The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0224071912 Global Overview for this book
Registered by soleille of Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on 9/12/2006
Journal Entry 1 by soleille from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, September 12, 2006
What do *you* do when you travel to London? Go into the Tower, eat fish and chips, watch the Queen wave to you? Not me, I bought books :o)
With charity shops and library sales I thought I had died and gone to book heaven! I just calculated my treasures: I bought sixteen books for an average price of *drumroll* 34p each! This book was one of the most expensive ones though: part of a 3 hardcovers for 2 pounds deal - and that in very good condition with only the dust jacket slighly crumbled.

But to get back to the point, erm, book:
The protagonists first meet each other when she is 6 and he in his 40s. They get together when she is 18 and he in his twenties and marry. Huh? Well, he is a time traveller - it's in his genes. Without being able to control it, he ends up in the past or future of different ages -stark naked as time-travellers can't bring anything from one time to another. Apart from enabling him to meet his future wife wayyyyyy before this would be normally possible, this can be quite a strain in daily life for him and for his spouse always staying behind, not knowing when he will come back - and dangerous...

I bought the book because I had heard so much good about it and absolutely loved it! I was going to release it into the wild after I was done, but have decided to make it part of the well-travelled challenge.
Apart from having traveller in the title, this is already a well-travelled little fellow: before I liberated it from Trinity Hospice Charity Shop, it had belonged to a Dawn who has written phone number and email address on the first page. I should really contact her, maybe that's someone else who thinks it is exciting to track a book's travels :O) At some other time, it was in the possession of another woman who took it to Barbados (or at least put the ticket stub from a Barbados-London flight in there). Next stop is cnfotp, and who knows where it will go from there? *waves* Goodbye, booky, write home!

Journal Entry 2 by cnfotp on Tuesday, October 03, 2006
This actually arrived a few days ago so I'm sorry for the late journal entry. I was so sure I'd already done this, I just haven't got a clue what's going on at the moment!! Thank you so much for all of the goodies - the mini loves the whistle and uses it for practising his racing :)

If I get my act together I shall PM you shortly, but in the meantime, is there anybody after me on this? Don't worry if you can't remember as I'll figure it out while I update my update on the stats (what a headache that's being!).

Love your JE by the way - it's a definite contender :)

To be read and passed on for the Well Travelled Wild Release Challenge.

Journal Entry 3 by cnfotp on Sunday, October 08, 2006
Oh my goodness! What an amazing book. I couldn't put this one down and will say straight away that it's one of the best books I have read in a long, long time.

The story is original and expertly dispatched. The skills used in the telling of this story are awe-inspiring and even more impressive when you realise this is her first book. Impossibly sad and heartbreaking, yet warm and inspirational, this book takes us along the life of a romance which defies convention and natural laws. I love the characters, the concept and the delivery. I also think it will make a great film so will be watching out for one being made.

Thank you so much for sharing this book solielle, it's beautiful and I don't want to let it go!! I'll pass it on when I have my pennies sorted and will find out where it is going next. Are you gettine my PMs by the way?