The Golden Compass - Audio CD

Registered by sweetybeans of Cottage Grove, Oregon USA on 10/14/2006
Journal Entry 1 by sweetybeans from Cottage Grove, Oregon USA on Saturday, October 14, 2006
From Amazon:
The protagonist of this complex fantasy is young Lyra Belacqua, a precocious orphan growing up within the precincts of Oxford University. But it quickly becomes clear that Lyra's Oxford is not precisely like our own--nor is her world. For one thing, people there each have a personal dæmon, the manifestation of their soul in animal form. For another, hers is a universe in which science, theology, and magic are closely allied: As for what experimental theology was, Lyra had no more idea than the urchins. She had formed the notion that it was concerned with magic, with the movements of the stars and planets, with tiny particles of matter, but that was guesswork, really. Probably the stars had dæmons just as humans did, and experimental theology involved talking to them. Not that Lyra spends much time worrying about it; what she likes best is "clambering over the College roofs with Roger the kitchen boy who was her particular friend, to spit plum stones on the heads of passing Scholars or to hoot like owls outside a window where a tutorial was going on, or racing through the narrow streets, or stealing apples from the market, or waging war." But Lyra's carefree existence changes forever when she and her dæmon, Pantalaimon, first prevent an assassination attempt against her uncle, the powerful Lord Asriel, and then overhear a secret discussion about a mysterious entity known as Dust. Soon she and Pan are swept up in a dangerous game involving disappearing children, a beautiful woman with a golden monkey dæmon, a trip to the far north, and a set of allies ranging from "gyptians" to witches to an armor-clad polar bear.

I really didn't care much for this book, although i did become attached to the characters. this book has such rave reviews that i was surprised that i didn't care for it. hopefully someone will like it more than me.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Monday, August 25, 2008
The BCID on this one was mixed up (541 instead of 451) so I had to do a little bit of searching to try to find the right number. I'll correct it on the labels before I send it on.

I'm not taking this out of the audio bookbox because I've already listened to it on CD, but wanted to give my thoughts from JE's of other copies:

I absolutely loved it! Lyra is a fantastic, sympathetic & strong character, and how could you not love Iorek and Pan? More importantly, it's an incredible world that Pullman creates. I was expecting a complete fantasy and, instead, got a mix of our world and the fantastical that kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering every second what was what and what was coming next! An incredible adventure with mystery and action but a nice, moderate pace which allows you to really take in the beauty of it all.

This book is definitely my favorite in the series, though I thought the whole series was magical :-)

I especially loved the series on audiobook, because it's a full cast recording. The accents and voices really make it come to life for me so beautifully. The story was great but I especially enjoyed listening to it and recommend doing so over reading it, if you're into audiobooks or audiodramas.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, March 27, 2009
This arrived home in my CD only bookbox. Staying with the box.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 09, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (4/9/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy! Continuing in the CD only book box round 3

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, March 28, 2010
Avivved back home again in my CD only bookbox. I will decide what to do with it next.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, December 06, 2010
My thoughts are similar to carlissa's. I started it once and put it away. A few months later I decided to listen to the entire book since it got great reviews. I will pass it along to another BCer either as a RABCK or in a CD only bookbox. Thanks for sharing.

Released 10 yrs ago (1/22/2011 UTC) at bookbox (Cape Coral) in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, Florida USA

Enjoy! Off in round 5 of my CD only bookbox

Journal Entry 8 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 08, 2011
The story of The Golden Compass well-written, and it has some extremely creative ideas. The villains are great - Mrs. Coulter and Lord Azrael constantly seemed to be switching sides - and Pullman did a great job world-building. So why didn't I like it? Part of the problem seems to be Lyra. She's whiny, and her voice actor (the audio CD was created with a cast of actors, not a single narrator) really got on my nerves after a while.

Hmmm. The story was OK, but I never really found myself invested in it. I wonder if it's because of the vague anti-organized-religion/Christianity vibe. It didn't dominate the story, as I feared it would, but it was still critical of vast religious organizations and maybe it unsettled me. At any rate, I'm not sure I thought the book was worthy of all the praise, awards, and hype that has surrounded it.

This book enjoyed a brief visit in San Jose, CA before continuing its travels in booklady331's Audio Book Box!

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Arrived home in my CD only audio bookbox. I am trying to decide what to do next.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Sunday, January 15, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (1/15/2012 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! KTM and RABCK release challenges 2012 to Bascula

Journal Entry 11 by wingBasculawing at Ridley Park, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, June 11, 2012
I am embarassed that I did not journal this one sooner - I looked at the wrong side of the CD envelopes and did not see the BCID! Thank you, it obviously did arrive safely some time ago....