Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife

by mary roach | Nonfiction |
Registered by rampallion of Evanston, Illinois USA on 10/15/2006
Journal Entry 1 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, October 15, 2006
Interesting, entertaining, appealingly written essays by a science writer who is exploring different afterlife-related projects from the past and from today--reincarnation, mediums, ectoplasm, ghosts, heaven, near-death experiences, and so on. Her style is precise but also funny. She doesn't believe the claims of many people she meets but manages to disagree without being disrespectful.

I was especially fascinated by the idea that human-created electromagnetic fields (such as poorly grounded wiring and overloaded circuitry) can cause feelings of unease and peripheral-vision hallucinations in some people, and these feelings can seem like ghosts or spirits. Infrasounds, which are inaudible low-frequency vibrations, cause a similar reaction in some people. Infrasounds can be human-made (jet fighters, church organs) or animal-made (whales, elephants, tigers). Oh, and if you want to hear something scary, visit http://www.acoustics.org/press/145th//Walsh2.htm , scroll down to the paragraphs about tiger vocalizations, and click on the little speaker icons. I was unnerved, although I have to say that my pet cat didn't seem to notice!

One thing I don't like about this book: It doesn't have an index.

I will most likely bring this to the next Evanston Meetup.

Journal Entry 2 by rampallion at Cafe Mozart in Evanston, Illinois USA on Monday, November 13, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (11/14/2006 UTC) at Cafe Mozart in Evanston, Illinois USA

Bringing to the Evanston Meetup at Café Mozart. For details, visit bookcrossing.meetup.com and enter ZIP Code 60201.

Journal Entry 3 by Amusedbythis from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Picked this up at the Evanston meet up. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by Amusedbythis from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, December 02, 2006
Interesting book on the scientific underpinnings or lack of them of the paranormal. Just when the book would start to drag, the author's humor resuscitated my interest. Thanks for sharing, Rampallion!

Journal Entry 5 by Amusedbythis at post office in Chicago, Illinois -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 10, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (12/10/2006 UTC) at post office in Chicago, Illinois -- Controlled Releases

Sent as RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Sunday, December 17, 2006
Arrived safely today -- thanks so much, Amusedbythis!! This was like opening a Christmas present early! I absolutley loved Stiff, by the same author, so I'm really looking forward to reading this. I also have a handful of friends who will probably be interested as well.

Journal Entry 7 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, January 18, 2007
While I didn't like this book nearly as much as Stiff, I did enjoy it. Roach is immensely readable and funny -- I feel like I'm just sitting and chatting with her while reading her books. I found the subject matter interesting. She obviously tries to keep an open mind about things, something I'm sure I would have had a hard time doing in similar circumstances. I certainly hope Roach is working on another book as I really enjoy her writing style.

I also listened to the tiger roars that she mentions (and Rampallion has posted the link for). I found them pretty cool but, like Rampallion's cat, my two felines didn't even look up.

Thanks again, Amusedbythis! I've got some friends who may be interested in reading this. If not, I'll mostly likely include it in PokPok's non-fiction virtual bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Sending this on to PokPok as part of her virtual bookbox. I believe she may then use it to restart a stalled ring? Regardless, am sure she'll enjoy it.

Journal Entry 9 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Monday, January 29, 2007
I was so excited to get this book in the mail today. I've been on at least one, and possibly two, rings for this that stalled. While I generally set my year's reading in advance (not in exact order, but pull the books for the year I want to read) I am going to add this one to the "2007" shelf. As firegirl said, I want to read it this year, and offer it up as a ring, or let some of the people on one of the stalled rings read it. I'm not quite sure when I'll get to this, but will make it a goal to have it moving by the end of 2007! Thank you very much. I also *loved* Stiff...

PokPok

Journal Entry 10 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Friday, January 18, 2008
I'm as shocked as anyone else, but this book failed the "50 page rule" for me. I loved "Stiff"; I probably gave it 9 stars, if memory served. I read about 75 pages of "Spook", and couldn't continue.

To be fair, I'm in a stressful period right now, and can't focus on much at all. However, with hundreds on TBR, and this a popular book, I'm going to move it on. I will see if a ring needs to be started with this, or else offer to my local group.

Thanks to my friends for moving this book along.

PokPok

Released 11 yrs ago (5/19/2009 UTC) at Controlled release, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Releasing to collectorkerri as part of the nonfiction virtual bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by collectorkerri from Springfield, Illinois USA on Sunday, May 24, 2009
Received yesterday. Will go into my TBR pile for now.

Journal Entry 13 by collectorkerri at Springfield, Illinois USA on Saturday, October 29, 2011
Another enjoyable foray into the bizarre from Mary Roach. I liked it about as much as Stiff, although the material was a bit more esoteric and weird.

Sending on to dutch-book as part of the wishlist tag game in the forums.

Journal Entry 14 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 02, 2011
Thanks collectorkerri for sending me this. Looks great, started great. Really looking forward to this!

Journal Entry 15 by dutch-book at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Tuesday, April 21, 2020
This was a lot less fun than Stiff. Mary Roach seemed prejudiced and showed it by sarcastic comments, which annoyed me a bit. I had expected something else with this book, something like experiments with dying people and dead bodies. This was all about the afterlife, which I could have known if I had paid attention to the subtitle. Anyway, I'm glad to have finished it and it's time this book goes to a new reader.

Journal Entry 16 by dutch-book at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, May 14, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (5/13/2020 UTC) at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

I've sent this book on to Lamilla, who may or may not be the winner of the Non-Fiction sweepstakes. I hope you'll like this one.

Journal Entry 17 by wingLamillawing at Minsk, anywhere Belarus on Thursday, June 04, 2020
Arrived with another book. Thank you!