the cider house rules

by John Irving | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0553196480 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 7/31/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Monday, July 31, 2006
I loved this John Irving novel. One of his best!

From an Amazon.com review:

This is no light read. If you like to read books that address topics like abortion, lesbian relationships, incest,and violence then this is the book for you. The characters are very well done. All of the characters are interesting and you can't help but care what happens to each of them. The graphic medical details I could have done without but like another reviewer said, this book will stay with you. It will also make you think.

This is also No. 238 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Starting a bookray for this book. Please PM me if interested. Bookray will remain open until last person reads the book.

Participants so far:

. aunt-sophie from Canada (international)
. carriehhh from UK (Europe preferred - will ship international)
. Mary-T from Germany (international)
. krin511 from Maryland, USA (international)
. zosime from Wisconsin, USA (international)
. butterfly-noir from Portugal (Europe preferred - near end of ray)
. a-better-world from Portugal (?)
. adeps from Sweden (international)<----Asked to be skipped
. Mizuchy from Romania (Europe only)
. jellyfish67 from UK (international)<----Book is here

* Last person on the ray: Please either donate the book to the 1001-library or pass it on to another bookcrosser as a RABCK, etc.

This bookray is now with jellyfish67! I have already replaced the book because it appeared to be stalled. See: JE for replacement book.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 04, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (8/5/2006 UTC) at Bookray in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On the way to Quebec, Canada.

Journal Entry 4 by VSP-560485 on Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Received today as part of the ring. I'll get down to it as soon as I'm done with the book I am currently reading.

Journal Entry 5 by VSP-560485 on Tuesday, August 22, 2006
I finished this book on my way to work this morning, and I can say I enjoyed it. I had seen the movie a few years ago, but as usual, the book was much better, deeper, especially that some important characters were not even in the movie! It was my first Irving, but definitely not my last. Thank you for sharing it, perryfran!

I've got carriehhh's address and I should mail the book later this week.

Journal Entry 6 by carriehhh from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 03, 2006
Thank you for the note on the cute paper, aunt-sophie! I will start reading this ASAP :)

Journal Entry 7 by carriehhh from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2006
Although it took me a while to read, I really enjoyed The Cider House Rules. Irving is a brilliant writer and the plot was so perfect that I understand why this was made into a film! The characters were really vivid and the story raised some interesting issues, especially as the treatment of orphans and those in foster care is a topic which features in the British news a lot at the moment. However, I am divided with regards to the character of Doctor Larch; is the reader supposed to approve of his treatment of Homer and the other boys? He seemed very patriarchical (I'm not sure I spelt that right!) but in some cases also a bumbling old fool. Later in the novel I thought he seemed more jealous and spiteful towards Homer than loving and would be interested to hear other readers' views on his character.
I haven't yet seen the film but I would very much like to! Does anyone recommend it?
I have PMed the next BCer for their address so hopefully this fantastic read will be flying off very soon :)

Released 13 yrs ago (9/28/2006 UTC) at Grahamstown in A bookcrosser , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off in the mail today - I hope it gets to Mary-T safely :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingMary-Twing from Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, October 07, 2006
The book arrived safely. Thanks, carriehhh for sending and thanks perryfran for organizing this ring.
Since I also have other rings to read - this has to wait a bit. Also I have the feeling that this book will take me some time to read it.
Nevertheless I will try to send this on as soon as possible!

24.11.
Sorry - but I will start reading on the weekend at last. Nevertheless it will take me some time... but as soon as it's finished, I will send it on...
In case someone can't wait any longer - just let me know.

2.12.
It's a nice book!
It took me two chapters until I realized that I already know the movie.
I liked both the movie and the book.

--> On Monday Homer will be on the road again ;)

Journal Entry 10 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Thursday, December 07, 2006
Homer is now in Maryland. I'll probably start this book either tonight or tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Sunday, December 17, 2006
This is my third Irving novel (other two were The World According to Garp and A Prayer for Owen Meany). One thing I like about Irving is that he introduces characters and situations in such detail, and I wonder how he'll bring everyone together, but then I see a scene unfold and I laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Homer will be on his way to zosime tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, December 21, 2006
This was waiting for me after work today. Thank you! I have one bookray book ahead of this one to finish up, but I will read this ASAP.

Journal Entry 13 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, January 07, 2007
What a wonderful book to start the new year! Thank you, Perryfran! This was my first John Irving book, and I loved it. The characters were so alive - Irving wrote about each character in a way that made them seem completely absurd, perfectly normal, and thoroughly human. "That's ridiculous!" I would think, and then, "But we all do it!" I was also amazed by the author's ability to draw nearly 600 pages, spanning many years and involving many different characters, into a seamless narrative where nothing seems superfluous or jolts you out of his world.

Finally, I think the events of the day Homer left the orphanage make for one of the best chapters I have ever read. Delightful.

I will pass this on to Butterfly-noir as soon as I can get to the post office.

Journal Entry 14 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, February 02, 2007
arrived yesterday. I'll try to be quick whit it, but have a few rings on my hands theses days.

Journal Entry 15 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, April 20, 2007
what can I say...I really loved this book, and so much that I find it hard to put it in words. I had seen the movie but the book is so much better. I loved all the caracters, I finished the book yesterday and they are still whit me, I'm reluctant about letting them go and starting a new one.

thank you so much for sahering this wonderfull book perryfan

Journal Entry 16 by lostbookisland on Wednesday, October 24, 2007
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.

Journal Entry 17 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, April 30, 2008
the book is finally on its way to a-better-world, and I do mean the next bc.
I'm really sorry for detaining the book so long. I've been away from bc all this time because of personal issues, i had really problematic times.

its a wonderfull book and deserves to be read and loved

once again I'm sorry

Journal Entry 18 by a-better-world from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Tuesday, May 06, 2008
It got here yesterday, and I'm looking forward to read it. I hope not to take much time, because I'm almost in my Exams Period :S Thank you butterfly-noir and perryfran!

Journal Entry 19 by a-better-world from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Thursday, July 24, 2008
I really liked this book, the characters are surprisingly rich and lovely.
I sent it to Mizuchy a few days ago.

Journal Entry 20 by Mizuchy from Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania and Partium Romania on Saturday, August 02, 2008
Just got it from the post office. However, I will be away for five weeks, and I cannot take the book with me, so it will have to wait till I come back in September to be read.
So sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 21 by lostbookisland on Wednesday, December 31, 2008
And this book finishes out the year by going missing for a second time. Although the Lost Book Island is a friendly place and books are always welcomed we would rather them be travelling the world. Maybe this book will get the chance to roam once more.

Journal Entry 22 by jellyfish67 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Arrived safely yesterday.