Darkly Dreaming Dexter

by Jeff Lindsay | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by MartiP on 10/18/2006
Journal Entry 1 by MartiP on Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay last night. Dexter is a likeable guy who works forensics for the Miami police. He's affable, logical, thoughtful and accepting of who he is. He's also a serial killer. Raised by a wise crusty old cop of a foster father, who recognized early the un-straightenable warp in Dexter's psyche, he has been taught to choose whom he kills very carefully. "If kill you must, then kill the bad guys" said Harry the cop who rescued him from horror as a child. The book is full of his humorous take on humanity and on himself. He knows what he is, but does his level best to have the monster operate with something approaching a moral code, though sometimes he struggles with his urges. He doesn't apologize, he just makes do with the hand he's been dealt, in his uniquely honest and perceptive way.

Think you won't like him? I'll bet you will.

Lindsay has a second book out now, Dear Devoted Dexter, which I'll be on the lookout for. I'm now fond of this plucky ghoulish hero.