*The Book Thief

by Markus Zusak | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by livrecache of Hobart, Tasmania Australia on 10/1/2006
Journal Entry 1 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, October 01, 2006
From the blurb:

The Book Thief is a story about the power of words to make worlds. In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.

Bookring participants:

Wombles
ShilpaM
>sujie

back home with me!

Journal Entry 2 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, October 09, 2006
I'm so excited about getting this book - it arrived today. I'm just finishing off another book and then will make a start very shortly. I've been wanted to read it since I saw it in the bookshop, it looked so mysterious. Thanks livercache!

Journal Entry 3 by Arrietty from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Friday, November 10, 2006
I'm ever so sorry but was unable to find the time to read this book. I've started a new job the day after the convention and have been too busy. I am managing to read a few pages of a thriller each night but don't want to start The Book Thief and not give it the attention it deserves. I've already contacted Angelbird72 and it is now in the post to NSW. Thanks livrecache, I had good intentions!

Journal Entry 4 by angelbird72 from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, November 15, 2006
I recieved this book a couple of days ago in the post, and even though I'm only up to abou page 50 I'm already hopoked. I think I may have been hooked after page three. I just keep thinking as I read it, THIS BOOK IS WRITTEN SO WELL! Some of the images and the turns of phrase and everything, it's just so good. I hope the rest of the book fulfils my now massive expectations!

Journal Entry 5 by angelbird72 from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Friday, November 17, 2006
I cryed so much at the end of this book. I sat up late last night because I couldn't put it down sniffling into my pillow!

This book was written so well! It just really got me. Everything about it, the little notes, the narrator, everything!

Somehow, books about this time period seem to find their way to me quite often, the last one I think was The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. Nonetheless, I loved this book so much I will most definitely be buying my own copy. It was just so good!

Journal Entry 6 by frangipani08 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, December 05, 2006
Sorry, I caught this a few weeks ago and did not journal it - I am reading it now! MOre later!

Journal Entry 7 by frangipani08 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, December 14, 2006
I really enjoyed this book which was quite different to other books I have read by Marcus Zusak. Although it's a large book, it didn't take long to read because it gripped you from the start. Some of the descriptive language was just beautiful. Posted today ( Dec 14) to Sugaryfun.

Journal Entry 8 by wingSugaryfunwing from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, December 16, 2006
The book arrived safely yesterday. Will get on to reading it as soon as I can, though I probably won't get started it on it for at least another week because I work in retail and the lead up to Christmas means lots of stress and crazy hours.

Journal Entry 9 by wingSugaryfunwing from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, December 23, 2006
I foolishly signed up for too many bookrings at once, so I think I don't think I'll get through this one, sorry. I've PM'd Piemunga for an address to send it on after Christmas.

Journal Entry 10 by wingSugaryfunwing from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, December 27, 2006
Posted to Piemunga today.

Journal Entry 11 by piemunga from Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 02, 2007
received in the post yesterday. thank you! i should be able to start it next week.

Journal Entry 12 by piemunga from Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
fantastic! every bit as good as i hoped it would be (and that's rare)

will message jubby for their address and pass it on asap

Released 12 yrs ago (1/30/2007 UTC) at postal release in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia -- Controlled Releases

Posted off to Jubby today!

Journal Entry 14 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 01, 2007
Well, look what arrived in the post today!

I remember hearing Marcus Zusak speak at a conference a couple of years ago, and he was discussing his 'then work', which started as a scene with a girl in a cell because she had stolen a book.

I am guessing that this is that work, and was I surprised when I saw the size of it! It's much heftier then his other works!

Thank you for sharing this with me. I'll get started on it in a couple of days.

Journal Entry 15 by jubby from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, February 16, 2007
Yes duckies, I finally finished reading this book and posted it on to Katfysh today - even though I said I would post it a week ago...

Life got in the way of my reading time this last week, and my struggling to finish the book was no reflection on the writing or story itself. On the contrary, I found that the large format and font had me flying through the book.

Overall, an easy to read, and amusing book. Death is our narrator, and a misunderstood soul him/herself. I have to admit though, I kept remembering the scenes of death from 'Monty Python's meaning of life', with death arriving and being heckled. But, I think this has more to do with my warped brain cells, not the text itself.

The format of the book, with the short chapters, interrupted text, and graphics reminded me a little of Jonathan Safran Foer (a favourite author of mine), while the circular plot reminded me a lot of Kurt Vonnegut's 'Slaughter house 5'.

I think my preconceptions of this writer coloured my opinion of this book. It didn't feel like an 'adults' book, but like his others, a Young Adults book. Was this intentional? It was like there's an assumed ignorance on behalf of the reader, and historical events and phrases were related and explained. Not that I minded, it was quite refreshing.

