For One More Day

by Mitch Albom | Other |
Registered by carlissa of Gainesville, Florida USA on 10/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Monday, October 23, 2006
From the Publisher:

From the author of The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie, a new novel that millions of fans have been waiting for.

"Every family is a ghost story . . ."

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss.

For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one?

As a child, Charley "Chick" Benetto was told by his father, "You can be a mama's boy or a daddy's boy, but you can't be both." So he chooses his father, only to see the man disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence.

Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been crumbled by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits bottom after discovering his only daughter has shut him out of her wedding. And he decides to take his own life.

He makes a midnight ride to his small hometown, with plans to do himself in. But upon failing even to do that, he staggers back to his old house, only to make an astonishing discovery. His mother -- who died eight years earlier -- is still living there, and welcomes him home as if nothing ever happened.

What follows is the one "ordinary" day so many of us yearn for, a chance to make good with a lost parent, to explain the family secrets, and to seek forgiveness. Somewhere between this life and the next, Charley learns the astonishing things he never knew about his mother and her sacrifices. And he tries, with her tender guidance, to put the crumbled pieces of his life back together.

Through Albom's inspiring characters and masterful storytelling, readers will newly appreciate those whom they love -- and may have thought they'd lost -- in their own lives. For One More Day is a book for anyone in a family, and will be cherished by Albom's millions of fans worldwide.

Mitch Albom is the author of the international bestsellers The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie, as well as six other books. He also writes screenplays and stage plays. Albom serves on numerous charitable boards and has founded three charities in the Detroit area. He lives with his wife, Janine, in Michigan. Visit Mitch at foronemoreday.com

Journal Entry 2 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Tuesday, October 24, 2006
I have read The Five People You Meet In Heaven and Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom and now For One More Day. I like Albom's style of writing and lessons for life.

I will be starting a bookring for this book. The usual bookring rules will apply:

1. journal book when you receive it.
2. read book within 1 month.
3. journal again when you finish reading the book and let us know what you thought of it.
4. mail book to next person (media mail or surface mail is ok).

List of participants:

Bibliocrates (Alabama)
Paulsbooks (Utah)
rhythmbiscuit (Colorado)
back to me (Carlissa) <-- book is here

Journal Entry 3 by Caridad from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Thank you, Carlissa! Will PM next person on list for mailing address.

Journal Entry 4 by Caridad from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, November 02, 2006
Last month I was in a Border's bookstore buying some sale books to kill time while I am here in Florida taking care of my dad, when an elderly handicapped woman asked the cashier for this specific book. I had just paid for my purchase, and the line was really long, so I volunteered to help her find a copy, which I did, thinking I must get a chance to read it too.

I have been quite depressed with some medical setbacks my father has been having lately, being in Florida @ 7 months and over 1300 miles from home and my mother, who I am also the primary caregiver. Receiving and reading this book has been a BX mitzvah. It was very well written and made me reflect on what is really important in my life.

Thank you, again, ~carlissa~ for letting me in your ring. It is already wrapped and set to go to elizardbreath who responded to the PM I sent her yesterday. I hope it brings you some joy too!

Journal Entry 5 by elizardbreath from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Monday, December 04, 2006
Good news!! The book showed up today so all is not lost!!! :) I guess the holiday mailings must have slowed it down a little as the postmark says Nov. 16. I have a couple bookrings before this one to read but I have lots of lazy evenings to read them!

Journal Entry 6 by elizardbreath from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Thursday, December 07, 2006
Ok, funny story:
With most every book I read, as with most movies, I can pretty much guess the ending before I get there. So, I'm about 20 or so pages from the end and I've pretty much guessed the story behind Chick's dad. I'm thinking, "good book, predictable ending..." (maybe I've just read so much that I'm not surprised anymore!) So anyway, last page comes around and there at the bottom: Surprise!! I guessed the ending, but I didn't guess this little twist! I've read another great surprise ending book recently too: Anita Shreve's "The Last Time They Met". I love these kinds of books 'cuz they give you goosebumps at the end...just from the shock! It's neat to be able to have the "climax" (or maybe it's a second climax?) of the story at the very end...good writing! Will send this off to missprissy right away!

Journal Entry 7 by elizardbreath from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Monday, December 11, 2006
Had trouble contacting missprissy...until I found it was actually missprisy. So, have found her address and am sending it off this afternoon! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by missprisy from Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, December 19, 2006
The book arrived today. I'll be able to start this one after I finish the last 90 pages in my current book. Thanks for including me carlissa and thanks for sending me the book elizardbreath, I'm glad you found me.

