal Entry 2 by nyassa from Deal, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, November 13, 2006
I started off the book and wondered if I was going to enjoy it, but I was won over fairly rapidly. I had been looking forward to it because I have recently read Daphne du Maurier's biography by Margaret Forster but when I started the book I found the style dated, especially as it followed a similar structure to Labyrinth and the Virgin Blue which I have read very recently.

I got the impression that Daphne du Maurier really didn't like people. Dick was without a doubt an idiot, and his wife and her children weren't portrayed in a sympathetic way. Actually they didn't come across as real people at all.
I felt I should have had more sympathy towards Dick, as the main character and narrator, but I couldn't manage to warm to him. He seemed very weak, and why on earth did he marry Vita? He didn't appear to like her at all. The character I liked best was the doctor!

It was an interesting plot but I found myself pulled up short by the "science". If he wasn't to touch any living thing, did insects not count etc.?

Journal Entry 3 by nyassa at Cart & Horses pub, Kings Worthy in Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (3/15/2007 UTC) at Cart & Horses pub, Kings Worthy in Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom

Inside the pub at tonight's meet-up

Journal Entry 4 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 16, 2007
Brought this book home from the meet up intending to release at StGeorges OBCZ but I think it might stay with me for a while yet. Thank you Nyassa. LOL

Journal Entry 5 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 02, 2010
Sorry that this book has been with me so long without being read. I'm having a book cull so I will be moving it on very soon.