Past Redemption: The Darkwing Chronicles, Book Two

by Savannah Russe | Romance |
Registered by NeedSun of Perth Road, Ontario Canada on 8/9/2006
Journal Entry 1 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Book Description:
There's a lethal new recreational drug out on the party circuit. To stop its spread, Team Darkwing must immerse themselves in New York City's nightlife, where they discover ties between the drug's revenue and the country's most powerful dynasty. To infiltrate the family, Daphne flirts with its weakest link, a party boy whom she'd love to sink her teeth into. But even as their dalliance leads her deeper into the case, Daphne can't stop thinking about Darius, the darkly sexy human she claimed with a passionate bite. He's the bad boy she knows she must forget-if she doesn't, she'll be risking not only the mission but her own heart.

Journal Entry 2 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 10, 2006
Bookring participants:

Cheriepie-->Usa/international
Rianonne-->Austria /prefer shipping within Europe
Morgaine77-->Switzerland /prefer shipping within Europe
CandyDarling-->Finland/Int
catsalive-->Australia / Australia

Journal Entry 3 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 21, 2006
I think this one was just as good as the first one, if not better. This idea is great..Vamps as spys.

I have a box of books to send to Cherie so this one will be part of that and the first leg of it's journey.

Edit Sept 6: Sent today by surface mail to Cherie

Journal Entry 4 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Oooh I'm really looking forward to this second in the series. I've got a few reads ahead of it, but it's been put near the top of my queue so it'll move along quickly. Thanks Jo dahlin'! *sm0000ches*

Journal Entry 5 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Thursday, October 19, 2006
This was another great read which I liked just as much, if not more than, Beyond the Pale, the first in the series.

Team Darkwing is starting to become a tightly-knit and efficient group that works well together. And their latest assignment is to track down the individuals responsible for the emergence of the latest party drug called susto, which is causing deaths up and down the club scene. This is not the only thing going on though. There's also Darius, Daphne's ex whom she converted at the end of the last book in order to save his life. But he's quite resentful about it, previously being a vampire hunter and all, and now she's put through the ringer on the relationship front as well. The dynamics between Daphne and Darius only add to the rest of the story, and the mission Team Darkwing is sent out to solve.

I'm anxiously looking forward to book 3 of The Darkwing Chronicles. Too bad it's not coming out until February 2007.

This will be sent off to Rianonne shortly and I'll update this journal entry once I've send it out.

UPDATE 01-Nov-2006: Mailed to Rianonne on Thursday, 2-Nov-2006 via Int'l Air Mail.

Journal Entry 6 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Arrived yesterday together with a parcel from amazone :)
It will have to rest on my Mt.TBR of BookRing-books ... but not for too long I guess ... :p

Journal Entry 7 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Wednesday, December 06, 2006
What a nice surprise - the sequel being better than the first book in the series.
I liked that the group of Vampires is forming a tightly-knit and efficient group and especially the turns give the story it's speed towards the end. The troubled relationship between Darius and Daphne is understandable but takes too much room for my liking.
Well, there is a new road opening up and I'm looking expectantly forward to book #3 :)

It is reserved for the next BookRing parcel heading to Switzerland!

Journal Entry 8 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Arrived safely in Switzerland. Thanks! :-) Funny, I just started to read Book One the other day; "Beyond The Pale".
However, I still got tons of bookrings to read - please be patient with me!

Journal Entry 9 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Saturday, June 16, 2007
A very enjoyable read. I completely can relate to Daphne's trouble with men and Darius in particular... Seems like vampires are only humans, too! ;-)
Loved the action, but was a bit disappointed in the drug-plot. The solution there left me a bit unsatisfied. What was the deal with susto? Where did it come from? Who's Don Manuel, what's his part in the story and what's the deal with Jade?
I very much like the bits and pieces of history woven into the story. Very nice touch! Also, for us non-americans, the appendix at the end was very helpful.

Thanks so much for sharing and for the patience y'all having with me! The book is already packed up and ready to travel on to CandyDarling on Monday.

On its way to Finland...

Journal Entry 11 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, June 27, 2007
This arrived in the mail yesterday, thank you!

Journal Entry 12 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 06, 2008
I loved the sequel to Beyond the Pale. We got to know Daphne's history with Lord Byron a bit better, which I thought was very interesting. But like Morgaine77, I thought there were several things, like the drug plot, that were a bit unsatisfactory. But overall, a very good read. I loved the poems, and the effort the author put into this book. I'm definitely eager to read the rest of the books in this series.

Here's a list of the books in this series:
1. Beyond the Pale
2. Past Redemption
3. Beneath the Skin
4. In the Blood
5. Under Darkness
From Savannah Russe's homepage I gathered there will be 6 books in the series.

I've pm'd catsalive for her address.

Journal Entry 13 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, February 28, 2008
Sent the book to catsalive today. Sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 14 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Here it is. Thanks CandyDarling.

Journal Entry 15 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 20, 2008
I can't remember much from the first book except that I enjoyed it. I don't think this one was quite as good but it was still entertaining. It would be nice if Darius was left out of the 3rd book, he's a bit of a bastard with his 'I don't like anything about you but I still want to have sex' attitude. I agree with Rianonne that it takes up too much room & detracts from the rest of the story.

Thanks for including me NeedSun. Does this return to you now?

Journal Entry 16 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, April 03, 2008
Posted surface mail today.

Journal Entry 17 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 24, 2008
Returned home safe and sound. Thank you everyone for a very successful bookring.

I think I will be passing this on to my friend WatersideKatt

Edit Oct 22: Put on bookmooch

Journal Entry 18 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 25, 2009
sent to Pamsta (USA: MA)