Jennifer Government

by Max Barry | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by ATM-325045 on 8/1/2006
Journal Entry 1 by ATM-325045 on Tuesday, August 01, 2006
From Publishers Weekly
The most unnerving thing about Max (formerly Maxx) Barry's new novel is that its hyperbolic vision of the not too distant future doesn't seem too far out there at all. The world is run by giant corporations who literally go to war with one another; Australia and the U.K. are annexes of the United States; the police are for sale to the highest bidder; and employees take the last name of their employers. Thus, the cast of characters includes John Nike, Georgia Saints Nike (she volunteers at the Church of Latter-Day Saints), Billy NRA, Buy Mitsui, Hayley McDonalds, and so forth. Jennifer Government, a former advertising executive turned government agent, is hot on the trail of the villainous John Nike for murder. As the mastermind of the latest Nike campaign, he planned the murder of 14 teenagers in order to build up the street reputation for Nike's new $2,500 sneaker, Mercurys. Frederick's reading of this wacked-out morality play is first-rate. His obvious enjoyment of the satire fuels his performance. Especially entertaining are his stereotypical foreign accents, which would seem out of place under most circumstances, but they fit the comic book-type characters waging chaos in this saga like an Aris glove.

Journal Entry 2 by ATM-325045 on Thursday, September 07, 2006
This book is about to start its life as a ray...

Below is a bit of a rant by me and the participant list.

Enjoy.

~~~~~~~~

Normal ray rules apply.

~Please journal when you've recieved the book and when you're sending it on.

~Please only keep the book in your posession for 6 weeks maximum, if there is a major problem [like the dog ate it] please PM me and i'll let everyone know whats going on.

Somethinksfishy- aus [sends to]

teuffi- uk [sends to]
yacca3- finland [sends to]
pelikanol- denmark [sends to]
uk-book-lover- uk [the end]

Journal Entry 3 by somethinksfishy from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, October 12, 2006
Received this... yesterday I think! maybe the day before :) hehe
It's next on the pile, really looking forward to it! Thanks :D

Released 12 yrs ago (11/26/2006 UTC) at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Loved this book :D I posted it off to AceOfHearts yesterday, enjoy! :D

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 16, 2006
received this in the mail yesterday. Thanks

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 19, 2006
This book is part sci-fi,part mystery and all satire. Max Barry has created a world that is really out there. An Nike marketing exec decides to kill 14 teenagers to promote his product. What results is a world gone mad. A fun read!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 27, 2006
mailed today

Journal Entry 8 by VVilliam from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 06, 2007
Just got this book in the mail today, and I will begin reading it right away. I've wanted to read this book since I first discovered nationstates.net. Thanks c-a-m and AceofHearts!

Journal Entry 9 by VVilliam from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 13, 2007
An excellent book about a world where capitalism is the law. I really liked the presentation of the book as each chapter is very short and follow one of the half dozen characters. Barry also does a great job making the book action packed and still have his characters shine through. The book also has many great moments that will make you change the way that you look at advertisements and consumerism. A major weakness of the book was that some of it was predictable and is a little slow in the later parts. Definitely the most fun I've seen an author have with naming his characters though.

Journal Entry 10 by VVilliam from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, January 19, 2007
I mailed this book to Aramena in Moore OK yesterday via media mail, (jherusalem got Jennifer Government for Christmas and asked to be removed.) Thanks again for sharing such a great book, c-a-m!

Want to see where this book has been? Check out http://www.bookcrossingmaps.com.

Journal Entry 11 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, January 29, 2007
Arrived today - thanks! Have gotten a few rings close together lately, so it may be this weekend before I get started on this one.

Journal Entry 12 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, March 26, 2007
Wow, I didn't realize I'd had this book so long until I just saw the date on my previous journal entry! My apologies! At first it was a little slow going for me, and I felt like the characters weren't very well fleshed out, I felt no sympathy or connection to any of them. But at some point, without realizing when it happened, I did get very caught up in the book. I especailly liked Buy and Kate, and for awhile Violet...

I'm mailing this out today to Sailorarby.

Journal Entry 13 by sailorarby from Newark, Delaware USA on Sunday, April 15, 2007
I received the book today. I am able to start reading it right away too. I also discovered the book while playing Nationstates.

Journal Entry 14 by sailorarby from Newark, Delaware USA on Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Loved it. I thought it was very funny. I can see where people get the "grain of truth" vibe from it, but I guess I just dont think that way.

I mailed it to colebear today.

Journal Entry 15 by colebear from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Thursday, May 17, 2007
I received this yesterday. Thanks for sharing =)

I'll start reading it just as soon as I finish the book I've got going.

Journal Entry 16 by colebear from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Sunday, May 27, 2007
I very much enjoyed the satire that is Jennifer Government. It was an interesting commentary on the spread of consumerism.

I've PMed amaranta20 and will ship the book when I get an address. Thanks for sharing, c-a-m.

Mailed 6/4/07

Journal Entry 17 by Amaranta20 from Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, June 14, 2007
Yay! I have wanted to read this for years!

A girl at work just loaned me some Nora Roberts book that I am -hating- (seriously, I'm on page 30 and it's been torture since page 1) but I feel obligated to give it 50 pages, but then I will gladly toss it aside and read this.

Thanks for the ray!

Journal Entry 18 by Amaranta20 from Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, June 15, 2007
This book was so awesome. Funny, and scary. I could see the world going somewhere close to there. Maybe not ten years from now, but 100, or 150. I loved the book, though, as maybe you can tell since I read it so fast. Wow. Definitely going to be buying my own copy. Thanks for the ray.

(And ok, I didn't read the other 20 pages of the Nora Roberts book. I can't. I just can't.)

Journal Entry 19 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Received the book today, will start it in the next couple of days but it might take a bit of time for me to finish it as I am currently moving. Looking forward to reading it though!

Journal Entry 20 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, November 18, 2007
Very funny at times, scary at many others... this book should be compulsory at school to prevent the world described in Jennifer Government to ever get that real...

Thanks c-a-m for sharing this book!

Will post the book to the next person in about 10 days as I will have no access to the internet for a few days (due to move) and am then away for a few days. Apologies for this!

Journal Entry 21 by teuffi from Great Bookham, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, December 21, 2007
Apologies, it's taken me ages to actually send the book, received pelikanol's address some time ago, but between moving, holidays, work and Christmas parties... the book finally started its trip to Denmark two days ago.

Apologies to everyone for holding this ring for so long!

Journal Entry 22 by pelikanol from Treherbert, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, December 29, 2007
Oooh lovely! I had run out of books (ok, we all know that's a lie - I have plenty of books, but they just weren't right at the moment ;-). I can't wait to get started with this one.

Thanks for the card, teuffi. Merry belated Christmas and a happy New Year to you, too!

Journal Entry 23 by pelikanol from Treherbert, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, February 14, 2008
Well, I've only read a bit over half the book. It's interesting and funny and weird and I suppose I could finish it if I wanted to, but the story just hasn't really caught me yet. I sure don't hope we'll ever have a world like the one in this book, though! Thanks for making the book ray c-a-m!

The book will be sent to uk-book-lover as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 24 by pelikanol from Treherbert, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 03, 2008
I finally mailed the book off today. Sorry for the delay. I've been ill and a little lightheaded ;)