Strange Piece of Paradise

by Terri Jentz | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 1427200009 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingFiregirlwing of Tucson, Arizona USA on 8/2/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, August 02, 2007
AUDIOBOOK -- 7 CDs

From Publishers Weekly: Nearly 20 years after being brutally assaulted, Jentz returns to the scene of the crime demanding answers in a crusade that continues for several years. She uncovers the dark secrets of the smalltown Oregon community that kept her alleged attacker from being brought to justice. Angered by the imperfections of the criminal justice system, her efforts have generated this book to make every listener aware of how fragile the system can be. At times, Colin's reading proves engaging and certainly keeps a moderate pace for the prose. Yet occasionally, her tone denotes condescension and arrogance, particularly toward smalltown people, that may not have been Jentz's intention. The text could be making matter-of-fact statements, but Colin's tone twists the meaning. She occasionally fails to vocally clarify when she is speaking in the first person of someone else besides Jentz, who tells her tale entirely in first person. This confusion is usually sorted out after the quote, but the repeated confusion can frustrate the listener. Despite this, Colin does send shivers down listeners' spines when reading Jentz's detailed description of her assault. (Copyright © Reed Business Information)

Journal Entry 2 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, October 11, 2007
Sending off to sunny Florida in audiobook postal trade. This is an entrancing listen -- hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 3 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Friday, October 26, 2007
Got this in the mail today - Thanks, Firegirl! Unfortunately it's not too sunny today, but at least it's cool.

Journal Entry 4 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Sunday, May 18, 2008
I put this in my audio bookbox which will be going out soon.

Journal Entry 5 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Saturday, May 24, 2008
Pulled out of Carlissa's Audio CD-only BookBox.

Journal Entry 6 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Friday, October 03, 2008
This was at times riveting though the seven CDs make it a long listen - took me three nights at work (think that's a record for me for continuous listening to an audiobook). I could really empathize with the main character, and am appalled that a whole town just kept quiet and did nothing about a violent crime (while the stereotype we always hear is that such things occur only in large cities, this was in rural Oregon).

Journal Entry 7 by BigJohnLefty at Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 14, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (11/14/2008 UTC) at Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting this into Booklady331's CD-only Audiobookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, March 27, 2009
This is another book that seems to have made the circle of BCers. I am going to keep this one to listen to. Will begin the 3rd round soon.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 04, 2010
To Terri Jentz, Oregon is a dark and strange piece of paradise. After her freshman year at Yale, Jentz and her roommate Shayna set off on a summer 1977 crossing the country from Oregon to Virginia on a BikeCentennial route. They awoke that night to the unimaginable horror of a pickup truck driving through their tent, and then a handsome phantom of a cowboy striking them repeatedly with an axe.

Jentz was physically damaged by the event, but she moved on with her life Her companion Shayna had amnesia about the night and barely survived with limited vision. She distanced herself from Jentz and the memories of that night as much as possible. As I read, I wondered what I would have done in their situation.

Fifteen years later, Jentz returned to Cline Falls, Oregon to investigate her past. The statute of limitations on attempted murder in Oregon was a mere three years, so this was truly a personal exploration, not a formal legal investigation.

Jentz had access to the close-knit community of Cline Falls. Over the course of a decade, she traveled to Oregon repeatedly to chase down leads, interview police, talk to witnesses, and re-unite with her rescuers and with the hospital staff who cared for her. The girls "who got chopped up at Cline Falls" were ingrained in the collective memory of citizens. She discovered that the town had long suspected one of their own, an alcoholic, abusive sadist with a long history of domestic violence. He even had a nickname--Dick Duran the Hatchet Man.

Jentz finds witnesses who contradict one another, who contradict previous statements, and people who made claims but have been influenced by the gossip around town in the two decades since the crime. The author should be commended for her dedication to factual accuracy that appears to be the basis for the book.

It was a scarey real-life happening. I don't think I ever would have gone camping again.

Released 10 yrs ago (1/22/2011 UTC) at bookbox (Cape Coral) in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, Florida USA

Enjoy! Off in round 5 of my CD only bookbox

Journal Entry 11 by affinity4books at Bryan, Texas USA on Saturday, June 04, 2011
My dad wants to listen to this one while travelling for work. Taken from the box. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by affinity4books at Bryan, Texas USA on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (7/11/2012 UTC) at Bryan, Texas USA

going out in booklady331's audio bookbox to find a new listener

Journal Entry 13 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Arrived back home in my CD only bookbox.

Journal Entry 14 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (8/28/2012 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! Staying in my CD only bookbox. I trust this book finds a new listener.

Journal Entry 15 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, September 06, 2012
This one sounds interesting. Going to snag it out of the box!