Labyrinth

by Kate Mosse | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by camis of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 10/9/2006
Journal Entry 1 by camis from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, October 09, 2006
When Dr Alice Tanner discovers two skeletons during an archaeological dig in southern France, she unearths a link with a horrific and brutal past. But it's not just the sight of the shattered bones that makes her uneasy; there's an overwhelming sense of evil in the tomb that Alice finds hard to shake off, even in the bright French sunshine. Puzzled by the words carved inside the chamber, Alice has an uneasy feeling that she has disturbed something which was meant to remain hidden... Eight hundred years ago, on the night before a brutal civil war ripped apart Languedoc, a book was entrusted to Alais, a young herbalist and healer. Although she cannot understand the symbols and diagrams the book contains, Alais knows her destiny lies in protecting their secret, at all costs. Skilfully blending the lives of two women divided by centuries but united by a common destiny, LABYRINTH is a powerful story steeped in the atmosphere and history of southern France.

Sending to KarenDawn as a RABCK to replace a book lost in the mail. Hope this one arrives!

Journal Entry 2 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Thank you so much, camis. This was a book that I was really looking forward to reading. It absolutely made my day! Thank you thank you thank you! You completely didn't have to replace the lost book, but, well, I'm so thrilled with it. :)

(The package did arrive opened at one end, but the book was safe inside. Perhaps reinforcing the sides with tape would help?)

Journal Entry 3 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, May 19, 2007
The book started off a bit slow, taking its time to really build up the story - then it became really intense right near the end but ended rather quickly. The very last chapter was satisfying (and left a bit of a lump in my throat), but it did feel a bit rushed right before then especially with the slow lead-up prior to that. But I liked the story and the history so it was definitely worth reading.

Journal Entry 4 by karendawn at on Monday, July 23, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (7/23/2007 UTC) at

on its way to morsie

Journal Entry 5 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Monday, July 30, 2007
karen! Thank you so much for sending this book after my bronchitis kept me from the meetup. So sweet of you...

Journal Entry 6 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Tuesday, September 18, 2007
I have to admit that I started this one without the faintest idea what it was about (beyond "three secrets, two women, one grail," which couldn't be ignored on the front cover; I didn't read the back cover text). Obviously I knew something about it when I added it to my wishlist (right after it was first published), but since then I'd managed to forget whatever it is that I knew. Kate Mosse was one of the co-founders of the Orange Prize and, honestly, I'd give her a try just because of that.

Set both in modern day France and 13th century Languedoc, Labyrinth is a historical thriller revolving around the mystery of the Grail. What sets it apart from the other bestsellers with which it will be inevitably grouped is Mosse's understanding and evident love of the area in which the story is set (as well as her writing).

The one thing that was a bit annoying about the book was that (justifiably for plot reasons) Mosse holds out on explaining what the Cathar's truly believed until fairly late in the narrative. This probably wouldn't be a problem for readers familiar with the period, but for me I had a hard time understanding the justification for the crusade (which is the backdrop of the historical part of the novel) without knowing the extent of the heresy.

In any case, Labyrinth may be the best kind of historical fiction, the kind that makes you want to learn more about the period in which it was set. I'm actually kind of interested in reading Greg Mosse's Secrets of the Labyrinth despite the fact that I don't particularly care for spin-off books. Though I'll probably just see if r has anything on the period kicking around in his book collection.

This book is now reserved for my Birthday RABCK Experiment partner.

Journal Entry 7 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Friday, November 09, 2007
Since my birthday partner never sent anything for my birthday and seems to be no longer involved in BookCrossing, I'm unreserving this book. I'm bringing it to a meetup tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by morsecode at Panera Bread, Niagara Falls Blvd. in Amherst, New York USA on Friday, November 09, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (11/10/2007 UTC) at Panera Bread, Niagara Falls Blvd. in Amherst, New York USA

Will be left somewhere in the restaurant.

Journal Entry 9 by kelzhell from Buffalo, New York USA on Sunday, November 11, 2007
picked this up at the oakville meet-up, thanks.