Journal Entry 9 by missprisy from Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, December 21, 2006
This was a great book, but now I'm sad because I'm not able to fly home for the holidays this year. Family is all that matters. Thank you so much for sharing this book carlissa. I have acountke1 mailing address, but won't have a chance to mail this until after Christmas.

Journal Entry 10 by missprisy at on Friday, December 29, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (12/29/2006 UTC) at

Off to acountke1 today...sorry for the holdup, it's been a crazy week!

Journal Entry 11 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Arrived Safe and Sound Today
Will read within the next couple weeks!

Journal Entry 12 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2007
This is a story about a man who is at the lowest point of his life. Suicidal. During the attempt to take his life, he ends up at the house of his childhood. His deceased mother is there (alive?) and he is able to spend a short time with her. He learns about her life while he was growing up. Things he never knew. Sacrifices she made. The guilt he had felt since her death overwhelms him. But he is able to tell her he loves her, he misses her and that she was a good mother. There is a quote in this book that is notable. “…parents , if they love you, will hold you up safely, above their swirling waters, and sometimes that means you’ll never know what they endure, and you may treat them unkindly, in a way you otherwise wouldn’t." That is a great quote. As a parent and a daughter, this book has truly touched me.

Well send on in the next couple days.

Journal Entry 13 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 17, 2007
This arrived safely yesterday which was perfect timing as I had just finished my last "home" book the night before. I admit I was up a bit late reading it. Thanks for allowing me to participate carlissa :)

Journal Entry 14 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Saturday, January 20, 2007
This book was enjoyable, as all Albon books have been for me. It makes you think about family and the regrets we as adult children often have for not perhaps being the type of children we should have been. My favorite quote in this book is " You can find something truly important in a minute,". How true. It only takes a minute to smile, to see something beautiful, to complement someone, etc. I thank Carlissa for allowing me the opportunity to read this. Am sending off to infostermom today.

Journal Entry 15 by infostermom from Valparaiso, Indiana USA on Saturday, January 27, 2007
Arrived. Will start reading today. Thanks oi-reader.

Journal Entry 16 by infostermom from Valparaiso, Indiana USA on Sunday, January 28, 2007
Great book. Now I really miss my mom who lives 3 hrs away. I'll have to arrange a visit soon. This is a great book for anyone who is a mom or has a mom. I was a bit surprised at at last few paragraphs. Thanks for the read.

Sent to valentina1209 on 1/29/07

Journal Entry 17 by valentina1209 from Bethpage, New York USA on Sunday, February 04, 2007
The book arrived safely in NY and I am looking forward to reading it! Thanks for allowing me to participate in this bookring.

2/19/07
While I was finishing up a prior bookring last week, my daughter was able to read this book before me. She loved it as much as I did! A thought-provoking story about the meaning of life and significance of family; about learning to forgive and not to judge others. Wonderful lessons for life!

Journal Entry 18 by valentina1209 at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (2/20/2007 UTC) at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This qualifies as Release #14 in the 2007 Keep them Moving Challenge to read and release books received from other bookcrossers.

dnsvm asked to be skipped over b/c she received a copy of this book for Christmas.

I posted the book via surface mail to MieLH in Denmark this morning.

Journal Entry 19 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Saturday, March 31, 2007
Woaw - that was a long journey: It took this book more than a month to get to here. But it's safe with me now. Thanx for sending it over :)

I genuinely enjoyed "The five people you meet in heaven" and I can't wait to read this one. I hope to get to it soon, but exams are getting closer and I'm trying really hard to keep up with everything. Hopefully I'll find the time soon :) The book looks so inviting...

Journal Entry 20 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Thursday, April 05, 2007
I brought this book with me on my two-day easter-trip to Copenhagen/Malmö, to visit friends. It's nice to have something to read on the train :) As the two other Mitch Albom books I've read ("Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The five people you meet in heaven") this captured my attention straight away. I came home from my trip yesterday, and I finished the book this morning. It's a very fast read, and once I sat down it was hard to let it go again.

I must admit that my favourite Mitch Albom book is "The five people..." (where I found myself crying at the end, which is something I practically never do!) but this one was very nice too :) I'll recommend it to friends... in fact, I already have!

Thanx for sharing :) I'll PM Zepplin straight away, and I hope to get the book moving soon.

Update 10.april 2007: Book sent off to Zepplin. Hope it arrives safely soon :)

Journal Entry 21 by Zepplin from Calne, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 29, 2007
I have been away so I was delighted to arrive back and have this book waiting for me. It is the second book to be read on my pile so I should be finished with it next week. Can't wait to read it.

Thank you for sending it out.

Journal Entry 22 by Zepplin from Calne, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 13, 2007
A lovely story which was easy to read. It really brings home the fact that you do not know another person until you walk in their shoes. Thank you for sharing it with me.

