A Lesson Before Dying

by Ernest J. Gaines | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lovemylife of Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on 9/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by lovemylife from Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, September 10, 2006
This novel is set in a small Cajun community in the late 1940s. Jefferson, a young black man, is an unwitting party to a liquor store shootout in which three men a killed. He is the only survivor and is convicted of murder and sentenced to death. Grant Wiggins, who left his hometown for the university, has returned to the plantation school to teach. As he struggles with his decision to stay or escape to another state, his aunt and Jefferson's godmother persuade hiom to visit Jefferson in his cell and impart his learning and pride to Jefferson before his death. In the end, the two men forge a bond as they both come to understand the simple heroism of resisting and defying the unexpected.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Received this in the mail today. Thanks so much for helping me complete my collection of Oprah book club books! Now, I just need to read them :S lol

Thanks LML!! Once again, you've brought a smile to my face! :)

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 01, 2013
Grant Wiggins left his small Cajun community as a young man to attend university, though he returned to his hometown to teach the other children of the community. When Jefferson, a young black man, is convicted for killing a liquor store attendant when he really was only in the wrong place at the wrong time, Grant is asked to help. Jefferson's godmother and Grant's aunt persuade him to try to make Jefferson see that he is a man. Grant doesn't want to confront Jefferson because there are a lot of hidden feelings he has about having to return to his hometown rather than becoming a successful black man in the world.

There are a lot of characters in this novel that seem to have no relevance to its outcome. Many children that Grant teaches are frequent to the story, as well as his girlfriend. They don't add too much. The story really could take place with Jefferson, Grant, the two elderly ladies, the reverend, and a few of the folks at the jail.

I can understand why people really enjoy this novel but it didn't really resonate with me. The only part that I really enjoyed was one of the last conversations that Grant and Jefferson had together, where Grant realized that this was about more than just Jefferson but about himself and the rest of the community too. The rest of it I neither loved nor hated.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at PATH (Toronto's downtown walkway) in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 03, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (9/2/2015 UTC) at PATH (Toronto's downtown walkway) in Toronto, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.