Unprintable (A booklover's mystery)

by Julie Karwert | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by AnglersRest of Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on 8/14/2006
Journal Entry 1 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, August 14, 2006
From Publishers Weekly

When Alex Plumtree is asked in confidence by the prime minister to publish a limited edition of Cleansing, a controversial novel by Lord Chenies, "one of the nation's most luminous literary lights," the staff and associates of Plumtree Press become instant targets for the media and those who don't want the book published. Alex is shocked to find the first chapter "ultra right wing in the most odious way, appearing to condone violence on England's downtrodden," but for the moment his mind is elsewhereAback home, Alex is caught up in a historical preservation battle over hedgerows, and his fianc?e in Switzerland doesn't answer his calls. Meanwhile, the publishing process is sabotaged at every stage, and Amanda Morison, his printer, is in grave danger. And then Lord Chenies is found dead. In this third Booklover's Mystery (Unsolicited, Unbound), Kaewert once again subjects the traditional English values of Alex and friends to quite a battering at the hands of outside forces as she pits the power of politics and money against the collective strength of committed individuals. As in previous outings, the true pleasure is less the mystery than Kaewert's portrayal of her beleaguered bibliophiles and her lovingly detailed description of their world.

Journal Entry 2 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, November 3, 2006
In the third book of the series there is more death,corruption and friendship. There is also the rather tenuous romance with Sarah, his dead pals wife.....it all happens at Plumtree Press! Is Alex doomed?

Journal Entry 3 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 7, 2006
Offered as a book Spiral

Participants: (order change subject to change due to georgraphy)

EUROPE -
menalima

UK -
Mytilus
akg
Scotsbookie (surface mail OK)
WelshHelen (Int OK)
platypussj
Cross-patch (surface mail OK)

AUSTRALIA -
amberC
DrCris (Int OK)

USA -
blackadder75 (USA & Canada OK)
clawdette
NMReader
babsdotter
Rrrcaron
.....back to AnglersRest

NOW CLOSED

Spiral Rules (Adapted from psychjo & Kleptokitty)

1) Everybody should leave a journal entry when receiving the book and after the read! Please let us all know what you think about it...
2)Please keep the status of the spiral upto date at the Forum
3) Also PM the next person on the list for a mailing address and when that person doesn't answer
within 7 days MAX! please PM the one after...
4) Everybody should also try to read the book soon (max - approx one month)
5) You can send the book via surface mail or airmail - that is completely up to you.
6) If you find you don't have the time to read it when it's your turn please PM and I'll move you to a later slot.

Journal Entry 4 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 30, 2007
In the post to menalima. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 5 by menalima on Sunday, February 4, 2007
Received book, have one nearly finished an then another so this one will be next:)
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 6 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, February 10, 2007
In the post to Portugal, sometime this week. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by menalima on Tuesday, February 27, 2007
Loved the book, like the ones before it:)Going to see if mytilus can read it next:)

Journal Entry 8 by Mytilus from Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 4, 2007
Arrived yesterday. Looks as if this Easter weekend is going to be dominated by Alex Plumtree!

Journal Entry 9 by Mytilus from Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 10, 2007
I was getting concerned, in Unbound, that Alex’s propensity for being hit on the head was addling his brains, so it was nice to see, in Unprintable, that he was behaving in a slightly more rational manner. Until the end, of course, where I found myself muttering “Don’t do it! Don’t do it!”. Of course, he did it, and once again won through by the skin of his teeth.

It took me a while to work out why the Anglo-centric dialogue was annoying me so much. I think the author is American (I’ve had a Google but can’t decide one way or the other) which might explain this clumsiness. Alex’s devotion to his love interest is also becoming so unrealistically ardent as to appear comical!

Still, all in all, I do enjoy this series of books.

Journal Entry 10 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 14, 2007
This and untitled arrived on Thursday. I have already finished this book so I will post them on separately.

I enjoy reading these books because they are so easy to read and while a way time (is that how spell while in that sense of the word?), however I don't think they are most realistic mysteries I've read. If Alex Plumtree really cared about his friends and family, surely he would have given up the publishing business and gone back to sailing by now; it must involve fewer death threats and knocks to his head. However I do love all the intrigue and secret networks that exist that mere mortals like us are not aware, how many things should Alex's father have been secretly involved with, how many important persons are indebted to him and how many more neighbours will be entwined in a plot associated with a book Alex is printing?

I have to admit that at one point I had to check when the book was published. Despite being published in 1998 it is still topical "Britain had ... endured something of a water crisis over the last couple of years. ... There was no ignoring the massive profits of London Water and its sister companies"

Journal Entry 11 by Mytilus from Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, April 16, 2007
"Mytilus: The about the author says she went to university in USA (Dartmouth and Harvard) and worked at publishers in Boston and Bedford Square before writing for a London magazine. She currently lives in USA, but it does not say where she was born."

Yeah, I read that too, which is why I'm not sure about her nationality. I presume she's American?

Journal Entry 12 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 26, 2007
Hmm not having much luck sending this on to scotsbookie. I tried to get to the post office every day last week but it didn't happem except on Friday when it was already shut. I finally made it to an open post office on Monday and I found the parcel waiting on my doorstep this evening! Not sure how they could have misunderstood where to send it because my address was crossed, but oh well I'll try again tomorrow. Sorry for the additional delay to the ring.

