The Bone People (Picador Books)

by Keri Hulme | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by constantweader of Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 10/4/2006
Journal Entry 1 by constantweader from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 04, 2006
I haven't finished reading this yet - I think this is the first time I've ever bought a second copy of a book I hadn't yet read right through, just because I knew I'd want to release a copy.

I've been torn between reading it as fast as I can, and taking it in slow thoughtful bites - I've settled for the latter, partly because I don't want it to end, partly because I fear the ending may be unbearably sad.

This copy is going to a dear, dear friend who I hope to meet one day :)

Apologies for the less than pristine condition of the book, but this one is actually the better copy of the two - the perils of buying books in charity shops. The words are what matter!

Journal Entry 2 by MartiP on Friday, October 13, 2006
Yay! I received this in the mail today, and am pleased as punch. Thanks, constantweader! :-)

Journal Entry 3 by MartiP on Monday, October 16, 2006
Thanks to constantweader's kindness in sending it to me, I've just finished reading The Bone People by Keri Hulme, and it is without a doubt one of the best things I've ever read.

I loved, loved, loved this book. I loved the characters, I loved the myth, I loved the dark horrible edges, I loved the aching song of it, and the peregrinations and winding bastardizations of slippery language as Kerewin tried to speak her heart to herself. I loved the sorrow, I loved the tenuous hope. In the end I loved humanity, and grieved for us (but I laugh, too, because what can you do?).

This one will stay with me, I think. This one will be reread. I need a permanent copy, and will be buying one forthwith. Have I mentioned that I loved this book?