My Bundjalung People

by Ruby Langford Ginibi | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by cosmic-gin of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 9/12/2006
Journal Entry 1 by cosmic-gin from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, September 12, 2006
When Ruby Lanfor Ginibi was 8 her father collected his daughters from the Box Ridge mission and frove them to safety out of reach of the white authorities and the policy of removing Aboriginal children from their families.

Today an established author and Aboriginal activist, she travels back to her home in Bundjalung country, to trace and record the history of her community, her roots. The reader is taken aboard on the journey home, down the backroads of norther New South Wales into the homes and conversations of cousins, aunties and tribal elders. The experience is direct and the feelings shared. Ruby writes with the humour, exuberance and unbending truth for which her first book, Don't Take Your Love to Town, is touted.

Journal Entry 2 by cosmic-gin from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 15, 2008
Had been anxious to read this book for years since it's about my people and was sure to have family in it (which it did). But ohhh god was it a painful read, she's not a very good writer and it all felt so forced and inappropriate at times (protocols).

The style of writing is all over the place going from overviews, direct quoting, child-like descriptions, the third person and everything else in between. I so wanted to love it - but obviously didn't. Could of been so much better if someone else wrote it. I was glad when it was over .....

Journal Entry 3 by cosmic-gin from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 07, 2009
Given to charity