Skeleton Key

by Anthony Horowitz | Children's Books |
Registered by minx2012 on 8/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by minx2012 on Thursday, August 10, 2006
The back blurb:
"Sharks. Assassins. Nuclear bombs. Alex Rider's in deep water. Again.
"Reluctant teenage superspy Alex Rider faces his most dangerous challenge yet. On a private island near Cuba, the insane Russian General Sarov is hatching explosive plans to rewrite history. Alone, and equipped only with a handful of ingenious gadgets, Alex must outwit him, as the seconds tick away towards the end of the world..."

I began this at the start of my break on Tuesday morning. By the time I went back up to the office an hour later I was 130 pages in. That's how riveting this is.
About halfway through, I found myself thinking it wasn't quite as good as the last two - I think because of the involvement of the CIA and their attitude to Alex. Okay, so Alex doesn't want to be a spy, and he's more than a little resentful of Mr Blunt and his cronies, but he's proven himself more than capable - and then these two arrogant American agents come along and try talking down to him at every possible opportunity. Their contact, Garcia, sums it up best when he tells Alex, "They think they are good at what they do. ANd then they find a child who is better. And not only that. He is an English child."
Otherwise, it's as gripping as the previous Alex Rider adventures.
Having just seen the movie version of Stormbreaker - nowhere near as good as the novel - I found the introduction of of Sabina Pleasure (say her name quickly) quite interesting. Will her character develop in parallel, two books ahead of time, in the film's sequels?
One of my favourite parts was the inclusion of a stun grenade disguised as a three-inch-high (life size!) Michael Owen keyring. I found it amusing that after Alex's comment that he's never really followed Liverpool FC, the way to arm the little fella was to twist his head round several times.

Thank divinities I'm going up to Cumbria for a few days next week; I can get the next in the series, Eagle Strike, out of the library while I'm there.

Journal Entry 2 by minx2012 at BBC Cumbria Bus in Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Monday, October 23, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (10/23/2006 UTC) at BBC Cumbria Bus in Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom

given to the sportsphysio for release by minx2012