The Virgin Suicides

by Jeffrey Eugenides | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 034910543x Global Overview for this book
Registered by bigcurlyloz of Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on 9/7/2006
Journal Entry 1 by bigcurlyloz from Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 07, 2006
"Haunting and tender, with brilliant flashes of humour, THE VIRGIN SUICIDES is the story of the disintegration of a captivating American family in 1970s suburban Michigan. The five Lisbon sisters are embalmed in the memories of the boys who worshipped them and who, twenty years on, recall their adolescence: the sisters' gauche but breathtaking appearance on the night of the homecoming dance; the brassière belonging to the beautiful, promiscuous Lux, draped over a crucifix on the wall; the records the boys played down the phone, trying desperately to penetrate the sisters' isolation; and the sultry, sleepy street across which they watched fragile lives disappear ...

Well-received at Cannes, THE VIRGIN SUICIDES movie, directed and written by Sofia Coppola (daughter of Francis Ford) and starring an impressive cast - including Kathleen Turner, James Woods and Danny DeVito - is released in the UK in Spring 2000. Theatrical prospects are good for this timely and accomplished movie which will attract young as well as more mature viewers, and may generate controversy as well." - amazon.co.uk description

Journal Entry 2 by bigcurlyloz from Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 07, 2006
I only joined Bookcrossing in July and have since been amassing books at an alarming rate! I'm not going to have time to read many of them soon, so I'm offering up some of the more popular ones as rings. I'm going to limit the participants to 15 (so it doesn't take *forever* to get back to me!), unless additional participants satisfy unfulfilled shipping preferences.

Participants:
bigcurlyloz
katfysh (Australia - Australia/anywhere surface)
CaterinaAnna (UK - anywhere)
Molyneux (UK - ?) <--- book is here
JudeK (UK - ?)
moontree (UK - Intl)
vicki9170 (US - Intl)
livrecache (Aus - Intl)
lukutuoli (Finland - ?)
Anke68 (Germany - ?)
Panzeranzi (Sweden - Intl)
chas04 (UK - UK/Intl)

How it works
- PM me to join and state your shipping preferences.
- When I have at least 5 people, I'll post the book to the first person.
- Please journal the book when it arrives and when you've sent it on.
- When you've read it, please PM the next person on the list for their address.
- Bear in mind other people want to read it, so don't put it at the bottom of your TBR pile (6 weeks is a reasonable timeframe imo)!
- The last person on the list is to send it back to me :-)

When I have enough participants I'll sort the order to suit as many people's postage preferences as possible.

Journal Entry 3 by katfysh from Penrith, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Received and read, sending on to CaterinaAnna tomorrow.

I got through this book in a few hours, I was hooked! Having seen the movie I had an idea what to expect, but it's another cases of the movie not doing the book justice. It's somewhat frustrating to be left with so many questions and very few (if any) answers, but the writing and story are beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Arrived safely today, well yesterday now I suppose. There are two chunky books up before it, but will aim to finish before the next time I know for sure I'm going to see Mol (Dec 9) & pass it on by hand.

Journal Entry 5 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, December 02, 2006
I never have seen the film, but would be interested to see how it was handled as so much of what happens here seems to be internal and descriptive.

I too thought the descriptions were wonderful, but was left wanting to know more about the less flamboyant sisters.

Passed on to Molyneux at the BC Cov Christmas quiz.

Journal Entry 7 by Molyneux from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 22, 2007
oops...I now realise I hadn't journaled this book & on top of that have kept it too long! Sorry!

Will post it on as soon as I have an address - review to follow asap!

Journal Entry 8 by JudeK from Scarborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2007
Really sorry. Ended up on 2 bookrings for this book and sent other one on, completely forgot I had it. Will PM next person as I tried to read the 1st one sent to me and couldn't get on with it at all.

Journal Entry 9 by newcastlemarga from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, September 09, 2007
I've just come back from a wedding to find this book waiting for me. :) I read it once years ago and remember it being spellbinding but with a frustrating ending! (as the reader is given so few answers). Looking forward to reading it again.

Journal Entry 10 by newcastlemarga from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, September 29, 2007
Much as I remembered it. Thanks, Bigcurlyloz, for giving me the chance to read this again. I'm PMing Vicki9170 for her address now.

Journal Entry 11 by newcastlemarga from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, October 27, 2007
In the post today. Sorry for the delay - I've been waiting for the chaos to die down after the Royal Mail strikes.

Journal Entry 12 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Thursday, November 29, 2007
Received today, have one ahead of this that I'm finishing so should start reading tomorrow night or Saturday. :)

Journal Entry 13 by vicki9170 from St. Petersburg, Florida USA on Sunday, December 09, 2007
Finished reading today, messaging livrecache for their address.