Sightseeing (Bookray)

by Rattawut Lapcharoensap | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 9/29/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, September 29, 2006
This thin hardback book is from the Friends of the Library used book store in Rockille, Maryland. This copy is for sharing. The original book I read was a library book.

I love this book! Its short stories really speak to me. My favorite two are "Farangs" for its clear eye of how foreigners are viewed in Thailand and "Sightseeing" for its warmth of the mother-son relationship.

These stories are colorful narratives of young Thai people in their own country but told in a way in which someone from the West can clearly relate. They exude tension, uncertainty, humor, and a genuine feel for dynamics of interpersonal relationships. All of the stories give the feeling of real people in challenging situations. With his fresh, sharp writing, the author provides a delightful reading experience. Bravo to Lapcharoensap for his excellent debut book!

I debated what to do with this book. At first, I was going to RABCK it at the National Book Festival, but I never did find florafloraflora that day. Next, I thought of keeping it in my permanent collection because I like it so much. Finally, I decided it needed to travel...so it's now an international bookring.

To join this bookring, simply PM me with your mailing preferences. Remember that the order of this bookring is subject to change at any time due to geography, mailing preferences or originator's whim! Enjoy!

Begin International Bookring (10/01/2006):
L1nda (Australia) done
istop4books (Minnesota, USA) done
LittleWhiteBird (California, USA) done
End International Bookray (08/20/2008):

This bookring was ended because the book disappeared for eight months after having been mailed to Georgia, USA. No acknowledgement that the book had been received was ever forthcoming in two PMs to the next person in line. This book traveled for 22 months on 15 stops and reached 6 countries including 4 states and the District of Columbia within the USA. Thanks to all who participated.

I'm so sad this book was lost because it was a very favorite book of mine. I so much hoped to share it with many more people and introduce them to this talented young author. :(

I'd like to encourage everyone to read this author interview.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, October 13, 2006
I'm passing this book on to florafloraflora today in person.

Journal Entry 3 by florafloraflora on Saturday, October 14, 2006
I picked this up at yesterday's in-person meetup with the delightful SqueakyChu. I'm really looking forward to reading it. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 4 by florafloraflora on Friday, November 03, 2006
Eeps! I started reading this book, then I misplaced it in the trunk of my car (I've been taking a roadtrip every weekend and things have gotten a bit out of hand), and now I've found it again. I'll ask sistert for her address so I'll be ready to send it out when I finish.

Journal Entry 5 by florafloraflora on Monday, November 13, 2006
Finished! I think my favorite stories were "Farangs" (what's not to love about a story that stars a pig named Clint Eastwood?) and "Cockfighter". The rest were good too, with the possible exception of "Don't Let Me Die in this Place" (the author is good, but I just don't think he's ready to write in the voice of an elderly white American guy).

I've got sistert's address, so I'll try to send this out tomorrow.

UPDATE 11/15: Mailed off today.

Journal Entry 6 by sistert from Catonsville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Received today and will start it tonight.

Journal Entry 7 by sistert from Catonsville, Maryland USA on Saturday, December 02, 2006
Finished a few days ago. I was initially mixed on my feelings as I started this book but over the course of reading it, really got into it. These are short stories (and one novella) that are glimpses into someone's life rather than complete stories. I agree with florafloraflora that "Don't Let Me Die In This Place" is the one diversion that doesn't work well.

My favorite two are "Draft Day" and "Priscilla the Cambodian" though again, these are all good stories to get into.

Contacting morsecode now.

Journal Entry 8 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Tuesday, December 19, 2006
This book arrived safe and sound in Buffalo, NY today.
I'll plan to mail it out again after the holidays.

Journal Entry 9 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Sunday, December 31, 2006
Strangely enough, I have to disagree with some of the earlier journalers. "Don't let me die in this place" was actually one of my favorite stories in this collection. I really felt that the first five stories in the book were too similar - it was almost as if the stories were all about the same person. "Don't let me die in this place" was the first deviation from the young Thai boy protagonist and I thought it was a wonderful change of pace. The other story that I really liked was "Cockfighter," again because it was so different from the other stories in the book (not that the other stories were bad, but just that they became - for me at least - a bit homogeneous).

