The Big Over Easy

by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by chas04 of Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 9/16/2006
Journal Entry 1 by chas04 from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 16, 2006
FL 'If Queen Anne hadn't suffered so badly from Gout and Dropsy, Reading might never have developed at all.'

It's Easter in Reading - bad time for eggs - and no-one can remember the last sunny day. Ovoid D-class nursery celebrity Humpty Stuyvesant Van Dumpty III, minor baronet, ex-convict and former millionaire philanthropist is found shattered to death beneath a wall in a shabby area of town. Evidence points to his ex-wife who has met with an accident down at the Yummy-Time biscuit factory.

But Detective Inspector Jack Spratt and his assistant Mary Mary remain unconvinced, a sentiment not shred by their superiors at the Reading Police Department, who are still smarting over their failure to convict the Three Pigs of murdering Mr Wolff. Before long Jack and Mary find themselves grappling with a sinister plot involving cross-border money laundering, bullion smuggling, problems with beanstalks, titans seeking asylum and the cut and thrust world of international chiropody.

Hardback
Published by Hodder & Stoughton 2005

Journal Entry 2 by chas04 from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 09, 2007
Quite a nice amusing and easy read, I'd definitely read more by this author. I loved the way the nursery rhymes and fictional characters merged into the 'real' world. Not quite like the rather zany humour of Robert Rankin, more of a gentle Douglas Adams.

Journal Entry 3 by chas04 from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Sending to Schwarzermann in Germany, enjoy the book!!!!

Journal Entry 4 by schwarzer-mann from Hamburg - City, Hamburg Germany on Thursday, December 06, 2007
Thanks for this book !

Journal Entry 5 by nox07 from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, December 24, 2007
I got this book via www.bookmooch.com. It was send to me after I requested this book.

Journal Entry 6 by nox07 from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Very nice book. Bit more childish than the Thursday Next books, but an enjoyable read. It's been requested by someone via Bookmooch, so it's on its way again, this time to Canada

Journal Entry 7 by nixie from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Thursday, May 22, 2008
I just got this book via BookMooch. I loved the Thursday Next books, so I'm looking forward to reading this one.