Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague

by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0142001430 Global Overview for this book
Registered by BellaMack of St Helens, Tasmania Australia on 9/25/2006
Journal Entry 1 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Monday, September 25, 2006
When an infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated mountain village, a housemaid named Anna Frith emerges as an unlikely heroine and healer. Through Anna's eyes we follow the story of the plague year, 1666, as her fellow villagers make an extraordinary choiceL: convinced by a visionary young minister, they elect to quarantine themselves within the village boundaries to arrest the spread of the disease. But as death reaches into every household, faith frays. When the villagers turn from prayers to murderous witch-hunting, Anna must confront the deaths of family members, the disintegration of her community, and the lure of illicit love. As she struggles to survive, a year of plague becomes instead an annus mirabilis , a 'year of wonders'.

This book was published as part of the Books Alive initiative by the Australia Council.

Geraldine Brooks is a Pulitzer Prize winning author.

Includes Readers Guide

Journal Entry 2 by BellaMack from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Monday, September 25, 2006
Have not read this one yet and have a huge TBR list so offering it to other Australian bookcrossers first.

When you receive the book, please journal it, and PM the next person in line for their address so you'll have it ready when you've finished the book.

Note: even if you've sent books to that person before, please PM them before mailing this one, to confirm that the address is correct and that they're able to take on a bookring book at this time.

Try and read the book promptly - ideally, within a month of receiving it. If you expect to take longer, you can request to be put at the end of the list. If you find you're swamped with other books when the person before you contacts you about the bookring, you can ask to be skipped, and then let me know whether you'd like to be moved down the list. If you receive the book and find it's taking longer than you'd planned to get through it, I'd appreciate an update in its journal entries or on your profile, just to let me and the other participants know you haven't forgotten it.

When you're ready to pass the book along, please make another journal entry containing your comments about the book and stating where you've sent it, and set the book's status code to "traveling".

And finally ..... Enjoy !!!!! :)

Final shipping order. I will be posting to frangipani08 as soon as I have an address.

1. frangipani08
11.froggirlwendy
12.ShilpaM
13.PaintedDuchess - here
14.lazzulii
lazzulii please wild release after reading thanks

If you wish you name added to the bookring please PM me.

Journal Entry 3 by frangipani08 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, October 29, 2006
Just realised that I did not journal this book when I received it!! Sorry, but now I am ready to send it onto bodhi.
I really enjoyed this book and I finished it very quickly. I love historical novels and it was well recommended by people from my bookclub. Although the story deals with the grim realities of the Plague, the characters are beautifully drawn and varied and the result is a joy read.

Journal Entry 4 by wing-Bodhi-wing from Jannali, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 05, 2006
Received in the mail with a lovely hot choccie satchet that I will enjoy greatly with this book thanks frangipani08!

Journal Entry 5 by wing-Bodhi-wing from Jannali, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, November 28, 2006
First things first. What a lovely bookcrossing label and clever little bookmark BellaMack :)

I really enjoyed this book. Two of the indicators of a good book, in my opinion, are that it stays with you for some time and it moves you on some level. This will be one of those hard to forget books and it certainly moved me to tears and warm smiles. Geraldine Brooks has a way of describing children and the natural world (two subjects close to my heart)in a way that captivated me and struck a chord deep within. I simply adored the strong women characters, especially Anna. I think the book affected me so much as just as I was thinking "This is just too much tragedy and sorrow" I remembered that these awful things and many, many more would have ocurred during the time of the Plague (and indeed are occuring in some manner all over the world). I found myself being very thankful for my life and holding my baby just that little bit tighter when she woke from her daytime nap.

Thank you BellaMack for the opportunity to read this :) I have PM'ed froggirlwendy who is next in line.

Journal Entry 6 by wing-Bodhi-wing from Jannali, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Froggirlwendy has requested to be skipped on this one.

Posted off to the lovely Makita21 today :)

Journal Entry 7 by NXS-581865 on Monday, December 18, 2006
arrived today, thank you :)
love the label and the bookmark idea!

Journal Entry 8 by NXS-581865 on Tuesday, January 09, 2007
try as i might, i couldn't get into it, although the story really interested me.
perhaps it is a seasonal thing, this time of year my sould craves more lighthearted literature.
thanks BellaMack for making this book avail., will pm the next person to send it on.

Journal Entry 9 by PaintedDuchess from Wolli Creek, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 19, 2007
Received this book a few (quite a few) days ago, accompanied by a wonderful bookmark! Looks amazing, and I can't wait to get stuck into it. Thanks for sending it, Makita21! Will keep y'all updated on how I go.

PaintedDuchess xo

Journal Entry 10 by PaintedDuchess from Wolli Creek, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Ugh, I'm swamped with work at uni at the moment, and I'm holding up this pretty book very unnecessarily. Could I please request to be added to the end of the queue for this book? I will send it on to Sally906 so that she and the others may read it.