Thanks so much for ringing this book, SqueakyChu.

I'll pass this book on to LotusFlower77 shortly. If she's not coming to the January meetup in Oakville, I'll mail it to her.

Journal Entry 10 by Lotusflower77 from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Received this in the mail yesterday. Thanks, Karen and SqueakyChu! Am reading a book at the moment, as soon as it's done, I'll get to "Sightseeing". Thanks.

Journal Entry 11 by Lotusflower77 from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 28, 2007
I always knew I was going to enjoy this book, but I think I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it. "Farang" was a good story to open the book with because it deals with tourism, and I think we are all aware of the love-hate relationship the people of Thailand have with the tourists and the part tourism plays in the economic well being of their country. "At the Cafe Lovely" was a great story, but it made me very sad. I think my favorite was "Draft Day" - the voice of the young narrator and the guilt he felt for being one of the favored boys is just unforgettable. My second most favorite was "Dont Let me Die in this Place" and probably, because as Karen said, it was quite different from the rest of the stories. Will contact Pooker3 for her address.

Journal Entry 12 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, February 08, 2007
Arrived in today's mail. Looks very intriguing. I'm in the middle of two other ring books and will get to this one next! Thanks to SqueakyChu for the opportunity and to all previous readers for sending it along.

Journal Entry 13 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2007
I have to say I enjoyed all of these stories and don't know that I have a favourite. The ones that I expect will stay with me the longest are "Draft Day" and "Don't Let Me Die in This Place" perhaps because of the underlying anger. I don't know why that would be; I don't think I'm particularly gloomy at the moment. But I do have my elderly mother-in-law living with me. She would be quite content "to die in this place" and is quite angry that she hasn't. So perhaps that is why the story resonates so with me.

I have MmeClinton's address and will send the book out again on Monday morning.

Thank you again SqueakyChu for the chance to read this.

Journal Entry 14 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, March 12, 2007
Off today to see the sights in Maine with MmeClinton.

Journal Entry 15 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Friday, March 30, 2007
This has arrived safely in the state of Maine where only a few pockets of snow remain! Time to read about Thailand! I am in the middle of a book and have a very busy week coming up, but I will get to this one next and then send it on, hopefully to the Netherlands! Comments after I finish!

Journal Entry 16 by wingMmeClintonwing from South Berwick, Maine USA on Saturday, April 14, 2007
I thought this was a great collection of stories, and I enjoyed every one, all the while admiring how such a young writer can create such varied voices successfully! I won't try to pick favorites. "Cockfighter" is more of a novella than a story, as it takes up almost 90 pages of the 250-page volume; the cruelty in the story is dreadful, but the portrait of the gambling father and the reality of the cockfighting, although personally repulsive to me much the way bullfighting is, are rendered very realistically; it's all part of a culture that isn't part of my experiences. I was very glad to have one of my Wish List books channelled through to me with this bookring, and now I will happily mail it on.

Journal Entry 17 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, May 19, 2007
Arrived safely today, thanks MmeClinton! I have a couple to go before this one, so my husband would like to read it in the meantime.

Journal Entry 18 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, June 29, 2007
Really enjoyed this book. I don't think I can pick a clear single favourite, but Draft Day and Priscilla the Cambodian stood out for me. I agree with a previous reader that it was nice to have a change from the young boy protagonist after a while. In Cockfighter at first I assumed it was yet again a young boy until the story got going.
Thanks for sharing, SqueakyChu, I will PM rapturina for her address.

Journal Entry 19 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Sent to rapturina today!

Journal Entry 20 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, July 08, 2007
It's here! I have a few other bookrings here at the moment, but I should get to this one pretty soon. I'm really looking forward to it, it looks fascinating!

