Big Stone Gap

by Adriana Trigiani | Women's Fiction |
Registered by laura0141 of Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on 8/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 10, 2006
The Back of the Book

'The most useful book I ever read taught me how to read faces, an ancient Chinese art. Even dimples have meaning. I have them and according to face-reading, something wonderful is supposed to happen to me when I turn thirty-five. It's been four months since my birthday, and I'm still waiting ...'

Big Stone Gap, Virginia, is the sort of sleepy hamlet where kids get married at eighteen, and stay forever. So thirty-five-year old Ave Maria Mulligan is something of an addity. A self proclaimed spinster, as the local pharmacist she's been keeping the townsfolk's secrets for years.

Now Ave Maria is about to discover a scandal in her own family's past that will blow the lid right off her quiet, uneventful life. Soon she's juggling two unexpected marriage proposals and conduscting a non-holds-barred family feud.

With an unforgettable cast of characters and a heroine with an extraordinary story to tell, Big Stone Gap is a wonderfully vibrant, unashamedly feel-good debut.

Offered as BookRing.

Journal Entry 2 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 10, 2006
BookRing:

CynthiaA - Can - Intl
BOKWORMY - Portugal - Intl
LindyLouMac - Italy - EU
laura0141 - UK - ENDS

Journal Entry 3 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 19, 2006
PMed CynthiaA for addy

Journal Entry 4 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 05, 2006
On way to cynthiaa

Journal Entry 5 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Thursday, October 26, 2006
Arrived safe and sound, thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 17, 2006
What a sweet and fun book to read. How can you not fall in love with all of these characters? I felt like I was among friends, reading this novel. The story isn't too heavy, the challenges faced by the characters often come from within their own personalities, the ending is feel-good perfect. A gem, for sure. I will definately search out other books by this author.

I have Bokwormy's address and will be shipping to her either later today or tomorrow.

Journal Entry 7 by BOKWORMY on Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Thanks CynthiaA for posting it over, and thank-YOU laura0141 for sharing it with me!

I´ve got a few bookrings ahead of this one, but I promise to be quick. It looks like a great read, can´t wait to read it!

X

Sorry, I´ve just realized how long I´ve had this book with me, yuppps!

Beautifully written! Loved the story, the characters, a nice cosy read.

11/02 - Pmed LindyLouMac in Italy for postal address!

Journal Entry 8 by BOKWORMY at on Monday, February 12, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (2/12/2007 UTC) at

On the way to LindyLouMac in Italy !

X

Journal Entry 9 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, February 16, 2007
Thanks Bokwormy this title arrived today. I will start reading this evening as with perfect timing I finished a book this afternoon. It will then be travelling home, thanks Laura0141 for including me on the list. I am rather surprised that there were not more people interested though!

Journal Entry 10 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, February 18, 2007
Amazon.co.uk Review
In the town of Big Stone Gap, Virginia, not much happens. The highlight of 35-year-old Ave Maria Mulligan's week comes on Friday, with the arrival of the Bookmobile, the sight of which sends her into raptures. Adriana Trigiani's first novel concerns the family scandals that befall Ave Maria in this seemingly uneventful town. Greed, lust, envy--all the ancient emotional elements--manifest themselves even in this hamlet of "ordinary folk". The writing is often awkward, but so too are the characters who inhabit this place: the Bookmobile lady who thinks of herself as the sexiest woman alive.

I have taken the liberty of reproducing part of the amazon.co.uk review fo this title. As the first line of the review states 'Not much happens in Big Stone Gap, Virginia' I am sorry although this was a quick and easy read I actually found the first half rather boring. It did improve somewhat as it went on, the most interesting parts for me being the Italian connections. It did not leave me wanting to read the sequels, that I know have been written since either. I do appear to be in the minority with my opinions though, so maybe I just happened to read this at the wrong time to fully appreciate it.

It will be heading homeward as soon as I next go to the post office.

Released 13 yrs ago (2/23/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way home to Laura0141
Thankyou once again for organising this successful Bookring.

Journal Entry 12 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 26, 2007
Received with thanks.

Journal Entry 13 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 01, 2007
I started this book this morning and haven't been sucked in so I will let it go. The proviso is that, as I'm on holiday, if I run out of things to read I may well pick it up again!

Offered as BookRing.

Journal Entry 14 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 01, 2007
BookRing:

BettyBoekwurm - Portugal - Eur
Tregossip - UK - Eur
brunton11 - UK - Eur
laura0141 - UK - ENDS

Journal Entry 15 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, February 17, 2008
PMed BettyBoekwurm for addy.

Journal Entry 16 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 18, 2008
On way to BettyBoekwurm