And lastly, the metaphors and similes throughout were many and challenging. I still can't make up my mind if I liked this writing style. I could see the point of it, but at times it didn't feel as fluid as his other books, and at time more laboured then in other parts of the book. But, obviously great care and attention has gone into the crafting of this book, and reading passages so lovingly created is a treat.

I would recommend this book though to most readers, and would suggest it to the 12-16 year old readers. A great read, and one that Zusak should be proud of.

Journal Entry 16 by jubby at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 16, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (2/16/2007 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted off to Katfysh.

Journal Entry 17 by katfysh from Penrith, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 22, 2007
Received, thanks jubby. Just finishing off another book and then I'll get to this one, from the sounds of journal entries so far I might be done very quickly if I get as hooked as everyone else did.

Journal Entry 18 by katfysh from Penrith, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, April 01, 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was disappointed that I didn't have time to sit and read it all in one sitting! I haven't encountered much in this style of writing before and was surprised at how easy to read it was. The story was beautiful and I really felt the characters. I'm adding it to my wishlist so I can have my very own copy. Thanks livrecache for hosting the bookring.

Journal Entry 19 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Safely with me now! Thanks katfysh, and everyone.

Journal Entry 20 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Monday, June 04, 2007
Well this was lovely. A good solid plot, historically accurate, politically sensitive, emotionally tender, it watches some of the most extreme violence the world has ever known from the viewpoint of Death himself without beating the reader to a pulp.

I do have some stylistic niggles. All the street names feel like mistranslations. There isn't an Anzac Avenue in Sydney near the football ground (it's Anzac Parade) and rendering "Himmelstraße" into English as "Himmel Street" feels just weird. I think the book would benefit greatly from being translated into German and back again. And I'd like to *know*, not just suspect, that Liesel's name when she died "just yesterday" in Sydney was actually Vandenburg, not Meminger.

Like jubby, I think it would make a great selection for the "Young Adult" shelf, though in my experience Young Adults are always keen to read stuff from the general shelves while it rarely occurs to grown-ups to check out the right-hand end of the kids' section.

Journal Entry 21 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 16, 2007
Posting out to wombles in the wee small hours, along with the Ballad of Desmond Kale. These two tomes together seem to exceed the weight of your average 3kg bookbag, but in the absence of an empirical measure I can't be sure, so I'm consigning them to the prepaid satchel regardless.

Journal Entry 22 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Thursday, July 19, 2007
Wow! Didn't realise how big this book was going to be! I'm part way through a book but might put it aside and start this so I don't hold it up too long.

No marks on the bag so I'd say it just slipped in under the 3kgs!

Journal Entry 23 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Friday, July 27, 2007
I loved this book, not so much for what it was about but how it was written and the way the author described things, will Pm the next person today and send it off asap.

Thank you for sharing this amazing book with us livrecache

Journal Entry 24 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Thursday, August 09, 2007
sending to ShilpaM tomorrow

Journal Entry 25 by ShilpaM from Rydalmere, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 13, 2007
Recieved, thanks Wombles! Now that''s what I call a book!! I''ll put down the one i''m reading now and get stuck in to it. And thanks for the additional books.

Journal Entry 26 by ShilpaM from Rydalmere, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Not really my cup of tea.... But managed to finish it anyway. PMing sujie for an address to forward it to.

Journal Entry 27 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, October 29, 2007
I'm making an entry on behalf of Sujie. Her modem is down, and she's at the library without the book's BCID number. But she has the book and she's looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 28 by Sujie from Kangaroo Valley, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 11, 2007
Back in cyberland, thanks, livrecache.
I was waiting eagerly for this book, having heard so much about it. I have to say I was disappointed. Although the subject matter is dear to my heart, and I loved the premise, I wish he'd written it another way. I found the style not just niggling, like xoddam, but really off-putting. I am not a reader who responds well to rhetoric or melodrama and there were lashings of both. Having a narrator is difficult enough, but Death? I think the blend of fantasy and reality was awkward. My suspension of disbelief was never really tested - it just never came! Always felt in the wings of some morality play, and the cleverness just distanced me further.
I really enjoyed other books by Zusak and I love to see Aussie writers on the international stage...just not in the queue for this one, sadly.
Thanks for making it available, livrecache. Back to you, and in good nick, too, for such a thick and weighty paperback, after all its travels.

Journal Entry 29 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, December 06, 2007
Oh, wow! It's back. I'd followed the book's journey with interest. I didn't read it before I sent it out. Now I plan to over the Christmas break. Thanks to everyone who took part in the ring, and particular thanks to the person who covered it for its journey. (I can't get the hang of doing that!)