One Pair Of Hands

by Monica Dickens | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by tutleymutley of Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on 8/7/2006
Journal Entry 1 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, August 07, 2006
Monica Dickens writes engagingly and smoothly - and very amusingly. This is her first book, written about her experiences as a 'cook-general- domestic servant, when she was 22yrs old. She's a bit of an incompetent fraud, and unbeknownst to her employers, very much their equal, which makes a mockery of the British class system of the pre-war thirties. I found the descriptions of the exhausting drudgery of work in the kitchen absolutely fascinating (not the least because I'm a lousy housewife and there but for the advent of a few generations go I) - and all the more poignant as
Ms Dickens could choose to walk away after a year - but millions of young women couldn't and toiled a lifetime away in service. I also found Monica Dickens deceipts a little uncomfortable, although she is so obviously well meaning - there's a fine line between fantasy and lies.

Journal Entry 2 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 16, 2007
Many thanks book now safely with me!

Journal Entry 3 by purplerosebud at Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 08, 2013
I've had this book a very long time and haven't read it yet. This I think is a mistake so I have bought it on Kindle today and will be passing this one on very soon.

Thank you for sending it to me and hope it finds a new reader.