The Sorrow of Sisters

by Wendy K. Harris | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1905175264 Global Overview for this book
Registered by LyzzyBee of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 8/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 23, 2006
Acquired from publisher 28 Apr 2006

Another winner from Transita. I finished this a couple of days ago, but it and the characters are lingering in my head. The themes of seaside, art, home, and family secrets remind me of Rosamund Pilcher (in my eyes, a Good Thing), but it is more raw and, in places shocking. I picked up on some of the clues to the plot twists but not all of them - a satisfying experience. The spiritual or "magical" dimension was fascinating and cleverly interwoven into the plot and the narrators' voices (in themselves cleverly interwoven), and did not get too much, but lent an interesting additional dimension. Not every strand was tied off neatly at the end, which again, is good and leads to a more fully satisfying read.

One final point - I was very happy to see that the lovely animals in the book came to no harm, even as the humans were damaging and fighting each other. It's a theme I find all too often in novels - animals put in to be sacrificed - and I've noted that this doesn't seem to happen in Transita books.

Written a fuller review as I'm going to post it on the Transita website; hope the author likes my thoughts on it!

Will be available on a BookRing soon btw...

Journal Entry 2 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, August 28, 2006
BOOKRING!

Usual rules apply...

Make a journal entry when you receive the book
Contact the next reader for their address when you are almost done
Post a review when you've read the book - please try to send it on within a month of receipt if you can
Make a journal entry or controlled release notes when you send the book on

PARTICIPANTS

Scotsbookie Scotland (anywhere, surface)
Playinghearts UK (UK)
Pammykn US (North America)
Loveamystery Canada (anywhere, surface)
stuff-nonsense Canada (anywhere)
Mallary France (Europe)
LindyLouMac Italy (Europe)
WelshHelen UK (UK)
LindyB28 UK (UK)
Birmingham-Rose UK (UK)
Lellie UK (anywhere) (near the end)
Sherlockfan New Zealand (NZ/Aus)
Sally906 Australia (anywhere)
[[[Makita21 Australia (anywhere) <--- asked to be skipped ]]]
GateGypsy Canada (anywhere) <-- it's here - ray completed!!!

... it's a ray!

Journal Entry 3 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, September 11, 2006
Emailed scotsbookie to check it's OK to send this on!

Posting to scotsbookie today.

Journal Entry 5 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Arrived safely this morning, thank you LyzzyBee. #1 on Mount TBR

Journal Entry 6 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 28, 2006
What can I say that LyzzyBee hasn't said already. I thouroughly enjoyed the book, it is one of the best I have read this year as the rating suggests. Transita books are new to me & I look forward to reading more.

I finished the book a few days ago but feel myself thinking about the book & the characters often. The characters & landscape were as one in this book, oh how I would love a place to retreat to like Wraith Cottage & cove. Like LyzzyBee I guessed at some of the plot twists but this didn't take away from my reading, if anything it enhanced it.

Thank you LyzzyBee for giving me the chance to read this book. I have playinghearts details & will have it in the post asap.

Journal Entry 7 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 02, 2006
Popped in the post to playinghearts this morning.

Journal Entry 8 by playinghearts from Dudley, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Received from Scotsbookie last week,thank you!All my rings have inevitably arrived at once but I will try to read as soon as I can!

Journal Entry 9 by pammykn from Decatur, Alabama USA on Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Thanks -- arrived today. Will read soon.

Journal Entry 10 by pammykn from Decatur, Alabama USA on Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Love these transita books! This one was a bit slow to start for me but 1/4 way in I quickly became very involved w/ all the characters, their pasts and interconnections and turning pages to see how all would be resolved. Very enjoyable and I am grateful to my bookcrossing friends for introducing & sharing the transita books! Sending off to loveamystery 02/22.

Journal Entry 11 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, March 03, 2007
It has arrived. Thank you pammykn for sending it to me. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 12 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, March 11, 2007
What a wonderful story! I absolutely loved it! The writer manages to transmit the depth of feeling of all the characters so well. The tension throughout the book is contrasted with the healing power of the location, described to the point that one can see and hear the sea with its restfulness. Thank you LyzzyBee for sharing it.

Mailed to stuff-nonsense today. Released for week#10(blue sky) of Never Judge a Book by its Cover release challenge and Keep Them Moving release challenge. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by Stuff-Nonsense from Parksville, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, March 14, 2007
This just arrived in the mail from loveamystery - thanks to everyone for getting it here! I will settle with it on the weekend!

Stuff-Nonsense

Journal Entry 15 by Stuff-Nonsense from Parksville, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Well, I have to apologize - I actually finished this book a couple of weeks ago, and accidentally put it back on the shelf instead of journalling sending it along! I enjoyed the story - particularly the feel I got from descriptions of the Isle of Wight. I've PM-ed Mallary and will send it along tout-de-suite.

