Postmortem: AND All That Remains

by Patricia Cornwell | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Falzbein of Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 8/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Falzbein from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, August 22, 2006
I started reading Kay-Scarpetta-novels later in the series, when it all was rather complicated. This is the first book of the series and the third. Postmortem, the first is just wonderful and I did like it better than the more recent books. All that remains, the third, is dragging on, pages and pages where nothing ever happens....

Journal Entry 2 by Rabe-de from Leverkusen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, August 25, 2006
Brought this book from the "Jette & Corte"-Meetup. Might need some time reading as it is rather thick.

Journal Entry 3 by Rabe-de from Leverkusen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, June 28, 2007
It's kind of funny to read that the murderer must be a person who has access to a computer at work or even has one at home. The book isn't that old. ;-)
Also the repeated search for a payphone made me think how quick mobile phones made their way in our daily lifes.

Released 13 yrs ago (7/10/2007 UTC) at Ehrenfeld - Goldmund (Literaturcafé) in Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Ein Meetup hat's gegeben, ein Meetup soll's nehmen. ;-)

Journal Entry 5 by Raffizack from Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, July 15, 2007
Caught at collognes July Meet Up.

Journal Entry 6 by Sao-Diego12548 at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, November 10, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (11/10/2008 UTC) at Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany

Came to the meet-up today and found a new home :)

Journal Entry 7 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Thursday, November 13, 2008
Picked up at Monday's Meet-up. On Tuesday, I had to look after my sick sister-in-law and yesterday I was sick, so I only get around to journalling today. This looks like a nice fat book to read the next time I feel out of reading material. :)
I very much hope at least one of the stories is better than Blowfly. Oh, I just see it's the first in the series, so this looks promising...

Journal Entry 8 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Sunday, January 25, 2009
Very exciting, the first story was a thriller exactly to my tastes (8 points for that one). I found it particularly tragic that at least part of the killing could have been prevented if things had gone differently.
However, I had difficulty wrapping my head around the second one as I'm just not particularly interested in that military stuff, and I also was a bit confused by the time gap between the stories. (Interestingly enough, although I don't remember a lot about Blowfly I kept trying to work out the future developments by comparing what little I could recognize.)
Not surprisingly, despite being rather busy, I read each of the stories within two days and stayed up late to finish them.

I found the first title (Postmortem) rather cheap for a story dealing with forensic examination but it is the first in the series, so I guess it makes sense. All That Remains is a bit more in keeping with the theme of the story. The difference in both stories's quality from that of Blowfly can only be measured in light years, or the equivalent thereof.

Spoilers follow, highlight to make them visible:
Now I've read three books surrounding Kay Scarpetta and in all three of them the killer in the end meets death. Justifiably so, but still... Is this just a bad sample or an indication of Cornwell's view on the American judiciary?
The twist at the end of the second book (wrong DNA) came too late to have any impact on me as a reader. I mean by that time the killer was already dead! The solution was really neat (and one I'd coincidentally had a recent conversation about) but I really would have liked one or two chapters in between for the characters to wonder whether they got the wrong person.

The books not being up-to-date didn't bother me at all. I did think it was funny how they were so suspicious of DNA comparison (I think they still are, a bit) and how computers seemed to be a mystery to most of the characters involved. Conversely, I didn't even notice the payphones until I read Rabe-de's comments but that's probably because I don't own a mobile myself.

I don't know yet what I'll do with this book. I might wild release it but it seems a bit of a waste for the first story. Maybe I'll read it again before doing so, or I'll find another way to pass it on.

Journal Entry 9 by erinacea at on Saturday, March 28, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at

I took it along to yesterday's meet-up (as I'd planned for the one before that, where I forgot to take any books with me) and it seems it's been snatched up by someone to read. :)

Journal Entry 10 by Martinika from Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz, Bayern Germany on Monday, April 06, 2009
beim inoffiziellen Meet-Up am 27.3.09 in Köpenick mitgenommen