The Planet that Wasn't

Registered by gwilk of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 1/8/2003
Journal Entry 1 by gwilk from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, January 08, 2003
This book is a collection of science essays written between 1974 and 1976 for The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Because they are intended for a magazine format, each essay is short enough to easily digestible and if you find it boring, it is easy to skip on to the next one. As usual for one of Issac Asimov's collected essays, the topics vary wildly.

The title essay discusses the hypothesised existance of the planet Vulcan, inside the orbit of Mercury. This planet was 'needed' to explain discrepancies in Mercury's orbit: discrepancies now explained by Einstein's relativity theory but in 1859 there was no other possibility apart from an additional planet.

It is not all astronomy, though, the book dabbles in physics, chemistry, biology and I think a couple of the essays would be called philosophy, although Asimov describes them as "opinions about science". One speculates on the nature of the star of Bethlehem.

I loved these collected essays as I was growing up and I devoured them as fast as I could get me hands on them. It was Asmiov who inspired me to learn about science and technology. Thus, I commend this book highly.

Journal Entry 2 by gwilk at on Sunday, February 02, 2003
Released on Saturday, February 01, 2003 at Timaru Hospital in Timaru, South Canterbury New Zealand.

On the coffee table in the waiting area just past main reception.