Journal Entry 21 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, July 19, 2007
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would, actually. Perhaps I was just in the wrong state of mind, as I thought all the stories were rather sad. No one really got what they wanted in the end of every story, and whereas I certainly do not believe every story should have a happy ending, I do think it would've been nice if at least one of the stories had one. :D

However, I did find it very interesting to read about Thailand from the eyes of a Thai person; I liked how things like cockfighting and climbing palm trees suddenly seemed 'normal' to me. I suppose that is the strength of this book; even though it's set in Thailand with some specific Thai things going on, the stories are universal. So I liked that. :D

My favourite stories were "Sightseeing" and "Don't Let Me Die In This Place".

I have Flicki's address and will be sending the book on when I get paid next week.

Journal Entry 22 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, July 27, 2007
Sent to Flicki on July 27th. Happy travels! :D

Journal Entry 23 by Flicki from Aurich, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, August 03, 2007
Received this yesterday. I''m still reading Heart of Darkness and as I hardly get myself to read the classics, I''ll first finish that one before I''ll start Sighseeing! ;-) Thanks a lot for sending and sharing!

Journal Entry 24 by Flicki from Aurich, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, August 16, 2007
This was a beautiful book. Very enchanting and quite catching. Especially considering that we are talking about short stories. ;-) I liked the first one best, though. Will send the book on tomorrow or on Saturday.

Journal Entry 25 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, September 04, 2007
Arrived in my p.o.box today. Thanks SqueakyChu for including me in the ring, and Flicki for posting it to me!!

I'll be sightseeing myself for the next ten days so I'll started reading this when I return.

Journal Entry 26 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, September 26, 2007
The variety of narrative voices in this collection of stories is admirable. I agree with the previous readers that "Cockfighter" is particularly touching, despite the gruesome details.

Oddly enough, "Sightseeing", the title story, seemed to me to be the weakest of the bunch. The young man's point of view lacked the intensity & authenticity of voice that comes through in the other stories.

Sample story: "Farangs"

Journal Entry 27 by playtheman from Rangeville, Queensland Australia on Sunday, October 21, 2007
I'm now in the middle of War and Peace. However it was exciting to receive this book and beautiful Santorini card. Thanks Olga and Squeaky Chu for the ring. I've read Farangs and At the Cafe Lovely already!

Journal Entry 28 by playtheman from Rangeville, Queensland Australia on Friday, November 02, 2007
This writer has talent and I especially enjoyed "Cockfighter" and also "Sightseeing".
I will look forward to his future work.
The book is posted to L1inda - thanks to SqueakyChu for starting the ring.

Journal Entry 29 by L1nda from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 04, 2007
Arrived safe and sound, I'll start it this week some time.

Journal Entry 30 by L1nda from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 11, 2007
I enjoyed this collection of short stories, though I felt each one wasn't ready to end - or maybe I just haven't read short stories for a while :-)

Posting on to istop4books 22nd Nov

Journal Entry 31 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Friday, November 30, 2007
Arrived with a dusting of snow! Looks interesting, can't wait to start it!

Journal Entry 32 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Friday, December 07, 2007
I really enjoyed this book. Even though it's a collection of short stories, I felt like the author did a great job of bringing the characters to life in a few short pages. I was in Thailand on vacation with the family right after the tsunami, we traveled to Bangkok and a few parts north, so Farang was a great way to start, as it dealt with tourists, and I could certainly relate to Don't Let Me Die in This Place, when they are taking grandpa to one temple after another. My kids felt just like grandpa! My favorite story, however, was Draft Day which I found very poignant!

Have PMd gypsygate.

Journal Entry 33 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Mailed out media mail to LittleWhiteBird (what a great name btw) yesterday. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 34 by LittleWhiteBird from Pasadena, California USA on Wednesday, December 19, 2007
I received the book in the mail today. Thanks for the added postcard :)

Journal Entry 35 by LittleWhiteBird at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (1/2/2008 UTC) at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I enjoyed reading the book very much. My favourite stories were "Sightseeing" and "Don't Let Me Die In This Place". I guess, because the first reminded me of my mother a bit, she's also slowly going blind (a lot slower than the woman in the story, because it's a different illness), but still enjoying the things she still can see.
And I really liked the ending of "Don't Let Me Die In This Place".

I'm sending the book to briansbaby in the mail, probably today, but at the latest on Monday.