The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales

by Oliver Sacks | Health, Mind & Body |
Registered by wingghirwing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 10/14/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingghirwing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, October 14, 2006
I don't know if I'll ever get to this, so I am going to release it.

Journal Entry 2 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Arrived today. Thanks for sending it, ghir!

Journal Entry 3 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Finished this one yesterday. What a fascinating book! Sacks looks at various case studies about patients with neurologial conditions, and how this affects their lives and their perceptions of reality. Maybe a little academic in places, but overall I thought the writing style was quite easy for laypeople.

Sent on to Spiegel in Brazil today, via airmail, as s/he won it in a RABCK draw I held.

My book #32 for guinaveve's Keep Them Moving challenge.

Journal Entry 4 by Spiegel from Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul Brazil on Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Wow, this arrived really fast. How cool it is to receive a book from South Africa! I even get to add some pretty stamps to my collection. :-) (Oh! I see the book started out in Hawaii, I guess that's why it has a Ballycumber surfing. Cute!)

I'm slowly making my way through two other books, so this one will have to wait a few weeks. Thank you very much for your kindness, klaradyn.

Journal Entry 5 by Spiegel from Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul Brazil on Sunday, June 29, 2008
"... I _was_ normal, wasn't I? I _did_ move like everyone else?" asks one of Dr. Sacks' patients.

Fascinating book. It's humbling to see how fragile our mind is. Interesting also the questions raised about one's real self in the case of someone whose personality is brought about either by illness or medication.

As an aside, I was amused that another book I was reading at the same time, _The Turn of the Screw_, gets mentioned in the Bibliography section.

Journal Entry 6 by Spiegel at Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul Brazil on Monday, February 16, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/16/2009 UTC) at Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul Brazil

I'm sending this book to nicega in Brasília. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by nicega from Brasília, Distrito Federal Brazil on Wednesday, February 18, 2009
I just received it from Spiegel!
I´ll read it right away!

Journal Entry 8 by nicega from Brasília, Distrito Federal Brazil on Friday, March 27, 2009
I just finished the book and I´m starting a Bookray.

- bookpatch - OK
- LuisBrudna - OK
- carolmehl
- Geileis
- Tinina67
- Laui
- Tsjara

Journal Entry 9 by nicega at Brasília, Distrito Federal Brazil on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/16/2009 UTC) at Brasília, Distrito Federal Brazil

sent to bookpatch in the US.

Journal Entry 10 by bookpatch from Lakewood, California USA on Saturday, April 25, 2009
It's here! ...and going right to the top of the to-be-read pile.
Thanks for sharing, this is one I've been wanting to read for quite a while.

Journal Entry 11 by bookpatch from Lakewood, California USA on Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Very interesting, but yet also very sad, when you think about how those described in the case studies were so profoundly effected by their illnesses, and, for the most part, how little could be done to help them. I appreciated that the author wrote about them in a way to show each as a whole human being, though, and not just as a case study. Thank you again for sharing this book with me.

Released 10 yrs ago (5/1/2009 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Mailed today--going back to Brazil to LuisBrudna.

Journal Entry 13 by LuisBrudna on Monday, June 08, 2009