Molecules at an Exhibition: Portraits of Intriguing Materials in Everyday Life

by John Emsley | Science |
ISBN: 0192862065 Global Overview for this book
Registered by bigcurlyloz of Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on 10/5/2006
Journal Entry 1 by bigcurlyloz from Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 05, 2006
I love Chemistry, but I think almost anyone can find at least one "portrait" that fascinates them in this book.

"What is it in chocolate that makes us feel good when we eat it? What's the molecule that turns men on? What's the secret of Coca-Cola? In this fascinating book, John Emsley takes us on a guided tour through a rogue's gallery of molecules, some harmful some pleasant, showing how they affect our lives. There are eight galleries in all, full of individual portraits on molecules that are to be found on a daily basis in the home, the environment, and in our bodiesDSfrom caffeine to teflon, nicotine to zinc. Find out how Mozart met his death, how Hitler could have saved the Third Reich from defeat, and many more interesting snippets in this highly entertaining, and often surprising book." - amazon.co.uk synopsis

Journal Entry 2 by bigcurlyloz from Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 09, 2006
I think it'd be nice if people in this ring included which their favourite "portrait" in the book was - it's entirely optional though!

Participants
bigcurlyloz
RonOren (UK - Europe/surface Intl) Amanida (UK - anywhere)
cmbohn (US - US/Canada)<--- book is here
Cpetersky (US - surface Intl)
Prilade (Bulgaria - Europe)

How it works
- PM me to join and state your shipping preferences.
- When I have at least 5 people, I'll (probably) post the book to the first person.
- Please journal the book when it arrives and when you've sent it on.
- When you've read it, please PM the next person on the list for their address.
- Bear in mind other people want to read it, so don't put it at the bottom of your TBR pile (6 weeks is a reasonable timeframe imo)!
- The last person on the list is to send it back to me :-)

When I have enough participants I'll sort the order to suit as many people's postage preferences as possible.

Journal Entry 3 by RonOren from Stockwell, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Arrived yesterday and I've already started a little bit in it at breakfast. So far, it looks pretty good, but I'll have reserve judgement until I've read more of it.

Journal Entry 4 by RonOren from Stockwell, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 26, 2006
An interesting and enjoyable book. Being a chemist, I knew quite a few of themolecules, if only by name (although I have to admit there were quite a few I had never heard of either). Still, for most of those I didn't have the foggiest idea what they're used for (be it inside or outside the body), so most of the book was certainly new to me.
It was a lot of information, though! I'm never the most attentive of readers, but this book is so crammed with information that whatever I did actually pick up was mostly dislodged two or three pages later. I'm sure some of the information is somewhere in my memory, but I'd be hard put to give a fact out of the book right now. I'm still hoping it'll come to use sometime during the pubquiz though ;-)

This is the kind of book that my girlfriend DJgib would love, and bigcurlyoz was happy to have another participant in the ring, so I passed the book on to her (DJgib that is, not bigcurlyoz), who's started in it already.

Journal Entry 5 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 29, 2006
I've already read a few of the portraits and am finding them very interesting, although the fact that they're not very structured is annoying me a little. But that was probably just the guy's enthusiasm taking over while he was writing.

I certainly expect to find lots of little fact in the book that I can annoy my friends with. Btw, RonOren is a big liar saying he's not the most attentive of readers, he always remembers way more details about books than I do.

Thanks for letting me break in bigcurlyloz!

Journal Entry 6 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Sorry for taking such a long time on this, I actually finished this some time ago but then things got rather busy preparing for Christmas, and I couldn't type very well because my hand got hurt in an accident, and then we went away for a week.

Like I said before, the lack of structure in the portraits annoyed me a little. The author had the habit of jumping around from one subject to another without linking them, and also would repeat bits of information within one portrait. I think he could have had a better editor to get rid of these things. Also, I found myself skipping over quite a lot of the portraits because they just didn't seem too interesting, like the plastics and the energy producing molecules.

Having said that, there was a lot of information in the book that I hadn't picked up before and I did find very interesting, so in that respect it was a great success.

Thanks for sharing, I'll be pm'ing Amanida very soon and hope to get the book moving before too long.

Journal Entry 7 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 20, 2007
Sorry this took a while, Amanida didn't get my first PM so it took a while to get an address. I've now packed up the book ready to go, should get out to the post office before too long.

Journal Entry 8 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 27, 2007
The book is now travelling to amanida.

Journal Entry 9 by Amanida from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, January 29, 2007
Arrived today, thanks!
I'm looking forward to this, as John Emsley was one of my lecturers at London University xx years ago.
And thanks for the Escher postcard DJgib.

Journal Entry 10 by Amanida from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, February 08, 2007
Packed full of useful and not so useful bits of information, I was most interested by the things that had been discovered since I left college.
I found the writing in the first galleries a bit disjointed and preferred the later galleries - either the style improved or I got used to it. I especially enjoyed the last portrait in the book - "Land ahoy! - element 114" - about elements which have only ever existed for a few millionths of a second as a couple of atoms. I was also interested in the alternative fuels in Gallery 7.

What I particularly like about the book is the positive spin that it gives to chemistry and chemicals in contrast to all th negative stuff that's out there.

I looked in this month's Chemistry World (normally it goes straight to recycling - shame on me) and found a spoof article by John Emsley which I enjoyed very much - so I've inserted it into the back of the book.

It will be off to cmbohn very soon.

Journal Entry 11 by Amanida from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, February 09, 2007
Went in the post to Utah, USA today.

Journal Entry 12 by cmbohn from Orem, Utah USA on Friday, February 16, 2007
Got this one yesterday and started reading it right away! I love this kind of book--interesting and informative, but not 'brainy.' I have noticed that a few of the facts and studies cited are a bit out of date, as the book was published in 1998. But I'm having lots of fun so far. Thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by cmbohn from Orem, Utah USA on Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Thanks for the chance to read this one. I learned a lot of new info, like how airbags work. And I found the section on molecules in food and the one on plastics to be very interesting stuff. Will PM Cpetersky for mailing info.

Journal Entry 14 by cmbohn from Orem, Utah USA on Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Finally on its way to CPetersky. I'm ashamed it's taken me so long, but I had a hard time reaching her, and then my car died. It was a sad and painful death and it took me a while to replace it, so I'm just now out and about again. Anyway, I sent it Priority Mail to make up somewhat for my slothfulness, and I hope it has a safe and speedy journey.

CMB

Journal Entry 15 by Cpetersky from Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, April 22, 2007
Arrived a while ago; apologies for not making a journal entry.

Since I have John Emsley's encyclopedia on the elements, I found a lot of the information from that book recycled in this one. The difference is that he could do more *molecules* vs. *elements*, so he had a little bit of a wider scope, and didn't have to spend any time on the more boring :-) elements. Still, he's an entertaining writer, and I got a lot out of the book. I just would have gotten more if I hadn't read his other work.

Some of the pages in the front of the book are falling out; any thoughts to whether or not I should glue them back in?

When I get back from Wisconsin this next weekend, I will forward this book to Prilade in Bulgaria.

Journal Entry 16 by Cpetersky from Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, July 03, 2009
I FOUND IT!!!!

This book was sent to me in a bookring. After I read it, I could not find it ANYWHERE!

Today, I was cleaning up my 16 year old daughter's room - she's in Costa Rica doing a Spanish immersion/community service project. What did I find on her bookshelf but this book!!

Finally, I can return it to its rightful owner in the UK - please send me the address if you can...