Journal Entry 13 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2007
Mr Postie got it right this time, this arrived safely with me today, thank you akg. #2 on Mount Toobie

Journal Entry 14 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 17, 2007
Another enjoyable adventure with Alex et al. What more can happen to Alex? Will he & Sarah marry? Looking forward to reading more.

Will PM WelshHelen & see when she wants me to send it her way.

Journal Entry 15 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 28, 2007
Popped in the post to WelshHelen, who really lives in Wales now! Sorry for the delay & happy reading!

Journal Entry 16 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, June 1, 2007
Arrived on Wednesday. Thanks Scotsbookie and thank you for the card, too :-)

Journal Entry 17 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 30, 2007
I was about to give up on this series after the last book because I got so irritated with Alex and his antics (and stupidity!) but I'm glad to say that I enjoyed this one much more. There were still times when I wanted to shake him but found him much less annoying this time round. He does seem to rush off at a moment's notice to save his friends, though, sometimes for no thanks! Like Mytilus I find the rmance side getting quite tiresome and Mills and Boon-ish, which is a shame as I like the character of Sarah.

Here's hoping that the next book in the series is better still than this one :-) I've PMd platypussj for her address and will get the book in the post to her asap. Thanks again for sharing, AnglersRest.

Journal Entry 18 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Posted to platypussj Monday 16th. Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 19 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2007
It's here, thank you WelshHelen. Unfortunately the first two are as well - I have yet to post the first one and am just about to start reading the second - doh!! Will have Unsolicited off to caffy by the weekend, I promise. (I thought I was going to be so organised with this - pah!!)

Journal Entry 20 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Enjoyed this book even more than I did the others - there seems to be a lot less unnecessary exposition - either that, or I'm getting used to it! The atmosphere and plot kept me turning the pages and I've already started the next one (which arrived at the end of last week).

Journal Entry 21 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, November 9, 2008
Sending to Crosspatch on Tues.

Journal Entry 22 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 22, 2008
Thank you. What a surprise! I had forgotten all about this series. I shall try to read soon, but there's a lot going on before Christmas - and I'm doing my jury duty soon!!

Journal Entry 23 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Alex Plumtree has improved quite a lot in my estimation. This was a very interesting plot and I'm looking forward to finding out more about the printing/publishing trade. I'll send this and the next volume on when I have finished it.

Journal Entry 24 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Arrived safely in Melbourne. There is a bit of bookring backlog here, so it make take a while to process.

Journal Entry 25 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Alex really needs to get over the big clues and forecasting. It seems like a really bad mystery movie. However, I do find I speed through these books, so they are paced really well.

I will start to lose interest if they uncover yet another secret organisation in the next one. Furthermore, I would like to see Sarah and Alex actually develop a relationship. She still is a bit of a token character, and this was a bit of a let-down after they had a few deep conversations in the previous book. In fact, the first novel was her best showing, so she may simply disappear in the next one.

I agree with the others that this is better than the previous ones. He still makes some awful inconsistent decisions, though.

I have the next book on my pile, so I will hold on to this one and post them together.

Journal Entry 26 by DrCris at on Thursday, March 26, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at

Sent on its way with Untitled today

Journal Entry 27 by clawdette from Houma, Louisiana USA on Friday, April 3, 2009
received 4/2/09, will journal when read

Journal Entry 28 by clawdette from Houma, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, June 16, 2009
releasing today to NMReader..sorry for keeping it so long..moved..now on its way

Journal Entry 29 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, July 25, 2009
I am positive I jounraled these when they arrived. They are on mount TBR and will be read as soon as I can get to them.

Journal Entry 30 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, September 28, 2009
I thought a status update might be appreciated. I have three books I am presently reading and then I should start this one. I am sorry for the delay. I had the trifecta of rings/rays - they all came at once, work has been busy, and personal life hasn't offered as much reading time as normal.

Sorry for the delay - think I should be able to start this weekend (10/3/09)

Journal Entry 31 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 18, 2009
I thought an update on the status of this book might be appreciated.

First an apology. I am truly sorry I have had the book so long. I hope to start the book this week. It will not take me long to read and then I will get it moving to the next person.

October 25:
I started the book this morning. I am traveling today and tomorrow and will not get as much read as when I am at home but will try to get through this book and Untitled and get them mailed out as soon as I can.

October 29:
I am on page 200. I have a busy day today but hope to devote a large portion of my free time to finishing this book tomorrow.

Journal Entry 32 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, November 1, 2009
I enjoyed this book but agree that it seems like Alex's father is owed by everyone. Also, Alex's father seems to be involved in many secret organizations.

I enjoyed the story and will read Untitled as quuickly as possible and pass on both to babsdotter as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 33 by NMReader at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (11/12/2009 UTC) at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

this book will be traveling with book 4 to the next reader

delivery confirmation number: 0309 1130 0001 5518 2509

Journal Entry 34 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Friday, November 20, 2009
arrived today with book 2. Thank you. The first one was fun...I'm sure these next two will be too.