The Sweet Hereafter

by Russell Banks | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by beautyredefined of Washington, District of Columbia USA on 8/20/2006
Journal Entry 1 by beautyredefined from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Sunday, August 20, 2006
This was recommended to me by a friend, and so I decided to order it and move it to the top of my TBR pile. It's an interesting story about the tragedy of an entire town. When a school bus gets into an accident, is there someone to blame - and how can the town regroup and survive? Told in a somewhat unique way, through the eyes and minds of four different narrators, the story still manages to follow a primarily chronological order, with the different narrations overlapping in time only briefly. First, we hear the story of the bus driver herself - her normal routine, the route as usual and the details of the day up to the accident. Next we hear from a father who lost his two children, the lawyer looking to blame the city or the state - wherever negligence and money can be found, and then one of the crippled survivors of the accident itself. Finally, half a year or so later, we return to the bus driver to learn if redemption can be found and blame forgotten. Throughout the book, we learn the motivations and histories of each of the main characters, and in the various tales, we see the relations between each of them as well. A tragic story, especially when people ask what the book is about, but well worth the short amount of time needed to read it.

Journal Entry 2 by beautyredefined at Espresso Royale on State in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA on Monday, August 21, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (8/21/2006 UTC) at Espresso Royale on State in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

I left this on the table with the sugar/covers around 8:30 pm.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, January 06, 2007
My girlfriend found this book, read it, and gave it to me. I am plowing through it and will give it back to her shortly. She is incredibly beautiful. The book is incredibly compelling.

CAUGHT IN SAN FRANCISCO CA USA