The Innocent

by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winglukutuoliwing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 9/19/2006
Journal Entry 1 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, September 19, 2006
I have read some books by Ian McEwan this year and he has become one of my favourite writers. I had to buy this one, because I haven't read it before.

"The setting is Berlin. Into this divided city, wrenched between East and West, between past and present; comes twenty-five-year-old Leonard Marnham, assigned to a British-American surveillance team. Though only a pawn in an international plot that is never fully revealed to him, Leonard uses his secret work to escape the bonds of his ordinary life – and to lose his unwanted innocence. The promise of his new life begins to be fulfilled as Leonard becomes a crucial part of the surveillance team, while simultaneously being initiated into a new world of love and sex by Maria, a beautiful young German woman. It is a promise that turns to horror in the course of one terrible evening – a night when Leonard Marnham learns just how much of his innocence he's willing to shed."

Journal Entry 2 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, November 21, 2007
This wasn't the best of the books of McEwan, but after the boring beginning, the book was captivating and exciting to read! I'm glad I didn't give up too early :)
This book deserves new readers, so someone will get the book as a HGG-surprise! Happy Christmas!

Journal Entry 3 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, November 23, 2007
What a lovely surprise, thanks so much! Ian McEwan is one of my favourite writers, too.

Thank you also for the lovely teabags! And the photos! Merry Christmas!

Journal Entry 4 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, November 27, 2007
I read Mc Ewan's On Chesil Beach a couple of weeks ago, and was slightly disappointed, but The Innocent restored my faith in his talent. I enjoyed reading it enormously, and the story was really captivating (although a part of it was so disgusting that I barely managed to read it...you know what part I mean if you've read the book).

Thanks, lukutuoli, for sending me this book! I know a couple of other bookcrossers who like McEwan, so the book will have a new reader soon.

Journal Entry 5 by aava from Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Santa brought me this book. I read it in Finnish some time ago, but I glad I have the chance to read it in original language. Thank you so much Tintti. And of course Merry Christmast!

Journal Entry 6 by aava from Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Saturday, November 8, 2008
I finished reading this a long time ago, but as usual didn't remember to make a journal entry. I agree with Tintti, not the best by McEwan, but a very good book still. Fascinating background and enough suspense to keep a reader going. It's wonderful how McEwan gets a reader really to see and understand the motives and doings of his characters.

Journal Entry 7 by aava at Lielahden kirkko in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, January 31, 2009

Released 13 yrs ago (1/31/2009 UTC) at Lielahden kirkko in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Sisareni tyttö kastetaan tänään. Hänen kunniaksi vapautan tämän kirjan, onhan pikku-neiti vielä todella viaton...tarkkaa paikka en osaa sanoa, mutta luultavasti eteis/aulatiloissa.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookgeowing from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, April 8, 2009
It was a surprise to find this book in the book exchange shelf in Metso, the main library of Tampere. Somehow the book has made its way from the church of Lielahti to the Metso library :).

I took this book with me for two reasons: I have not read any McEwan's books so far and I also thought this would be good material for an OBCZ release abroad.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookgeowing from Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, September 18, 2009
I am interested in intelligence stories and also in the actual life of the cold war spys so this definitely was a good book for me. The cold war atmosphere and its effects also on the daily lives was described really well. Also Leonard's and Maria's relationship in the book was interesting as it pointed out that love often is anything but simple and straightforward.

Having visited Berlin it was also nice to remember and reflect on some places described in the story. It is amazing to imagine how different the city was in the fifties. One funny thing in the book was the idea of a bar where you can send messages from one table to another via tubes, something I had never heard before.

Next the book will travel to its whereabouts, so it's off to Germany. Unfortunately it will not be travelling to Berlin itself, but my fiancé will take it to an OBCZ in Essen while he visits a GPS fair there for business.

Journal Entry 10 by Mechowi from Essen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Hello!

I found the book on a table in the livingroom of the Unperfekthaus Essen tonight.
It's my very first bookcrossing book!!! Intrigued by the idea I had joined bookcrossing maybe a year ago or so but then I forgot all about it... so this book came as a surprise!
Since I have a few days off right now, I'll take the book with me when I'm travelling - it comes in handy!

Greetings from Essen!

Journal Entry 11 by wingunperfekthauswing at Essen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Somehow it returned to Unperfekthaus, welcome back!

Journal Entry 12 by wingunperfekthauswing at Essen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, April 1, 2012
...and somehow it's travelling again :-)

Journal Entry 13 by KatarinaABC at Essen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, April 16, 2012
I found the book at the Unperfekt Haus in Essen and released at a railway station somewhere in Bavaria, Germany. Cannot remember where exactly, sorry!