The Hours

by Michael Cunningham | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 184115783x Global Overview for this book
Registered by French-girl on 9/8/2006
Journal Entry 1 by French-girl on Friday, September 08, 2006
I loved it! Sorry, no time for my own comments...
Amazon.com:
"The Hours is both an homage to Virginia Woolf and very much its own creature. Even as Michael Cunningham brings his literary idol back to life, he intertwines her story with those of two more contemporary women. One gray suburban London morning in 1923, Woolf awakens from a dream that will soon lead to Mrs. Dalloway. In the present, on a beautiful June day in Greenwich Village, 52-year-old Clarissa Vaughan is planning a party for her oldest love, a poet dying of AIDS. And in Los Angeles in 1949, Laura Brown, pregnant and unsettled, does her best to prepare for her husband's birthday, but can't seem to stop reading Woolf. These women's lives are linked both by the 1925 novel and by the few precious moments of possibility each keeps returning to. Clarissa is to eventually realize:
There's just this for consolation: an hour here or there when our lives seem, against all odds and expectations, to burst open and give us everything we've ever imagined.... Still, we cherish the city, the morning; we hope, more than anything, for more.
As Cunningham moves between the three women, his transitions are seamless. One early chapter ends with Woolf picking up her pen and composing her first sentence, "Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself." The next begins with Laura rejoicing over that line and the fictional universe she is about to enter. Clarissa's day, on the other hand, is a mirror of Mrs. Dalloway's--with, however, an appropriate degree of modern beveling as Cunningham updates and elaborates his source of inspiration. Clarissa knows that her desire to give her friend the perfect party may seem trivial to many. Yet it seems better to her than shutting down in the face of disaster and despair. Like its literary inspiration, The Hours is a hymn to consciousness and the beauties and losses it perceives. It is also a reminder that, as Cunningham again and again makes us realize, art belongs to far more than just "the world of objects." --Kerry Fried --

Journal Entry 2 by French-girl on Monday, September 25, 2006
Offered as a ring... Too good not to pass on!
Please read it and then PM the following person on the list for adress.
Ring order so far:

AcawaIka (France)
Bluemchenblatt (France, for now ;-))
oyezbravesgens (France)
Odalisque (France)
chtitecam (France)
cat207 (Australia)
scrutiny (China)
bestfriends (Belgium)
...
Back to French-girl (The Netherlands)

Journal Entry 3 by French-girl on Monday, October 02, 2006
Off to AcawaIka!

Journal Entry 4 by AcawaIka from Rueil-Malmaison, Ile-de-France France on Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Bien reçu ! Il va rejoindre le sommet de ma Pàl...ce sera le prochain que je lirai !

Promis, j'essaierai de ne pas trop vous faire patienter !

Acawa

Journal Entry 5 by wingBluemchenblattwing from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Monday, February 05, 2007
Well arrived, thank you, will be read as soon as possible. (Sadly no review from Acawalka. ;__;)

Journal Entry 6 by wingBluemchenblattwing from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, February 22, 2007
I've -finally!- finished it.

Shortly after it arrived I felt obliged at least to take a look at it. After two chapters I put it away and didn't touch it for awhile. A lot of self-persuasion had to be done, before I picked it up again.
It got better, or maybe rather not, but I got used to the style, which I didn't fancy much. The idea is interesting as is the theme, but Cunningham definitely hasn't made me too curious about his other pieces nor do I want to watch the movie. Actually, I couldn't care less.

Thanks for the interesting elements, but no thanks for everything else, dear Mr. Cunningham.

(Still, French-girl, thanks to you for sharing.)

Journal Entry 7 by Odalisque from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Remis en mains propres par Bluemi, dont j'ai fait la connaissance à cette occasion et qui m'a emmenée me ballader sur la promenade plantée du 12°.
Merci pour l'agréable moment et pour le livre. Je commence la lecture en parallèle à celle d'un Musset d'un autre ring.

Journal Entry 8 by Odalisque from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, September 02, 2007
J'ai beaucoup aimé ! Et j'avais un a priori pas trop favorable sur l'idée même du livre. J'ai été trés sensible à la restitution des modes d'être au monde des différents personnages. C'est un livre dans lequel on comprend ce que c'est qu'une personne. Merci à French-girl de l'avoir partagé. Bonne lecture aux suivants.

Journal Entry 9 by chtitecam from Limours, Ile-de-France France on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Merci pour le livre - bien arrivé - et pour les petits cadeaux accompagnant!

Journal Entry 10 by chtitecam from Limours, Ile-de-France France on Wednesday, January 23, 2008
I really enjoyed this book! These 3 women, who have existences so different and so near...What a refreshing reflexion on love, on the meaning of our existence, on life and death...
I'll soon read Mrs Dalloway!
The book is on its way to Australia!

Journal Entry 11 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Friday, February 01, 2008
Arrived in today's mail. Thank you for the beautiful postcard, chtitecam, and thank you French-girl for sharing. X

Journal Entry 12 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, February 05, 2008
I can't say that this has been a favourite, but then I'm not exactly a Virginia Woolf fan. I did like that the stories tied together in the end.

Heading to scrutiny in Hong Kong in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 13 by scrutiny on Wednesday, February 20, 2008
It's arrived! Will get a start on it soon.

Journal Entry 14 by scrutiny on Friday, March 28, 2008
Didn't manage to finish it, but I sent it on a few days ago, so as not to hold up the ring!

Journal Entry 15 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, April 03, 2008
In my mailbox today, all the way from Hong Kong. Thanks scrutiny!

This is the third ringbook that arrives in one week! I already managed to read the other two. Much as I'm looking forward to reading this one, I hope it's okay, that before I start it, I finish reading the book I put on hold when the first book arrived last week. Since I'm the last one on the list, I'd rather do that, than read this in a hurry. Up next after my current read, I promise.

Journal Entry 16 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, April 10, 2008
I have read "Flesh and Blood" by this author and loved it, so when I saw this ring announced, I joined it, without paying too much attention to what this novel was about. If I had, I'd either have read at least something by Virginia Woolf first, or I would have let it pass. Although well written and very skilfully done, this is so completely different..... Not really my cup of tea.

Thanks for sharing anyway.

Journal Entry 17 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, April 18, 2008
I have asked for mailing instructions twice by PM, but received no reply so far.

Frenchgirl, do I return the book to you or do you want to continue the ring? You could also donate it to the 1001-books library ;-)

Will give it a good home in the meantime ;-)

Ik zou het vanuit Nederland terug sturen (scheelt 3 euro), maar ik kom er helaas voorlopig niet. Gaat dus toch maar hier op de post.

Journal Entry 18 by bestfriends at Spa, Liège / Luik Belgium on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (5/13/2008 UTC) at Spa, Liège / Luik Belgium

By mail

KTMC # 18

Journal Entry 19 by French-girl on Saturday, May 17, 2008
Arrived safely! Thank you bestfriends for sending it! It will take its place back on my bookshelf. I'm happy I had the opportunity to share it! :-)