Better in the Dark (St. Germain)

by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 1/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Picked this up at BookCloseouts.com.

From the cover -
Here at last is a long-hinted-at chapter in the undead existence of the immortal Count Saint-Germain: the story of Ranegonda of Saxony, one of the three great loves of Saint-Germain's life.

937 A.D. The Saxon fortress of Leosan is under the almost unheard-of rule of a woman. The Gerefa of the fortress has become a monk, leaving his sister, Ranegonda, to rule in his name as best she can - and to deal with his embittered, headstrong wife as well. Into this tense and dire situation comes Saint-Germain. Shipwrecked on the Baltic shore, near the true death, he is found by Ranegonda, whom he will come to love for the gift of blood she gives him, and for her own indomitable spirit.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 02, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018
One of the books from maryzee's collection 6of8 gave me to help distribute.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSpatialwing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, August 09, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (8/9/2018 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Passing along to another BCer who will enjoy the book and knew MaryZee.

Enjoy!

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 14, 2018
The books arrived safely on this rainy day; many thanks for the opportunity to move MaryZee's books along.

I've enjoyed the "Saint-Germain" series since the first book,Hotel Transylvania, set in 18th-century Paris; the mix of historical detail with perilous adventure and occasional steamy romance is an effective one. [The books jump around in time, so if you're devoted to reading a series in order you'll have to decide whether to read these in order of publication or in order by in-story timeframe. The author's web site includes a list of the books in either order. The books each stand alone quite well, though.] Some of my favorites include Blood Games, set in ancient Rome, and Out of the House of Life, set in ancient Egypt and, so far, the earliest look at the Count's history. I also love The Saint-Germain Chronicles, a collection of short stories ranging from the 17th century to modern times.

This book's set in medieval Saxony, and features Saint-Germain as the hostage of a noblewoman who's desperate to keep her people safe in the face of war and plague... As always, there are complications, some from unexpected quarters, and many difficult decisions must be made. And to add to the tension, Saint-Germain spends most of the book (and, I think, at least a couple of years) separated from his trusty bondsman Roger, who we see (via letters) moving heaven and earth to try and find him! [Since Roger's my favorite character, his relative lack of screen time makes this book less of a favorite with me than it might be, but it's still very enjoyable.]

Released 11 mos ago (8/14/2018 UTC) at Daniel Webster Hwy (see text for details) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book outside Trader Joe's on DW Highway in south Nashua; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***