I will post this on to smurphie as soon as possible

Journal Entry 23 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 21, 2007
Arrivd safe and well this morning.

And I've already started to read it I'm hooked only a shame I've got to go to work today!!!!

Journal Entry 24 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 23, 2007
This book didn''t take me long to read and the story just sucked me in.

What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one?

Would you right the wrongs or let those you loved know how much you had really loved them? I know.

Heading off to the next participant :)

Journal Entry 26 by isisjem from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 01, 2007
This turned up in today's post. It's taken me a month to read my last book which I finished reading last night. So I'm looking forward to starting something new. I've enjoyed all the Mitch Albom books I've read before and found once I've started I haven't wanted to put them down. Hope it's the same for this one.

Journal Entry 27 by isisjem from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 04, 2007
I quite enjoyed this. The narrator says they want to tell the story in the characters words and I have to say there is something about the Mitch Albom style that I think inhibits what is usually a clever idea for a story. That's just for me. The messages contained in the book do come through clearly and it did make me feel quite emotional towards the end.

There were some parallels between this story and the show "Life on Mars" - not sure how much it was shown outside the UK.

I'm pming the next person on the list and will get it to post asap.

Journal Entry 28 by isisjem from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Toyjoy has asked to be skipped. Pming the next person

Released 13 yrs ago (6/12/2007 UTC) at Postal Release in Post office, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

Mailed off to amberC the next person who wanted this book. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 30 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Arrived safely today. I have a couple before it, but will get to it soon.

Journal Entry 31 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, June 24, 2007
This book was good but not great...until the last chapter, then it became a WOW.

I finished it then spent time walking on the beach feeling peaceful and thoughtful.

Thankyou for sharing carlissa.

I will post it to readingtrix tomorrow.

Journal Entry 32 by readingtrix from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Thursday, July 05, 2007
This compact little hardcover arrived safe and sound in my post box today. I shall read and send it on as soon as possible. I do hope that I enjoy it as much as Tuesdays with Morrie. Thanks carlissa for sharing your book and thanks amberC for sending it to me, as well as for your postcard.

Journal Entry 33 by readingtrix from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, July 22, 2007
My husband, daughter and myself really enjoyed and learnt much from this book. According to us it matched up well to Tuesdays with Morrie and The five people you meet in heaven. I look forward to another story by Mitch sometime. It is on it's way to Bibliocrates in Alabama.

Journal Entry 34 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Monday, July 30, 2007
This book arrived safely in my mailbox today. Thanks for sending it my way readingtrix!

I'll get to it shortly!

Journal Entry 35 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, September 15, 2007
This was a good read, a bit on the sad side in typical Mitch Albom fashion. It is about a man with many problems and regrets who tries to end his life. His mother, who has been dead for eight years, helps him forgive himself and put his life back on track, a heartwarming story about a mother's love, proving that you can't really lose your loved ones if they are in your heart.

Thank you very much for sharing carlissa! I will pass it along to Paulsbooks shortly.

Journal Entry 36 by Bibliocrates at on Monday, September 17, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (9/17/2007 UTC) at

This book is on its way to PaulsBooks to continue the ring organized by carlissa. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 37 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, September 30, 2007
(aka PaulsBooks) I received this book! Thank you carlissa & bibliocrates for sharing this book with me!

Journal Entry 38 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Whew! This was an interesting book to read....painful in some ways, reassuring in others. I liked the following passages:
"...now you know how badly someone wanted you, Charley. Children forget that sometimes. They think of themselves as a burden instead of a wish granted."
"When someone is in your heart, they're never truly gone. They can come back to you, even at unlikely times."
"I realized then you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know."
"You need to keep people close. You need to give them access to your heart."
I'm hoping my son will quickly read this before I ship it off to rhythmbiscuit.
Thank you carlissa for sharing this book with so many of us!

Journal Entry 39 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Sunday, October 28, 2007
Thank you for sharing this book! And thank you, paulsbooks, for the bonus treat of Flush by Carl Hiaasen.

Journal Entry 40 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Saturday, November 03, 2007
I liked this book, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Maybe I'm too accustomed to the way Albom writes.

I found it odd that the first words Chick would have to say to the narrator were "Let me guess. You want to know why I tried to kill myself." Then again, given the story, maybe they make sense.

I have contacted carlissa to mail it back to her.

Released 13 yrs ago (11/10/2007 UTC) at A Controlled Release in Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I will mail this book back to carlissa today.

Journal Entry 42 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Friday, November 16, 2007
This little book has made it home. I hope everyone enjoyed it!

Journal Entry 43 by carlissa at Panera Bread - Falls in Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, July 20, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (7/20/2008 UTC) at Panera Bread - Falls in Miami, Florida USA

in book basket