Journal Entry 16 by Stuff-Nonsense from Parksville, British Columbia Canada on Monday, April 30, 2007
Sent to Mallary today - hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Monday, June 11, 2007
This arrived on Saturday (thanks Stuff-Nonsense) but I was in bed with bronchitis so I couldn't register it. Didn't stop me reading it though! What a wonderful story, I read it almost in one sitting.
Having lived within sight of the Isle of Wight for many years I found myself wondering why I never visited it. The beautiful, evocative descriptions of the island, especially the shoreline, reminded me of my childhood in the south of England and also boat trips we took around the island.
I thought I had the story all figured out within the first few chapters, how wrong I was! Wendy K Harris is a master storyteller, managing to weave in the most shocking concepts whilst keeping the whole thing utterly believable.

As soon as I am better I will mail this to LindyLouMac, who seems to share the same excellent taste in books with me!

Journal Entry 18 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Monday, June 25, 2007
This is at last on it's way to LindyLouMac.
Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 19 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, July 09, 2007
Oh goody another Transita and reading the previous reviews here, looks like it will be another enjoyable read. This arrived on Saturday with thanks once again to Mallary and Lyzzybee. Once I have finished the book I am reading this is next.

Journal Entry 20 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, July 14, 2007

One of the best reads from Transita so far! I recently discovered this excellent publisher and am working my way through their small catalogue of books.

Jane is approaching fifty and is an author but presently suffering from lack of inspiration for her latest novel. The arrival of a solicitor’s letter opens up a new and unexpected dimension to her life.

It is a great story, shocking in places but still somehow believable. There are some interesting twists to the plot which kept me riveted. The first few chapters were deceptive as it takes awhile for the connections to emerge fully enough for the story to start to make sense. This made me think it was going to be rather slow but far from it! The characters are all vividly described and you really feel that you know them personally by the end of the book. In fact I think they will remain with for sometime as I continue to muse over the story, always the sign of a good read! The spiritual strength that runs through the story also adds to the intense feelings portrayed.
A beautiful setting the Isle of Wight which the author brings to life with her descriptive prose. Particularly Wraith Cottage and its surroundings, one can almost smell the flowers and the sea!

I even loved the ending which is often the part of a novel that disappoints me in one way or another.
What more can I say, except that I can’t wait to get hold of a copy of Wendy K Harris’s recently published second novel ‘Blue Slipper Bay’

Released 11 yrs ago (7/16/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I have an address for WelshHelen(Yes the new one)so this is en route to the Uk now.

Journal Entry 22 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, July 26, 2007
Arrived last week - sorry that it's taken me so long to journal it. Thanks, LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 23 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, September 30, 2007
Another winner from the Transita stable - an engrossing story about the sea, family, friends and secrets. I'd guessed some, but not all, of the relationships early on but it certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book. I liked so many of the characters but especially Chas who was portraied as so supportive of Jane and a kind and gentle soul. Like so many others, this is a book that will stay with me for a long time.

Thank you so much to LyzzyBee for sharing once again and many apologies that I've had the book for so long. I've got LindyB28's address so will get it in the post to her asap.

Journal Entry 24 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 02, 2007
Posted to LindyB28 yesterday.

Journal Entry 25 by LindyB28 from Acocks Green, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 09, 2007
I enjoyed this book and the unfolding of the inevitable truth about Jane/Virginia's origins. The evocation of Isle of Wight landscape is lovely.
My main caveat was the portrayal of Marguerite. I was uneasy about the way that her (dis)abilities are depicted and the way that she is cast into a Cassandra-type role by virtue of her inability to communicate in a conventional way. The synaesthetic elements didn't quite ring true to me, and one sentence that literally made me laugh out loud was when Jane tries to discover how Marguerite has been sheltered from conventional medicine all her life and Emm replies 'We've always treated her with herbal and homeopathic remedies. She's very healthy.' It was a definite sublime to the ridiculous moment - if you are dealing with the wondrous in a narrative, trying to explain it in terms of the world seems somehow to defeat the point of it all.
However, Wendy K. Harris very successfully interweaves her two narratives of past and present and unites them into a very satisfying conclusion.

I've got Birmingham Rose's address so I'll pop the book in the post to her once the postal strike is over.

Journal Entry 26 by birmingham-rose from Burntwood, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Received this morning - thank you. I am a bit swamped with rings and rays at the moment and so am reading them in order of arrival. This will be book number 4. I will be as quick as I can

Journal Entry 27 by birmingham-rose from Burntwood, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 11, 2007
I found this to be an easy to read book. It was full of lovely descriptions and great characters. Thanks for including me on this ring, I will be PM'ing Lellie for an address now.

