Communion Blood: A Novel of Saint-Germain

Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 1/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Picked up at BookCloseouts.com.

From the cover -
Spanning centuries, the saga of the immortal Count Saint-Germain is an ambitious and engrossing feat of the imagination that stunningly reimagines the place of vampires in our literary tradition. Unlike the dark monsters of myth, Saint-Germain is the last bastion of courtly virtue and honor in a society frequently overwhelmed by evil and cruelty. Yarbro's fascinating and dramatic novels have captured Saint-Germain throughout his long existence, from the temples of ancient Egypt to our present century.
Saint-Germain finds himself on the way to seventeenth-century Rome, the center of power for the Catholic Church. Niklos Aurilios, the loyal servant of Olivia Clemens, has been tending Olivia's estate since she died the True Death. But Niklos may lose his legitimate inheritance to a young German who claims to be the son of Olivia's fictitious husband. Saint-Germain must use all of his wiles and diplomatic skill to preserve Olivia's will without revealing their true nature.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 02, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018
One of the books from maryzee's collection 6of8 gave me to help distribute.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSpatialwing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, August 09, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (8/9/2018 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Passing along to another BCer who will enjoy the book and knew MaryZee.

Enjoy!

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 14, 2018
The books arrived safely on this rainy day; many thanks for the opportunity to move MaryZee's books along.

I've enjoyed the "Saint-Germain" series since the first book,Hotel Transylvania, set in 18th-century Paris; the mix of historical detail with perilous adventure and occasional steamy romance is an effective one. [The books jump around in time, so if you're devoted to reading a series in order you'll have to decide whether to read these in order of publication or in order by in-story timeframe. The author's web site includes a list of the books in either order. The books each stand alone quite well, though.] Some of my favorites include Blood Games, set in ancient Rome, and Out of the House of Life, set in ancient Egypt and, so far, the earliest look at the Count's history. I also love The Saint-Germain Chronicles, a collection of short stories ranging from the 17th century to modern times.

I liked this one because it picked up on the life of Niklos, the "Roger" to Olivia, one of the count's early loves and one who had embraced the vampire life for centuries - but died the true death some time back, leaving Niklos in charge of her estates. Now there's a claimant to the land, and a tricky battle of law, influence, and wit...

Amusingly, this volume is dedicated to Philip Quast, with the note "If only you were 5 foot 6" - Quast's a marvelous actor and singer, whose work as Javert in "Les Mis" entranced me, and it seems that Yarbro was also entranced. However, as he's 6' 2", he wouldn't be a suitable casting choice for a Saint-Germain film (or, dare I imagine it, a stage musical?) {grin}

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Mile Away Restaurant in Milford, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 03, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (11/3/2018 UTC) at Mile Away Restaurant in Milford, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench or ledge in or near the Mile Away restaurant while stopping by for dinner with friends. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***