Journal Entry 11 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, May 11, 2007
Arrived in the mail yesterday - I have a few ahead of this so will be a few weeks before it goes on its way again :)

Journal Entry 12 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, June 30, 2007
I found this to be a difficult read - whether it was just my mood I'm not sure. I didn't love the book - nor did I hate it - I was a bit indifferent to it. I didn't get a sense of time or place, and few of the characters seemed appealing to me. Having said that I am glad I read it - has been on my wish list for a while.

I have PMd katfysh and will get it off to her as soon as I get a snailmail address

Mailed to katfysh on my way to work

Journal Entry 14 by katfysh from Penrith, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 23, 2007
I received the book a few days ago but haven't had a chance to journal. I've already started and will PM the next person for their address.

Journal Entry 15 by katfysh from Penrith, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, August 09, 2007
I really enjoyed this book. It was a bit of a struggle to finish due to illness and I was a bit disappointed by the ending, not sure why, perhaps just because it wasn''t what I expected. Sending off to Mistlerose tomorrow. Thank you BellaMack for offering this as a bookring.

Journal Entry 16 by Mistlerose from Frankston, Victoria Australia on Thursday, September 06, 2007
The book arrived last Saturday, sorry for the delay.

I have started the book but it is not really my thing so I will be sending it on to Xoddam once I have the address.

Journal Entry 17 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Received on Friday, perfect timing as I finished the last of my TBR bookrings that day, and I'm already halfway through. I wept through many of the first chapters, but my eyes are dry now as I fascinatedly watch Anna self-medicate. Brooks is brilliant, simply brilliant.

Journal Entry 18 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 04, 2007
Will send on to TheGoblin73 when I have an address.

Journal Entry 19 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 04, 2007
This is a bit of a libris mirabilis. Sensitive, plausible, humane. I'm sure there are anachronisms in the language (occasional injections of archaic dialect are merely atmospheric; the language of narration is definitely more of the 21st century than the 17th) but science, theology and sentiment seem completely accurate to me.

I loved it. I'm not really relishing the prospect of reading Little Women, but I think I'm obliged to, in order to be able to enjoy Brooks' March :-)

Journal Entry 20 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Monday, November 26, 2007
Posted to TheGoblin73 today; apologies for the delay.

Thanks all for sharing. It's a very impressive story.

Journal Entry 21 by TheGoblin73 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, December 04, 2007
Recieved in the mail yesterday from xoddam via my sister's place in Sydney. Came with a nice supply of herbal tea. Methinks xoddam must be psychic as I am a herbal tea junkie, but had just moved house and was sans tea at the time of the book's arrival. Thanks J!!
I love this book! I read it several years ago as part of the Broadway bookclub in Sydney, and am looking forward to discovering it's beauty again. Thank you Bella! :-)

Journal Entry 22 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, December 20, 2007
Arrived 18/Dec - thanks so much thegoblin73 for sending it my way. Also to BellaMack for adding me to the ring. I am almost finished my current book so this one will be next. Hugs :o)

Journal Entry 23 by TheGoblin73 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, January 08, 2008
Doh! I can't believe I actually forgot to journal my reading of this before posting it on! I loved this book just as much the second time. It amazes me just how Brooks was able to take such a woeful, depressing situation and weave the story with such beauty. For me, it was one of those books that made me sad at the last page, because I was not ready to put it down just yet. The well-drawn characters are part of what made it such an exquisite read, and I think I saw Anna as the capable, loving mother that I myself never had. ..and of course the utter rawness of the villager's suffering. The scene in the cabin with the crazy woman doing all that wierd shit with her baby (am trying not to spoil the story here!) was just so real, I felt like I was there faced with the horror of it all myself. Very powerful writing! Thanks again, Bella!

Journal Entry 24 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, February 23, 2008
What an enjoyable read - my apologies for having it for so long. Thanks again for putting me further down the readers list as I really enjoyed this one. How lucky we are to have modern medicine and hopefully won't ever suffer anything so terrible as the Plague.

Odd to think that such a popular children's nursery rhyme was really about such a terrible Plague. (Ring a Rosie)

Thanks BellaMack. I have ShilpaM's address and the book is bagged, ready to go.

Journal Entry 25 by froggirlwendy at Controlled release in Boondall, Queensland Australia on Saturday, February 23, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (2/23/2008 UTC) at Controlled release in Boondall, Queensland Australia

Bookring on it's way to ShilpaM. Enjoy :o)

Journal Entry 26 by ShilpaM from Rydalmere, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 28, 2008
Thanks froggirlwendy! Will start it at the weekend.

Journal Entry 27 by ShilpaM from Rydalmere, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 28, 2008
Thanks froggirlwendy! Will start it at the weekend.

Journal Entry 28 by ShilpaM from Rydalmere, New South Wales Australia on Monday, May 26, 2008
My apologies to everyone, sent this book out yesterday. New job and 'quick' 3 week 'tour' of Australia has taken me away from my beloved books!

Journal Entry 29 by PaintedDuchess from Wolli Creek, New South Wales Australia on Monday, June 02, 2008
Just received the book. Looking forward to reading!