Journal Entry 28 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, November 17, 2007
Waiting for me when I got home from work on my lunch break. Trouble is I want to stay at home and read now and I've got to get back to work :(

Thanks everyone, will read and move on an a timely fashion

Journal Entry 29 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 04, 2007
I finished this at the weekend.
For the most part I found this an enjoyable and page turning read, like LyzzyBee I picked up some of the plot twists, but not all. Difficult to add more without adding spoilers.
However I had a big problem with Marguerite. I found it utterly impossible to engage with this character, she was completely unreal and a lot of the magical stuff surrounding her was just plain daft.

I loved all the descriptions of the area around Wraith Cottage and the lives that Emm and Lilly led and the story was a very good one. I think Marguerite should have been made more 'real' or failing this left out altogether.

I sometimes feel that these Transita novels have a streak of self-indulgence. I had the same problem with A Lifetime Burning, although I really disliked that one, and on the whole I really liked this.

I'll be contacting next in line today and hopefully this will be in the post this week.
Thanks everyone

Journal Entry 30 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, December 07, 2007
Posted to Nw Zealand this morning 7th December 2007

Journal Entry 31 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, December 20, 2007
Arrived in the last couple of days and collected by me today 21 Dec. We no longer live neat the Post Office whose box number I've been using so can't be exact but it seemed quite quick since it is amid the Christmas mail. Once Christmas is over I will get that changed.

I've been reading the journal entries with pleasure although once I got to a couple that looked as if they might spoil some of the characters I stopped doing that. I usually don't read the JEs until after I've read a book as sometimes that influences my feeling about the book. Fortunately all the initial entries gave me really good feelings and the attractions of the book that tempted me to join this ray are still there. Thanks LyzzyBee for writing about it in such ain intriguing way. I'm looking forward to it very much. Not much on hand calling for attention so I should be able to read it soon.

LyzzyBee are there any other rings I should be looking to have my name added to? The Transita book are certainly highly valued by readers. I've read two of Linda's and hugely enjoyed one but not so much the other, possibly because of proximity to personal situations.

Journal Entry 32 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
Such an enjoyable book. I've browsed through it again as I come to write this entry and then release it on its way to Sally906 in the hot northern part of Oz.

This is a book I'd like to have around to read again and re-read. There was so much in it. Many JE writers have expressed thoughts akin to mine so I won't repear them here. It is important to say that I'm delighted to have had the chance to read this. There is no doubt that Transita does a wonderful job in finding books that appeal to - dare I say it?- older readers. The depth and strength of characters beyond the first flush and enthusiasm of youth is appealing - these characters don't think they know it all, nor that the world owes them a living.
I've just had a text message from a 16 yr old grandson currently visiting Auckland with his family and keeping me informed about their trip. "Nothing exciting today. We visited the Oldies. BORING!" The oldies he referred to would be like characters in Transita Books. What stories these 'boring oldies' would have if only he was willing to listen.
Thanks for starting this ring LyzzyBee. More please.

Journal Entry 33 by Sherlockfan at via post in Via Post, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (1/2/2008 UTC) at via post in Via Post, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Travel safely over the sea please book then up through the vast Australian continent safe into the hands of sally906

Journal Entry 34 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Picked up from the Post office today - in the middle of a torrential rainstorm with wind whipping it even harder.

Fondly reminded me of my trip to Wellington :)

loved the card - must return one day to see a sunny Wellington harbour :)

Journal Entry 35 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, March 07, 2008
Took me a long time to get into this book - had almost got to the 50 pages limit that I give when "Woosh" it hooked me in.

Jane is happily married to Chas - but childless. Just before her fiftieth birthday and aunt she never knew existed, Lillian, leaves her an inheritance - a cottage on a cliff on Isle of Wight. Her father refuses to talk about Lillian, and the lawyer advises her just to sell the cottage, but Jane decides on a whim to head off and find the place.

What she finds, the journey of discovery and the revelations of family skeletons, changes Jane for ever.

The story shifts between narrators, both dead and alive, and also shifts between past and present. There are twists and turns and is well worth the read.

Have PMd Makita21 to send it on

Journal Entry 36 by sally906 from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Friday, March 07, 2008
Update - Makita21 asked to be skipped as she is in the process of moving so have PMd GateGypsy for her snailmail

Journal Entry 37 by sally906 at Surface Mail in Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 04, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (4/4/2008 UTC) at Surface Mail in Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to GateGypsy - seamail

Journal Entry 38 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 10, 2008
this arrived while I was on Vacation, but I was very happy to find it when I made it home!

Journal Entry 39 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 04, 2009
Just to let everyone know that I have a new bookring for the sequel to this book, Rocken Edge, being set up - if you'd like to join, email or PM me stating location and shipping preferences.