Good Grief

by Lolly Winston | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by elfgirlsmom of Phoenix, Arizona USA on 9/9/2006
Journal Entry 1 by elfgirlsmom from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Saturday, September 9, 2006
I read this several years ago and remember liking it very much. Picked up this copy for the Chick-lit Sweeps.

Journal Entry 2 by intry from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, September 21, 2006
I'm the winner? Wohooo!

Amazon.com Review
Some widows face their loss with denial. Sophie Stanton's reaction is one of pure bafflement. "How can I be a widow?" Sophie asks at the opening of Lolly Winston's sweet debut novel, Good Grief. "I'm only thirty-six. I just got used to the idea of being married." Sophie's young widowhood forces her to do all kinds of crazy things--drive her car through her garage door, for instance. That's on one of the rare occasions when she bothers to get out of bed. The Christmas season especially terrifies her: "I must write a memo to the Minister of Happier Days requesting that the holidays be cancelled this year." But widowhood also forces her to do something very sane. After the death of her computer programmer husband, she reexamines her life as a public relations agent in money-obsessed Silicon Valley. Sophie decides to ease her grief, or at least her loneliness, by moving in with her best friend Ruth in Ashland, Oregon. But it's her difficult relationship with psycho teen punker Crystal, to whom she becomes a Big Sister, that mysteriously brings her at least a few steps out of her grief. Winston allows Sophie life after widowhood: The novel almost indiscernibly turns into a gentle romantic comedy and a quirky portrait of life in an artsy small town. At all stops on her journey from widow to survivor, Sophie is a lively, crabby, delightfully imperfect character. --Claire Dederer --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Publishers Weekly
"The grief is up already. It is an early riser, waiting with its gummy arms wrapped around my neck, its hot, sour breath in my ear." Sophie Stanton feels far too young to be a widow, but after just three years of marriage, her wonderful husband, Ethan, succumbs to cancer. With the world rolling on, unaware of her pain, Sophie does the only sensible thing: she locks herself in her house and lives on what she can buy at the convenience store in furtive midnight shopping sprees. Everything hurts—the telemarketers asking to speak to Ethan, mail with his name on it, his shirts, which still smell like him. At first Sophie is a "good" widow, gracious and melancholy, but after she drives her car through the garage door, something snaps; she starts showing up at work in her bathrobe and hiding under displays in stores. Her boss suggests she take a break, so she sells her house and moves to Ashland, Ore., to live with her best friend, Ruth, and start over. Grief comes along, too—but with a troubled, pyromaniac teen assigned to her by a volunteer agency, a charming actor dogging her and a new job prepping desserts at a local restaurant, Sophie is forced to explore the misery that has consumed her. Throughout this heartbreaking, gorgeous look at loss, Winston imbues her heroine and her narrative with the kind of grace, bitter humor and rapier-sharp realness that will dig deep into a reader's heart and refuse to let go. Sophie is wounded terribly, but she's also funny, fresh and utterly believable. There's nary a moment of triteness in this outstanding debut.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Thank you for sending it!!

Journal Entry 3 by intry at Åbo Akademi, Arken in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, November 19, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (11/19/2016 UTC) at Åbo Akademi, Arken in Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

By the clothes rack at the main entrance.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, December 26, 2016
The first chicklit I've read and a pleasant surprise. I especially enjoyed the funny and very believable relationship between the main character and the teen girl. I sobbed and laughed my fair share. Thank you.