Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon Mysteries)

by Nevada Barr | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 1/26/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, January 26, 2007
Picked this up at the Book Thing. This is the first in Barr's Anna Pigeon series.

From the cover -
The memory of violence and loss drove Anna Pigeon from the city to seek peace in the Southwestern wilderness. Now a ranger in America's national parks, Anna is at one with nature and its serene, unspoiled majesty. But the brutal death of a fellow ranger in the remote West Texas backcountry - presumably by mountain lion attack - looks suspiciously like murder to Anna. And her unauthorized investigation into the tragedy is placing her squarely in harm's way. For a trail with few leads winds through dangerous territory - where Anna must confront the dark side of the desert... and the human heart.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, August 03, 2012
Excellent, well-written mystery - definitely not a cozy, although not too graphic. I really enjoyed this, and am looking forward to reading more of these Anna Pigeon mysteries. Anna is a compelling character, flawed, with a difficult past. I like the relationship with her psychiatrist sister - long distance, anyone? A compelling cliffhanger in the middle, and an abrupt, unexpected ending; it makes me want to get further into Anna's personality. Intriguing; I'm looking forward to soon reading the 2nd book, A Superior Death.

This is reserved for a RABCK soon.

Released 6 yrs ago (8/6/2012 UTC) at Surprise via mail, RABCK to fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

This is going off as a surprise wishlist RABCK to Oklahoma. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Friday, August 10, 2012
Thanks MaryZee! I've heard a lot of good things about this series.

Journal Entry 5 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, January 28, 2013
A bit of a departure from what I normally read, and a gripping and interesting one at that. Anna Pigeon is a ranger at a national park nestled at the base of the Guadalupe mountains in Texas. While camping out one night, Anna stumbles across the body of a fellow ranger who appears to have been killed by a mountain lion. The death is ruled accidental, but to Anna it looks suspicious, and she begins covertly investigating the possibility that the ranger was murdered.

Most of the book is set in the park, and as someone who's never been hiking or camping (other than Girl Scout camps), it was an interesting peek into an unknown world. Anna is a fairly solitary, complicated character, still mourning the loss of her husband and just trying to live day by day. As she is drawn further and further into her investigation, we are drawn further and further into her life.

The mystery was well crafted, and the perpetrator stayed hidden from me until the very end. And there was a very tense chapter in the middle that had me almost holding my breath in fear for Anna, despite the fact that I know this is the first in a series so obviously she is not going to die. The writing is crisp and clever, and now I'm going to have to start hunting down the rest of the books in this series.

Journal Entry 6 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, June 30, 2013
I'm putting this book in bookstogive's ABC Bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Friday, October 18, 2013
This great book returned in the ABC Bookbox, thanks so much for setting it free! It looks like a good read and I am adding it to MTR.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Monday, April 06, 2015
I tried several times to read this one and just could not get into it so I am going to let it go to hopefully find a more appreciative reader.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbookstogivewing at Guyton, Georgia USA on Friday, November 06, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (11/6/2015 UTC) at Guyton, Georgia USA

Sharing with another LFL, Happy Travels!

To the finder of this book: