How to be Good

by Nick Hornby | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by seeinstarrz of Moline, Illinois USA on 12/31/2002
Journal Entry 1 by seeinstarrz from Moline, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 31, 2002
"....Enters the heart, mind and soul of a woman who, confronted by her husband's sudden and extreme spiritual conversion, is forced to learn 'how to be good' - for better or worse..."

I read two books right in a row that dealt with failing marriages and complicated circumstances and I found myself mixing characters up...but this was purely my own fault. I had a hard time putting this book down. I disliked almost every single character in the story, not because they were written in poorly but because the author WANTS you to dislike them - they all had such dimension (albeit unpleasant dimension) that I couldn't wait to figure out who, ultimately, was to be considered "good". The ending seemed a little abrupt for the way the rest of the story had played out though...

2/10/03 - Will be passing on to "stardustnf". Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by stardustnf from St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Tuesday, February 25, 2003
Received this one in the mail from seeinstarzz....thanks!! Can't wait to read it.

Released on Friday, April 25, 2003 at Home of sweetnessnf in Old Perlican, Newfoundland Canada.

Released this to another bookcrosser (sweetnessnf) this afternoon. Enjoy it, sis!!

Journal Entry 4 by Sweetnessnf from Old Perlican, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Friday, April 25, 2003
Just got this book from stardustnf and I've already started to read it. So far, so good! Thanks sis!

Journal Entry 5 by Sweetnessnf from Old Perlican, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Wednesday, June 11, 2003
I adored this book, it was great. I'm going to send it off on a bookray because I've had many requests for it and this way everyone gets a chance to read it. Keep checking back for the mailing list.

Journal Entry 6 by Sweetnessnf from Old Perlican, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Tuesday, July 08, 2003
This is the tentative list for the bookray... it's still open until Frday, July 11th, so if interested, PM me!

1.Marinaw, USA
2.pikapolonica, Sweden
3.xanapeq, Portugal
4.BlossomU, Portugal
5.ESofista, Portugal

Released on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at In the mail to fellow bookcrosser! in Old Perlican, Newfoundland Canada.

This book is now off on it's ray... the mailing list is on the previous journal entry.

Journal Entry 8 by marinaw from Dripping Springs, Texas USA on Sunday, July 27, 2003
Received in the mail sometime this week (haven't checked the old mailbox in a while).

I'll need to figure out how I'm going to get this book overseas, as I don't normally spend that much on postage for any one book (as it states in my profile).

Maybe the person who started the ring can help me by finding another US bookcrosser who doesn't mind the expense?

I'm looking forward to reading it, and will add to the pile of rays that I owe (6 at last count).

Journal Entry 9 by marinaw from Dripping Springs, Texas USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003
This is another book that hooked me in somewhat via email. Now that I’ve finished it, I’m not altogether certain it was worth the time and effort.

The basic question the author seems to ask is: what are partners in a marriage to do when one of them evolves far beyond what’s expected? I don’t think he’s so much concerned about ethics toward the outside world as he is about promises made to life partners. Charity and love absolutely need to have their foundation in the home. To take an example from another book I’ve read recently: the Million Man March was useful as a statement only to those who weren’t neglecting their families by attending.

I think I pretty much have this lesson (working out my issues at home before I go fix the world) down; if the journey (the story) had been less irritating (I’ve seen the Good News character in real life too often to have any liking for it), I’d rate this book higher.

Will give it AimeeJo at the MeetUp this week, who will read it and ship it overseas.

Journal Entry 10 by marinaw at BookPeople, 5th and Lamar in Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at BookPeople, 5th and Lamar, behind Whole Foods in Austin, Texas USA.

Don't hunt for it! Am giving this to AimeeJo at the MeetUp to read and mail overseas, as I can't afford the postage.

Journal Entry 11 by AimeeJo70 from Austin, Texas USA on Friday, December 05, 2003
I finally finished this. I had a hard time getting involved in the story, as I found I really couldn't relate to any of the characters.

Hornby, however, does have a way with words. I found some passages very moving. I'll definitely give his other books a try.

I will be mailing this to pikapolonica as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 12 by AimeeJo70 from Austin, Texas USA on Wednesday, December 10, 2003
Mailed to pikapolonicatoday. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 13 by pikapolonica on Tuesday, December 16, 2003
Arrived to Stockholm in perfect timing, as I just finished two other bookrays and was wondering which book to choose to read next. :) I will try to finish it and send it on before Christmas.

Update (18th Dec): well, what to say about this book? It's definitely completely different from what I expected and the topic is something that I can't really relate to. The story is about what to do in a marriage if one person suddenly undergoes a spiritual conversion and wants to, well, be good. 100% of the time. Hornby's style of writing is catching enough and has enough tension for me to read the book through, but otherwise it's not something that I would reread again.

5th Jan: received address from xanapeq. The book will be on its way to Portugal later this week.

Journal Entry 14 by xanapeq from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 13, 2004
13-January 2004: Hi everyone, just to let you know I have received "How to be good". I'm looking forward to reading this one by Nick Hornby, I really enjoy his light yet extremely well-writen (and engaging) stories. I'll let you know how it went shortly.

Thanks pikapolonica for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 15 by xanapeq from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 11, 2004
I've just read the book and have to tell you that I believe Nick Hornby is one of the best "light" writers of his time. How does he come up with these stories and these characters!! (as "seeinstarrz" said, the characters are not entirely likable, but if one of them had been too perfect, I believe I wouldn't have gone through with the story...)
The story was funny at times, but also thought-provoking. It made me sad because I could relate to some of these "people", and it also made me reflect upon my own life. Uooh, not bad for a "light" book. I highly recommend it - except for the end. I was hoping for something different. The book is disturbing throughout, but it doesn't offer a totally fitting end. Nonetheless the final speech of the narrator is still ringing in my head. I sent it by email yesterday to BlossomU in Lisboa.

Journal Entry 16 by BlossomU on Wednesday, February 11, 2004
Book had just arrived, thanks! This is my first Hornby book, I am curious about it. I will start reading it soon ( in a day or two), will make a journal entry as soon as I finish it.

Journal Entry 17 by BlossomU on Thursday, February 12, 2004
I agree with xanapeq that the final part of the book is the most ressonant one, it is worth-thinking about. But just the same I did not think the book lived up to the blurbs on its cover "fearless" and "hilarious" or "darkly funny" and "more than a little surprising". It was an interesting enough read, but not all that! And I could not particularly relate to the main characters, and the author could not make me relate or care, so I was a bit stuck with all that introspection. But I would read more books by the same author.

Monday, 16th February - book shipped to esofista.

Journal Entry 18 by ESofista from Braga, Braga Portugal on Wednesday, February 18, 2004
I received the book yesterday. I will read it...
thanks BlossumU

Journal Entry 19 by magadevigo from Viladecans, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Caught at the Portugal-Vigo meetup, in Braga.
I liked this book so much. It's truth that you can feel related to the characters, they are too strange, but Hornby's writing is good enough to make you get caught the story.
But I don't like the end. All that things happening througout the story, and nothing changes?

Journal Entry 20 by kartikeya at De Catro, próximo meet-up in Vigo, Pontevedra Spain on Thursday, October 12, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (10/12/2006 UTC) at De Catro, próximo meet-up in Vigo, Pontevedra Spain

Journal Entry 21 by SirTim from A Coruña, A Coruña Spain on Sunday, October 15, 2006
I caught this one in the meetup in Vigo and have just looked at the journal entries. This is a book that has definitely been around and so deserves a lot of care and attention, which it shall duly receive.

Journal Entry 22 by annadrihel from A Coruña, A Coruña Spain on Saturday, April 25, 2009
Caught at today's meet-up in La Coruña. I am curious about this story, after reading the back cover and some journal entries.

Journal Entry 23 by annadrihel from A Coruña, A Coruña Spain on Thursday, March 25, 2010
"I am in a car park in Leeds ..." That's the beginning of the book, and destiny wants me to be in Leeds at the moment I finish reading it. The story also plays in London, so I don't find a better reason to release the book somewhere in one of these two cities, hoping that it has good luck to continue its travel.

Time to let de book free...Good luck! Hope somebody enjoys it as I did....