Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs

by Jeremy Mercer | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0753820587 Global Overview for this book
Registered by dubly of Luzern, Luzern Switzerland on 9/24/2006
Journal Entry 1 by dubly from Luzern, Luzern Switzerland on Sunday, September 24, 2006
From the blurb:
Shakespeare and Company`in Paris in one of the world`s most famous bookshops. Originally the haunt of literary greats, such as Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein and James Joyce, it later became the principal meeting place for Beatnik poets:Allen Ginsberg and William S. Burroughs were both visitors.
Today the tradition continues and writers still find their way to this bizarre establishment, one of them being Jeremy Mercer. Leaving his life as a crime reporter in Canada, he packs his bags and, on a whim, heads to Paris. With no friends, no job and no money, the thrill of escape soon palls but, by chance, he happens upon the fairytale world of "Shakespeare and Co."
A true, entertaining story about an unusual life in a very unusual accommodation

This book is on its way to penelopewanders in Hasliberg.

Journal Entry 3 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, October 05, 2006
Before I moved to Paris in 1974 I was given the address of Shakespeare and Company and told, "you write... you can look up George and stay there if you like"... well, I never actually slept there, but I did hang out with some of the people who were hanging out there.
Curious to compare my memories and experiences of the place with this.
Thanks so much for the trade!

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, February 17, 2009
As I know Shakespeare and company very well, I thought this would be an interesting read. I received it ages ago in a trade and finally put in the bathroom so that it would get read bit by bit.
At first Mercer annoyed me no end as he was indeed so typical of the rather arrogant "Paris is ours and we're the next generation of great American poets/novelists/thinkers" who I encountered at Shakespeare and company during the relatively short period I frequented it. The book did bring back many memories of that first year I spent in Paris (first of twenty-two...) so I am glad to have read it. I think it's a book for a ray if ever there was one, so I'll probably be offering it up soon, I think.

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Getting ready to send this as a ray.
So far:
fritzykatz (Germany) can ship int'l
Hayes13 (Italy), can ship international
Pell (Italy) can ship international-->sent
mrbaggins1 (South Africa) can ship int'l
jneni (Singapore) (can ship int'l)
Bug2004 (USA) US only
Jean-Sol (Australia) can ship int'l
Bluemchenblatt (France)can ship int'l
lidlekiwi (UK) UK only
Vekiki (UK) domestic preferably

Order may change as logic prevails...

This ray was started by the book being hand-carried to Germany. So we know it arrived safely. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by fritzykatz from Buchenbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, February 26, 2009
On a ray from penelopewanders; when I've finished it, it goes on to Italy. I'm interested what it has to offer.

Journal Entry 8 by fritzykatz from Buchenbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, March 09, 2009
I visited Shakespeare & Co. years ago when I was in Paris, but never realized the story behind it. Thanks for sharing this with me, penelopewanders! It's off ot Italy, maybe Hayes13 will go Paris someday,too!

Journal Entry 9 by wingHayes13wing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Friday, March 13, 2009
This arrived today!! Can't wait to read it. I hope I'm not too slow... I've got a few other things to finish first.

Journal Entry 10 by wingHayes13wing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/24/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

The ray continues! I am sending this off to Pell and I hope she likes it as much as I did.

The book was wonderful, soft, gentle, funny, sad, brilliant. I adore Paris (although I haven't been for many years), but I had never discovered Shakespeare and Company. I must return to Paris immediately!!

Both of my mother's (American) parents were born and raised in France. I wonder if they knew and loved Shakespeare and Company.

Journal Entry 11 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, April 01, 2009
Thank you Hayes for forwarding the book so promptly, I am so sorry that I did not journal when the book arrived, it came the day I was leaving Italy for the UK and have been away since. I am in the middle of another book at the moment but will read asap. Looking forward to reading this one very much.

Journal Entry 12 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Monday, May 11, 2009
Thank you so much penelopewanders for including me in this ring. Sorry it has taken me so long to finish this lovely book, I have been away and also very busy lately and my reading unfortunately has been rather limited, I do hope this hasn't caused too much of a problem.
I thought this was such a fascinating story, well written and so enjoyed reading it- have recommended it to all my friends. Am awaiting mrbaggins addi and will forward asap.

Journal Entry 13 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Posted off to Mrbaggins today from Canino, enjoy.